El Paso Shooting

Hell if they’d have just been honest they’d probably have had no problem. They had a “reasonable fear” that he was armed and he was a fleeing felon.

Like most similar cases, it wasn’t the original act that hung them it was the cover up.

1 Like

@Zee. Hi Zee, Summer and hot weather is always a bad time for drive-byes, for random shootings, and for turf wars in Chicago especially my old neighborhood I’m originally from the South Side of Chicago also in gang talk now called the High 100’s. Chicago gangs fight for turf because they’re fighting over drugs sales.

1 Like

@Robert8 It looks like all-in war there… I dont know how people stay.

1 Like

Well 3 years ago now I lost my left index finger to the gangs, Latin Kings I had a gun drawn on me, I had my chance took it and got the damn gun away from one of their lieutenants snatched it right away from him and it cost me a finger but I saved my life. I just don’t want to carry my own gun in Chicago because the Chicago PD has a huge huge problem with Concealed carry license holders. The PD are equal opportunity shooters you know

1 Like

You must be aware that Chicago’s outrageous gun control works right :joy::joy::joy::joy::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

2 Likes

I bet that surprised the h*** out of him. I know you took some damage :unamused: Sorry that happened to you, glad you’re still here.

When my hubby lived in Los Angels the gangs from the other side of the highway would sometimes spill over into his neighborhood. He snatched a gun away from a gangbanger once. :grimacing:
Punk: “Hey! Give that back!”
Hubby: “I’ll give it back one bullet at a time if you don’t get out of my neighborhood!”

Mostly they stayed out of his neighborhood.

2 Likes

Chicago if you saw it in the 1950’s, 1960’s, early 1970’s. It’s a completely different culture now especially in the high 100’s.

3 Likes

Saw it in L.A. People had the neighborhood completely change on them and the crime rate sky rocket. They hung around too long and spent their golden years with security bars on their homes afraid to go out. Afraid to go out because their home would be burglarized or they would be the victim of a violent street robbery. God bless my friend and keep your ammo in a dry cool place.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, even as a retired LEO carrying under LEOSA, myself (and others that are retired LEOs) are prohibited from carrying in areas that prohibit firearms.

It was interesting that the soldier that herded the children away from danger was armed. This was part of the news story. I commend the soldier (as retired military myself), but he might be facing some civil action from the “mall” for carrying in their self-proclaimed “gun free” zone.

For those that are not familiar with LEOSA (Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act), it provides a way for those of us (either active or retired) in Law Enforcement to carry in any state or US territory. Although some states have set up some restrictions (ammo type, number of rounds in a magazine, etc.) that we must follow, we (retired LEO’s) are required to re-qualify with our firearm on a yearly basis, to insure we can still accurately shoot. In-addition, before we can carry, we MUST have a background check done before our qualification card is valid (also yearly).

I believe that for those of us that are/have been in law enforcement, there should be some exemptions to the carry laws, because as we all know, most, if not almost all of the active shooters go to “gun free” zones to commit their crimes.

I wonder how many LEOs (or retired LEOs) were there at the Walmart, but were NOT carrying to comply with the mall’s gun free restrictions? How many lives might possibly have been saved if they were allowed to be armed?

1 Like

Great question @Robert98.
Glad you’re here.

1 Like

@Robert98 Kentucky’s enactment of LEOSA is one of the best in the nation. Kentucky allows active and retired LEOs to carry at all times and all locations within the Commonwealth, with the exception of correctional facilities. Over the past few years our legislature passed a law that authorizes off-duty and LEOSA qualified retired LEOs to carry anywhere an on duty officer may carry. A person or entity who atempts to prevent an off duty or retired officer from carrying is subject to fines between $500 to $2500.

3 Likes

I sincerely doubt that Simon Corp is going to jam up that soldier in any way. Especially after all the positive media he has received. As cops who have time on realize there is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. Where we had discretion we exercised it. Simon Corp would face a PR disaster if they went after that soldier.

A little birdie told me many retired LEO ignore those signs at restaurants, stores and malls. Concealed means concealed. I neither confirm nor deny. No further comment. I do tend to avoid those posted businesses because I’ve got plenty of options in Southern CA. The reason is philosophical.

2 Likes

I’m with you brother on this one!

Updates on this incident revealed that he did not plan to shoot-up the Walmart. He initially stop there because he was hungry, then realized it was an opportunity. Check this out:

1 Like

Oddly enough, in an ironic way the anti-gun forces on the left can use this soldier’s actions to bolster their position. They can use his specific participation in this event to argue that only persons with extensive training and experience (military, LEO, maybe certain private security) should be allowed to carry weapons in public. Only these people have the competence and discipline to be trusted to do so. The average citizen, they believe, is to much of an amateur to act correctly in these high stress situations and will likely do more harm than good.

This is the kind of argument which scares me the most, because it sounds reasonable and plausible, at least on its face. Let’s hope they don’t use it.

Regards.

2 Likes

If you look at the vote on HR 218 in Congress and the Senate it was both parties that went for it. One of the arguments for it was the extra bang for the buck trained and experienced armed retired LEO gave the nation after 9-11. Most liberals and left wingers in Congress voted for it.

2 Likes

From the article @Ronald1 posted:

Many in El Paso in part blame President Trump’s anti-immigrant rhetoric for the shooting. Democratic Congresswoman Veronica Escobar said the president was not welcome in the city – but the mayor said he considers welcoming the president’s visit as his “formal duty.”

IMO, The only person to blame for this tragedy is the person who pulled the trigger. It is not anyone else’s fault.

Even if someone told the shooter to go kill people, the shooter is still the one who is responsible.

I’m not going to go into the hostage/forcing people to do things spin here because that’s not the situation at hand.

5 Likes

It’s just the media showing its bias and the politicians showing to them everything is about scoring political points however you can, no matter what the occasion. Seen this movie before (yawn.)

3 Likes

The rhetoric on both sides is both appalling and divisive. The Democrats and media blaming Trump would have just as much responsibility in other shootings if we held them accountable for what has been said. It’s childish and unproductive

1 Like

I know well how many Jack @Jack2 what I don’t know is what you’re trying to make note of it to me. I’m originally from Rosemoor Community my father built the Red brick, Square shaped house with the flat roof decks ( 10101 Vernon Ave. Chicago 60628 )been gone for awhile since 1967, but I keep up on my old neighborhood. Played football at Gatley Park 103rd & Cottage Grove and Little League Baseball at Palmer Park on 115th Street Directly across from Mendel CHS. My fellow gun enthusiast.

1 Like

As a Non-Law-Enforcement & Law Abiding citizen, I feel the only direction is for me to be the trend setter. Stay within the law - not giving the 2A haters any reason (not that they need any) to want to take my guns. By being the trend setter - we set the direction the discussion will take.
Also - being observant and using situational awareness of what is happening around me. Remember the request “See Something - Say Something” - Stay Observant

6 Likes