El Paso Shooting

Sounds right to me @Stephen_P
Welcome to the group

Thank You
I have been reading the comments - some are very good

2 Likes

Michael1 you are so wright time sure has changed.

1 Like

Donā€™t be among the 98% who leave home not being fully dressed.

1 Like

That signage does not apply if you are acting in an emergency.

1 Like

Everything about these shootings makes me sick. I hate, hate, HATE these shootings. They are the biggest reason that I carry a gun with me everywhere I go, and I donā€™t go places I canā€™t carry. El Paso is fairly close to home, too, which makes everything worse.

I have some fairly extreme views on these shootings, so feel free to disagree with me. I wonā€™t be offended.

The first thing we should do is to not just execute the shooter, but I really think we should hang him. There is something visceral about a hanging that is missing from modern executions. If we are going to dissuade future shooters, we need them to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they will hang by the neck until dead, not just go to sleep and never wake up.

Secondly, donā€™t go places unarmed. In Ohio, the shooter only got nine because a good guy with a gun was less than two minutes away. Imagine if a good guy with a gun or three had been on the scene instead of a minute away. We all know that most mass shootings happen in gun free zones. The sign wonā€™t save you. The only way you should go into one is if it is a truly secure building with armed guards. And for me, even that is iffy.

Video games are being blamed again. I donā€™t think they cause the problem, but I do believe that they prepare a foundation. They make violence more acceptable, and for a certain segment of the population, having that particular foundation built is all too likely to result in violence. On a deep level, our brains donā€™t differentiate between games and reality. A choice to mug a woman in a video game is not the same as a choice to mug a woman in real life, but in our subconscious, it really is.

Underneath it all though, I really do think that this is a spiritual problem. In earlier decades, America had easier access to guns, while having surprisingly violent things on television (coyote and roadrunner, anyone). Yet, we had fewer of these shootings. The main change in our society has been that the country has largely turned our back on God, so the Devil has made the most of the situation. Unfortunately, from a Biblical perspective, I expect this problem to get worse, not better.

4 Likes

AMEN :pray:

Not this country onlyā€¦ Iā€™ve seen this in Europe, less access to guns, so instead of shooting Iā€™ve seen bombing or car attacksā€¦

3 Likes

Never let fear of mass shootings affect you or your behavior. You are literally far more likely to be struck by lightening than to encounter one or be a victim in one.

Normal street crime and home invasions are far more likely scenarios in which weā€™re likely to find ourselves in a deadly force encounter.

1.28 million violent crimes in the US in 2017 and only a handful of ā€œmass shootingsā€ like this where you have four or more dead in a single event not related to any other ongoing crime or gang activity.

That isnā€™t to say we should be any less aware of the potential a shooting might be a potential/would be mass shooting but you are thousands of times more likely to encounter just about any other type of violent crime on a day to day basis.

3 Likes

Your right about todayā€™s executions. I have a guy on Death Row in San Quentin I arrested for murdering a woman and her daughter during a burglary gone bad. Hes been there since 1989. He ran out of all appeals long ago. As the arresting/investigating officer I get an invite to his execution. Some of my retired cop buddies ask me if Iā€™ll go. I tell them watching an execution today is like watching an anesthesiologist F up. Whereā€™s the drama? Nahh Iā€™m not going

2 Likes

What democratic lawmakers are forgetting as hard as they are trying to get firearms banned, is that criminals will use any weapon they can get their hands on if they cannot get a gun. And that will never change considering background checks arenā€™t ran on knife sales.

2 Likes

I have had the opportunity to be taught in training over the gun laws on the ā€œGun Free Zonesā€, the legal places that We can carry a firearm legally, and where to stay out of in any federal backed building or federal land. But please clarify this. Most of those signs that are marked ā€œGun Free Zonesā€ are not Federally Issued. County, State, City, and etc. can post legally issued documentation and postings, which state their fines and information on being arrest. (Being put in jail for a legally owned firearm and carrying it.) Legally POSTED PROPERTIES are POSTED, but registered through the proper channels.

Those signs listed unless up held by state and federal laws, ARE ONLY SIGNS.

Many people wish to carry Open Carry and I am from Florida, the laws can protect as well. I rather be armed and cover that safely with clothing and follow our training in Situational Awareness and follow our Safety Rules and COLOR CODES.

Those stupid Gun Free Zone Signs can and will misled any of us, but if it can save a life and keep people from getting hurt badly, do you think that it is wise to continue to carry safely and under our clothes something that is our right to carry. They only can ask you to leave. Thank You, everyone. Please follow your educations, not all of us are military or police. A cell phone and our verbal communications can save lives too.

2 Likes

Some states the no guns posted sign carry the force of law with penalties ,some states they can ask you to leave if you carry anyway, some states they have no force under law.

In any case, if you break state law on it you jeopardize your ability to carry in the future, same for federal violation.

2 Likes

I appreciate your information and I fully understand. My comment are to make someone think, ask, and make proper decisions. USCCA training is very valuable and anyone that teaches. CORRECTLY !!! Thanks, Bill

1 Like

There is no intent to do anything about crime in these proposals as none of them can be shown to have any significant effect on crime rates.

4 Likes

The signage doesnā€™t apply if LEOā€™s are acting in an emergency. I donā€™t think the same can be said for civilians, @WildRose. A bunch of armed civilians rushing into a gun-free zone could cause a lot of confusion and increased risk of shooting an innocent instead of the attacking shooter.

4 Likes

This is a concern about the different laws that govern us and our great USA. There are many people that have spent millions on education and have been serving in government making and working with these laws. We are (people that do their best to be responsible) doing or best to follow the laws that are in front of us and the government or certain people that make these laws on our rights to bare arms are trying to destroy our rights. It sounds like a lot of Legalist Horse Manure and even though we can carry and train with our different firearms, We can not defend our families and ourselves, if it came that time to do so. Legalism at its worst, not freedom. Millions of people have died due to the Rights that we defend, to this very day.

1 Like

Interestingly in the Peoples Republic No Firearms signs do not have the force of law. You can be asked to leave and if an Officer tells you to leave and your dumb enough not to comply then you can be arrested for trespassing. Of course you carrying a gun is going to be an issue.

2 Likes

Hello all, I am new to the conversation. I am from El Paso, TX. The youngest victim of this event played soccer with my 15 year old son. I am doing my best to inform friends and family members of the safety of firearms and the reason I carry. I take my son to the indoor range all the time. I started teaching him about gun safety at the age of eight. We never allowed toy guns to be used in the house, as I donā€™t believe any form of a gun should be taught to be used as a toy. El Paso is a very strong city and this time needs the support of everyone.

7 Likes

It specifically does apply to civilians. LEOā€™s are always exempt from the signage.

The doctrine of necessity.

1 Like

Welcome neighbor, I spent most of two years getting overhauled at BAMC. Love that part of west Texas and NM.

Keep being a good ambassador, thatā€™s about all we can hope to do.

1 Like