Elderly man killed by pitt bulls

Sadly, more bad rap for the breed. Like owner like the dog I believe, and when a psycho gets a dog, he likes to get a pitt…

4 Likes

Fact is, that breed kills more people than all other breeds combined.

Different dog breeds do have different inherent traits.

And yes, very often, sometimes unfortunately (as in sometimes for good, sometimes not) those inherent traits are factors in who chooses that particular breed. For better or worse.

7 Likes

Sad story. Wonder why Sam C had 7 pitties. Wonder why they were out & about. Wonder about animal laws in Texas. Too much not known…

4 Likes

Much is not known, but given the arrest and the charges, it seems some can be inferred. Having 7 loose pitt mixes is a pretty bad start in and of itself.

7 Likes
2 Likes

And pitbulls were bred for one thing… to kill.

1 Like

Defensive dog use.

3 Likes

In the south, breaded and fried go hand in hand…

4 Likes

Its early and I haven’t finished my coffee :rofl:,

2 Likes

I went hog hunting in Texas. They used pit bulls to catch the wild hogs after the bay dogs chased the hog till it was tired. They are fearless!

2 Likes

I’ll agree with you there.

My friends mother adopts pits from the shelter. Every one of them has been sweet and friendly. No problems around children. She even fixes the dog a plate of food on thanksgiving day.

1 Like

I come from a family of veterinarians, and some family who own pitts. I know lifelong veterinarians in the family that are now retired as well.

One of the things they have told me all along: Never trust a pitt around small children. You hear the stories far too often “___ was such a sweet dog never did anything mean in all those __ years” is wha they say after a child was maimed or killed.

Prey drive is a definite thing

7 Likes

:point_up:
THIS

Never trust any wild life. Nature cannot be tricked.

2 Likes

As the old saying goes.
“I don’t have a dog in that fight.”

I’m not a fan of riding horses either because they are capable of making their own decisions. Same goes for overly computerized modern vehicles…

2 Likes

In my town an 8 yo was attacked by a neighbors dog that she had played with for two years (not a pit)…the owner said the same thing. No one knows what the animal was thinking. The father had to shoot the dog to end the attack.

3 Likes

There aren’t many breeds I trust with an 8 year old. Not all can be like a well adjusted golden retriever.

2 Likes

Sounds like the start of every dog-eats-man story I’ve ever heard… Just saying…

Statistically ‘most’ pitbulls are not deadly. But statistically, for those dog attacks that are deadly, most are pitbulls.

multi-year-dog-bite-fatality-chart-2005-2017

6 Likes

I don’t own one. It’s sad how many of them are in shelters. She’s had several. After one passes from old age she gets another.

Speaking of statistically, I’d like to know the percentage of pit bull owners who are renters vs homeowners. Many homeowners insurance policies have a list of dog breeds that are excluded. And mixed breed might as well be Pitt-mix in many cases.

3 Likes

One thing about the pitt is the potential it has to do harm. Lots of dogs bite but they are not strong enough to really do great harm. Pitts are so strong they are very dangerous when they attack.

5 Likes

Surprised Chihuahua is not listed… they can be quite mean… :sunglasses:

2 Likes