Self-defense against a dog

There are so many things to consider when an animal is aggressive, I’d love to hear your thoughts on what you would have done in this situation?

3 Likes

We had an aggressive dog continue to get lose in our neighborhood and because we are out of city limits the city passed it to the sheriff’s department. It finally came down to a few neighbors to talk to the dog owner, he wasn’t getting it till I told him that I carry pepper spray and a gun. If I was out for a walk I would use pepper spray but if he came towards my kids one more time his dog wasnt coming home. This dog wasnt an aggressive breed like a pitbull but it was extremely aggressive. Luckily the warning were heeded and nothing else came about it. He fixed his fence and I haven’t seen the dog out since.

6 Likes

In Missouri we are legally allowed to shoot a dog that is attacking people or livestock. I’m not sure how that works inside city limits, or if its different than out in the country.

4 Likes

I live in Missouri and you are correct. However, many people overreact to the sight of a large dog or to certain breeds. I’d be very, very careful before I shot someone’s dog as their reaction could be quite lethal. Cats on the other hand should be shot on sight.

10 Likes

Did I mention that we have 5 dogs and eleven cats? Just sayin’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
We have had to defend our livestock a time or two… not pleasant because we love dogs (and cats) but they don’t get to kill the lambs or calves.
Can’t say we’ve ever had a neighbors cat try to kill a calf though… :thinking:

3 Likes

I understand. I was really referring to the reaction I see from people when I’m walking my American Bulldog. I live on a farm too and I do understand.

2 Likes

I have been attacked by pet dogs twice, both times while I was in the Army (different places) and not allowed to carry. The first time was a neighbors dog that jumped the face and for reasons we will never understand it decided to attack me. I was walking away from it when I heard it and turned as it launched itself at me. The owner stood frozen in shock as I killed it by snapping its neck (total reflexes no time to think).

The second time I was playing fetch with the dog (tennis ball) with the owner standing next to me. I turned to the owner and told him I had to go and when I turned back the dog lunged at me (again going for my throat). I blocked with my arm and still have about a 2 inch scar where he bit me. The owner grabbed the dog and subdued it before I could do anything else.

My point of these two stories is this, in both cases had I been armed I would not have had time to draw before the dog was on me. In both cases there was no for warning it just happened.

3 Likes

In Illinois, we can shoot a dog with proof of harassing livestock. If you shoot one, in town, you better have proof it was life threatening to a human. When we go for walks in our neighborhood, I keep a knife handy. Some of our friends use “walking sticks” and/or pepper spray.

4 Likes

When my ex was training for triathlons there was a dog that used to chase him on his bike or on foot, trying to bite him for about half a mile. Several attemps to talk to the owner produced no results. He started carrying the heavy end of a two part pool cue… once the dog saw it, he’d go back up on the porch.

1 Like

If I was actively getting attacked by a dog I would first punch the dog in the face to hopefully stop it, then call animal control if the attack stopped but not shoot the dog unless it immediately attacks again.

3 Likes

This is one where you really need to know your state laws. In some jurisdictions you have no lawful use of deadly force against dogs.

As for the old man I’d say in his circumstances I’d have done the exact same thing.

I’ll also piggy back on one of the above posts, killing a dog can lead to an extremely violent reaction by the owner of same so just like using deadly force against a human consider the law and all of your other available options before acting.

2 Likes

I jog around my neighborhood. When I do I carry. I carry a pistol and pepper spray. The pistol is for bad guys and the pepper spray is for bad dogs. I live in Texas and if you shoot a bad guy you’ll be the local hero for a week and probably won’t have to buy your own drinks. However, if you shoot someone’s dog the “pet parent” is probably going to lead an angry lynch mob that includes TV reporters. Besides, the only dogs I’ve ever had a problem with are little tiny dogs that I call heal yappers, so shooting Mr. Fluffs is not going to make for good optics on the 5 o’clock news. Clearly you were not in fear for your life.

6 Likes

Oh so true, @Eric14! Welcome to the Community!

2 Likes

Good, bad, or indifferent there are some breeds like Pit Bulls that there is so much prejudice even where the law doesn’t specifically allow for it, shooting one would probably make you a hero.

Shoot Cujo or Fluffy though and even if fully justified you’re in deep doo.

As you probably know in Rural Texas it’s just understood that if your dog is harassing or attacking livestock or a neighbors family he’s going to get shot and legally so but as you say, that doesn’t stop Johnny Redneck or Suzie Crackhead from showing up with the press and an angry mob or Jobob sneaking up on you in the dark for some payback.

Some of us get way more attached to our dogs than we do our own families.

3 Likes

Same in Missouri, I can shoot dogs or protected wild predators if they are after my livestock, and also to protect humans.
This is a Doctrine of Necessity thing. If it’s necessary for you to shoot a dog to prevent it harming a person or livestock or other domestic animals… if justified, it’s legal. If it’s in its owners fenced yard… not so much.

What if it’s a rustler trying to steal my cattle, instead of dogs? Nope, can’t shoot him unless he’s threatening me. Unless I keep my cows in the house, where Missouri law may let me defend property from home invaders.

2 Likes

This will work with any aggressive dog 1. don’t run 2. stand still and don’t look in the dogs eyes but watch the dog. 3. you can’t not show fear. I had two dogs the owner turn loss on me and I done just that, the dogs didn’t know what to do and want back to the dog house and I walk away. It was funny because I heard his friend say that didn’t work and he was LOL. You have to know this toke about 5 mins and all the time the dogs were braking at me and I show no fear and I didn’t move. Thank You Caser it work.

3 Likes

I live in TX. My husband and I ride touring bicycles 15<>20mls a ride. We’ve been chased/stalked by a quite a few dogs, all sizes. One of my discouraging techniques is little gadget called a Dog Dazer (battery operated) works nicely, to deter most dogs. It supposedly makes a sound people don’t hear but, dogs can. They try to avoid the sound and ypu Have to stay aware and always have a backup.

3 Likes

All but one dog I have encountered has always seemed to get along really well with me.

That one dog was a German Shepherd, probably around 120 lbs. I got a little scratched up but when the open mouth came at me I stuck my hand as far down the throat as possible and literally put a death grip on the back of the tongue. The back of a dog’s jaw is not very powerful so twisted my wrist as far into the back of the jaw as I could get it. I used the other hand on the back of his head to hold him until I could tell he had enough.

When I released him we went our separate ways none the worse except I had a few scratches on the down the throat hand.

5 Likes

Welcome @Diana! Are you referring to something like this:

2 Likes

I’m glad I stumbled across this topic! I was once walking my dog in my neighborhood (a Chihuahua, the x-wife didn’t wanna take care of anymore) and while stopped on a corner waiting for an SUV to pass the driver stopped, rolled down the back window ( I heard the female passenger say No Don’t!) And a giant pitbull stuck his head out barking which of course got my little dog barking. The driver said… My Dawg Wood Like To Play Wit Your Dawg… I kinda nervously chuckled Yea, Okay… then he pulled away. But afterwards I’m kinda freaking out a little thinking what if he rolled that back window down a little more than he meant to and that friggin thing got out??? This was one of the reasons I thought getting a gun and my CCW was a good idea! BUT from what I heard and read, dogs are considered property, and you’re not allowed to use deadly force to protect property in FL. Maybe in a case like this it would be justified? I hope I don’t have to make a decision like that because I love dogs, but our own dogs are like family…

2 Likes