Self-defense against a dog

Dogs are a grey area, considered property, you can be sued for property damage. The animal would have to be on your property without its owner and an obvious threat to you or your family.

3 Likes

Dog Dazer II ultrasonic deterrent, at

amazon.com

Hi Dawn. I’ve never used the Hoont but, Dog Dazer is inaudible to human ears. It is a repellent to most dogs. Some dogs shake their heads or just stay where they are, while I ride by.

A persons Mental control/Positive presentation, is a strong deterrent too.

I also have a number of backup tactics, learned from experience.

3 Likes

5 Likes

I was just joking. I dont like the idea of killing someone’s pet. I have a service dog and can get some pretty ugly comments from uneducated people. If she were injured or killed, it would be a crime and the person committing the crime would need a healthy bank account.

3 Likes

If I have time to take a step … Field Goal Attempt.
If not, were both going to the ground and I’m going to be on top and YES I will bite it.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Not necessarily. A loose dog attacking you on the street, sidewalk etch poses a threat.

The biggest consideration would be the size of the dog and potential for that dog to do you “grave bodily harm” or death.

You would have a legit use of deadly force in just about any state if for example a young child is being mauled or threatened by a large breed or pit bull.

An adult wearing shoes and long pants being attacked by a chihuahua not so much.

The “Reasonable Person” and “Necessity” doctrines should always be applied.

4 Likes

I have pepper spray but I’d be very careful if I shot someone dog. I don’t know if it’s legal or not but be sure we’re that round went

2 Likes

I would go with a large breed or a dog larger than the child. Pit bulls get a bad rap.
This face wouldn’t hurt anyone :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It’s simply a fact that when the pit bull clamps down on a human, particularly a small one they can absolutely do devastating damage, far more than most dogs of equal size due to their jaw design.

2 Likes

Pit Bulls get a bad rap. If you are old enough (and I think a lot of us here are), you’ll remember back in the day when the German Shepard was the evil dog. Or the Rottweiler. Or the Doberman. The pitbull is just the next in that line.

There are some breeds that, yes, are more prone to be aggressive or territorial like the above mentioned GSD, Rotties, Dobbies, Pibbles, Chows/Akitas, lots of terriers, (especially Chihuahuas!) etc etc etc. And most of those breeds if they are of a sufficient size (meaning, not a chihuahua) can do some real damage. The solution is proper socialization and training (of both dog & human).

Where pitbulls get their bad rap is the environment they are frequently set in. In a lot of impoverished neighborhoods they are set on chains in a backyard to protect property. Ignored, without social interaction, yes they become a bit crazed. So when a kid wanders into that backyard, they’re done.

Additionally, inexperienced dog owners who don’t recognize dog behavior clues often will approach or otherwise engage a dog they shouldn’t. This isn’t exclusive to pitbulls. Applies to all dogs, but pitbulls are in the category (as any large dog) of being capable of doing serious damage.

And finally, there are several breeds that are commonly flagged as a “pit bull”: American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier and the American bulldog. Pretty much any dog with that large t-shaped head will mistakenly be flagged as a pit bull, so “dogs attacks by pitbulls” is often an inflated number versus dogs that are actually pitbulls.

And really finally :slight_smile: I think we, as gun owners and enthusiasts should be extra careful in passing blanket statements across a demographic. Don’t let a small number of bad pitbulls color your perception of all pitbulls because they are “scary looking and powerful”

4 Likes

Pit bulls are widely regarded as one of the most dangerous dog breeds. It has a bite force of 235 pounds which is only 71% of that of the Rottweilers. Despite its negative image, pit bull owners testify to the dogs’ mild temperament. If properly trained and socialized, these dogs can be very loyal friends.
_https://outline.com/LDA4CA_

I’ll stand by my statement that pit bulls get a bad rap. They are 6th on the bite PSI.

But you are right, any animal can attack and kill if they are placed in the right circumstances. There was a dog killed by a deer this last week in West Bend (where the USCCA is located):

2 Likes

How many of the 5 breeds ranking higher average the same Height/weight or less than the Pit Bull?

2 Likes

A lot of dog breeds are similar weight/size or smaller. It’s all got to do with the dogs training and socialization. Any dog can be trained to be vicious or to be kind.

I took my dogs to a training class because my pit had separation anxiety and liked to jump all over us and lick us when we got home and I didn’t want the dogs to jump around my granddaughter. I also wanted to be able to walk them off-leash.

My pitbull and German Shepherd were the only two non-aggressive dogs in the group. There was a lab, a couple of mixed breeds (not pit at all), a poodle, a spaniel and some sort of collie-like dog and all were there because of aggression issues. It’s how the dog is trained/handled.

3 Likes

None of the dog breeds listed above the APB are smaller or equal in size with the exception of the wild, not domestic African Wild Dog which is more akin to a wolf.

No domestic dog breed matching the size and weight of the PB has anywhere near as strong a bite force nor do they have the locking jaws of the PB.

2 Likes

… black scary looking assault dogs… dogs used for war…
Um, wait, I think I see a pattern here…

Might have noticed that same pattern for, oh, firearms? Just sayin.

6 Likes

One thing I can say with absolute conviction and 30 years of experience in Animal rescue and 10+ years as a volunteer animal cruelty investigator. I’ve never met a bad dog, as in unredeemable, I have met hundreds, if not thousands, of horrible things masquerading as human dog owners. I’ve rescued dozens upon dozens of Pit Bulls and rehabilitated them in my own home with my family and daughter there, and then put in hundreds upon hundreds of hours finding them a home.

I’ve been bit once, by a German Shepherd, that had been hit by the car in front of me, who didn’t even have the decency to stop and see if the dog they hit was ok.

I will take a pit bull over most humans every day of the week. It only takes one time seeing that pathetic wiggle they have when they realize they aren’t going to be punished. Go to your local Pit Bull Rescue and hear their horror stories.

Me and one other lady have changed 4 cities and their governments laws on anti bully laws.

3 Likes

Fur missiles!

3 Likes

OMG YES! Harley does that - and when her tail wags her whole body wags.

Off topic slightly - The temperature dropped to the teens here in WI over the last 24 hours. Harley, with her short hair, has taken to sleeping on the heater vent - so I got her a sweater. She was so excited when I took it out of the bag - like she knew it was for her!

2 Likes

I saw this blog post on the schedule and have been waiting for it to go live! Here’s @KevinM’s latest blog post - it’s about self defense against a dog!

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/faced-with-a-vicious-dog-should-you-shoot/

2 Likes

Get behind the dog and grab it by it’s flanks lifting it into the air.

Unless the dog’s jaws are locked it will almost certainly let go.

If you can’t get it to let go keep your grip on it’s flanks and stand on it’s neck till you choke it into unconsciousness.

If you have to shoot you’re probably going to be best off making a contact shot with your muzzle against the dog’s chest making sure you have a clear line of fire beyond.

Know your state laws particularly with regard to shooting a dog, in many states it’s flat illegal for anyone other than an LEO, Warden, or ACO to shoot a dog under any circumstance.

In the case of the latter you’ll have to make a choice as to whether or not it’s worth risking a conviction.

3 Likes