El Paso Shooting

Once again a crazy has taken the lives of innocence people and put our 2A rights in jeopardy. What can we, as law abiding gun owners do to help stop this craziness?

4 Likes

another young shooter… maybe the problem sits in education?

4 Likes

I’m unsure of your meaning but, as a teacher I can assure you we don’t teach kids to become mass killers. However, I have observed that today’s parents are adamantly opposed to their little angels suffering consequences for their actions. Maybe the problem is in parenting.

24 Likes

Education and values…

7 Likes

@Michael7, maybe I used wrong word, but what I meant is “family education”. I’m sure teachers are far away of teaching such things like killing.
As a father of 2 boys I do have a responsibility to educate / teach them to be good and valuable people, rise them to be a good father for their children and good citizen to live in community.
My kids had never touched any firearm till the moment I knew they are responsible enough. Now they both have permits, but surprisingly they don’t want to carry. They know how to avoid, be defensive, not get into any trouble.
I see dozen of young people who want to be a “cool guy”. They are angry, irritated or upset. Sometimes it is hard to even talk to them… I do not see such things with people in theirs 40s or more…
I don’t know, I’m not a psychologist, do not even want to be one…

9 Likes

I listened to this on audiobook recently, it has some very surprising insights on why kids become killers. Very worth reading if you are in a position to interact with children.
Why Kids Kill: Inside the Minds of School Shooters

ETA: while 21 isn’t a child, I think this issue doesn’t start when they are adults and it needs to be addressed much earlier.

7 Likes

Jerzy thanks for your well worded reply. I’m very frustrated, like most responsible gun owners, with this senseless violence. I wont call it “gun violence,” but would use the term “human violence.” I’ve seen far to many young people who don’t understand that life isn’t a video game and you don’t get a new life. Thank you for being a responsible parent. I really feel that the issue, as far as young killers is concerned, stems from a lack of good parenting. Again, thanks for your reply. Hope to see you on the range sometime.

4 Likes

Zee you are spot on as usual. Twenty one isnt a child legally but the prefrontal cortex is still developing at that age, meaning some (most) 21 year olds still exhibit child like thinking. I certainly don’t have all the answers but I do feel that we’ve avoided the real issue in favor of the political blame the gun crap that we always hear at such times.

2 Likes

Well, it happened in El Paso, in a gun free zone. Unarmed people are sitting ducks. It’s also a border town, so, a lot of the customers could have been Mexican citizens, who by law would not have been able to carry a gun. The guy walked in with a rifle, wearing “eyes and ears.” This isn’t an act of desperation, or opportunity. This was a planned act of terrorism.

4 Likes

El Paso is gun free, or the Walmart? I wasn’t aware of that… we carry at our local Missouri Walmart with no issues. And yes, sitting ducks :anguished:

1 Like

The shopping center that this particular Walmart was located in. And, the mayor of El Paso is anti 2A from what I’ve read.

1 Like

Much earlier, like the day they’re born. If I have learned anything in my decades, both by personal experience and observation, parenting is a 24/7/365 responsibility. I have seen far too many parents wait until their child turned 6, or 10, or 15 before they started to try and teach them things like manners and respect and responsibility.

I don’t care if you’re a single parent, or poor or rich or working multiple jobs (my wife and I held 5-1/2 jobs between us for a number of years), your most important job is to teach your child how to behave with other people by the time they’re 4 or 5. Then they go to school with 20 or 25 others kids and a teacher, maybe an aide or two, and if the kid is noisy and selfish and pushy and disrespectful and throws tantrums, nobody is going to like him. Other kids don’t like him, adults won’t want to be around him, so he ends up ostracized and isolated—hello teenaged psychopath.

It’s a parent’s job to teach their children how to act like civil human beings; if they dont, they have failed. There’s a lot more a parent can teach, like integrity and honor and morals and self reliance and the pride and dignity to be gained through doing good work. All of that is important, but at least teach to act right.

Regards.

5 Likes

Precisely why I don’t have kids… because I believe that is true. I don’t think there are many things one can do with their life that are more important than raising decent human beings.

6 Likes

Well said, very well said.

1 Like

Well, I believe that these people that feel they have to do these types of shootings, needs to be treated like rabid animals and simply be
Put down on the spot. My opinion.

3 Likes

It seems that very often that’s what the shooters want as well, either killing themselves or making the cops do it. This one apparently surrendered.

Glad you’re here @James99

@Michael7
It still sits in my head… “young killers”… you are right with video games for sure. This is so easy way to screw your brain up. I witnessed it by myself but thanks God I was able to “fix” my son. Being THE parent is a huge responsibility and people don’t understand that 15 - 19 years teenager needs attention. I know so many parents who don’t care, they are happy that kids don’t bother them, they sometimes even don’t know what they kids are doing.
I don’t know what is the cure, how teach parents to be a parent, not only “legal guardian”…

I’m thinking what’s wrong with these young people? Why they attack innocent people? Weakness? Cowardice? If they really need fight, why don’t join US Army? Ufff… I’m so angry !!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

For that matter the CA Walmart in my town is not posted for no guns. I would’t expect a Texas Walmart to be no carry unless El Paso has some kind of City Ordinance. When I kept hearing multiple shooters I was worried CCW holders might have been slinging rounds in their defense. My worry was that right person get hit.

1 Like

It’s my understanding, that the Walmart was in a bigger shopping mall. The mall itself was a gun free zone, making that Walmart such. Walmart adheres to whatever the state law is regarding ccw in their stores.

2 Likes

I checked Google map and it appears that Walmart is west of the mall and separated by a street. Also reporters kept saying that Walmart was “near to the mall.”

However Simon Corp. is the owner of the mall.
“Possession of any weapon at Simon malls, whether concealed or displayed openly, is in violation of mall policy. This policy is intended first and foremost to maintain a safe, secure and comfortable environment at our malls, which has always been our top priority, and to avoid any situation that could potentially place at risk the safety of our shoppers and employees.

Simon malls are private property, and like virtually every other facility in the community that is accessible by the public, ownership/management has the right to prohibit the possession of weapons, both displayed or concealed, other than licensed weapons carried by law enforcement personnel.

Julie Rigby – Longview Mall Manager”

So the question is that Walmart part of the mall? If a person buys a rifle there and walks out with it is he not “armed?”

UPDATE: I just checked that Walmart and they are selling nothing but airguns and firearm accessories.
I can’t bring up any firearms for sale.

Walmart Corporate says the Walmart and nearby Sams Club are located in the Cielo Vista Mall in their statement on the shooting. So I guess that settles the question.

2 Likes