El Paso Shooting

1 Like

Another thing on the video game front. Just some food for thought. Anyone notice that after 9/11 flight simulator games have all but become extinct. They took train simulator games off the market because they were too real. Some of these games the sight picture on those firearms is IDENTICAL to real life.

1 Like

Actually they haven’t. Microsoft still puts out a new flight simulator, and people do use it to get their pilot’s license. Also, I really think it’s important to say, it’s important for me as a parent to be involved in the media my child absorbs, including video games. I know what games he plays, what videos he watches on you tube, I don’t abandon him to the screen and I think that’s a really crucial difference. I don’t hover over his shoulder, but I check in very often, and I ask him honestly. " What are you looking at? What’s it about? That’s awesome tell me more! What’s your favorite? " Being involved is just important and distinctly different from hovering. Fwiw, my kid’s favorite games are the constructive, not destructive ones. Anything where he can create, he will pour time into.

1 Like

I value this man’s opinion on the subject more than anyone else’s. I used to think it didn’t matter either. But after listening to his lectures and doing my own reflection and research I will always believe they are a factor.

1 Like

You’re absolutely correct about being involved and I wasn’t targeting you. I was speaking on a broad spectrum. And I certainly am not trying to tell anyone how to raise their kids. You know your kids and I would believe that if you saw a change you’d step in.

The problem is the parents that dont.

2 Likes

Opinions based in emotion and anecdote and not in fact, is part of the reason we are easily divided today. I’m sorry we can’t come to common ground based on studies and reality that if radio, then movies, then tv, then MTV, then rap music, and now video games really turned people violent we’d all already be dead from the mass outbreaks of it from the millions of movie tickets, CD’s and games sold, to millions of supposed murders.

Moral panic is just another empty ‘think of the children’ trap the corporate news media uses to turn us against each other and keep our focus off of the real problems.

I wish you a good Monday morning and hope your day is pleasant @Sheepdog556 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wasn’t taking it personally, though I can only offer, my own parenting as poor anecdotal example. Most of us intend to try to do best for our kids, I really believe that. A lot of what I do comes from avoiding the abuse from my childhood, and trying to focus and reason on the goals I have, to help my kid be the best equipped he can for when he is not under my wing. I want to leave the world better than I came to it, for him, and hope he too wants to see it better.

2 Likes

It’s not a matter of agree / disagree.
Generation has noting to do with it. If I see the problem, my wife sees the problem and my kids see the problem as well - that means the problem exist and age difference doesn’t matter.

I will blame everything what makes real thinking unreal. I used to play video games by my own for a long time, and I my mind was never messes up. I watched violent action movies, read hundreds books, listened “crazy” hard death metal music
 and I’m still “normal”
 but this is only because my Parents took care of me and controlled everything.

So again - whatever makes young mind think that unreal is real - that’s the problem.

2 Likes

I dealt with Walmart security/loss prevention quite a bit and saw their digital video system. There may be 2 or 3 loss prevention on duty, most likely 2. One may or may not be in the office where the surveillance screens are at. Other employees are not allowed in that office.

1 Like

I work with kids at church. A group of them started becoming overly aggressive recently. When talking with their parents, all the kids that were aggressive, had started playing Fortnite. The parents, noticing this trend, put an end to Fortnite. A few days later, they were back to their normal adolescent selves. Yes, video games, movies, social media, etc will influence a developing mind.

1 Like

Other than Zee’s great post about the media affect, which leads to copycat killings, and a general consensus that we all need to be good parents, grandparents, teachers etc. I haven’t seen any ideas on what we, as responsible gun owners, can do to help curb these tragedies? I listened to a TED talk last night presented by a lawyer who defends people on death row. His insights into the reasons people kill and what can be done to intervene long before someone kills were eye opening.

The Ted Talk is titled Lessons from Death Row Inmates by David Row
I feel it’s worth a listen and could provide directions for further action from us.

2 Likes

Jerry makes a good point, here. In my own admittedly limited experience, there seems to be a growing number of people, young and not so young, who have difficulty distinguishing between fantasy and reality. Not in all aspects of life, certainly, but in one or several aspects. I am personally acquainted with otherwise decent, successful adults who are literally afraid of a zombie outbreak. Seriously. Zombies. Like the ones on TV and in movies. But I am not try to blame the convenient boogeyman of media, though I do believe there is a sliver of responsibility to be laid at their doorstep.

What I see is a creeping increase in the number of adults (let’s say 21+) who lack critical thinking skills. By which I mean, the ability to assess an argument, an idea, a situation, and take it apart to see what it truly is, and then make reasonably informed projections of the consequences of actions or decisions based on those ideas. Critical thinking includes the ability to compare opposing views of the same subject and evaluate them, to pick out their strengths and weaknesses, and to keep the good while discarding the bad from each of them.

It also seems as though an increasing number of adults are quite willing to give up their autonomy of thought and will and decision making, and they do so by accepting an authority. Not just governmental authority, but the authority of a creed, or an academic, or an organization, an information source, or just someone with some experience. Any of these authorities may, and most do, have value to offer, but accepting any of them as a pat answer to the exclusion of others is to abandon our own power of consideration and conclusion. We live in a universe which does not take well to pat answers; they all fail to a greater or lesser degree, and usually sooner rather than later.

To paraphrase: Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate; it is that we are powerful beyond measure.

I believe the we, as a community, have taken one small step to realizing our own power. We have taken hold of our right, our duty, to protect ourselves, our loved ones, even our nation of need be, and we have done so thoughtfully and responsibly and with knowledge of the consequences. That is a huge step towards becoming a fully realized, self actualizing, adult human being.

Regards, and I’ll try not to ramble so in future.

3 Likes

Fully agree. It seems modern parenting means “it is not my child’s fault.” The blame lies elsewhere

3 Likes

Yeah that does make sense. With other work duties and lunch breaks to account for it’s not possible to be aware of everything at all times that takes place (although people do their best). There could have been a number of reasons why this got overlooked. But it shouldn’t have.

2 Likes

Let’s not waste a tragedy, let’s make some money off of it.

1 Like

Democrats are the enemy of the 2A
That being said, we need to focus on mental health treatment, early childhood education (you can predict the prison population by looking at 3rd graders), and focus on building up families. Nothing will be 100% successful but we have to start. Let’s spend the $ on the front end where it does the greatest good.

3 Likes

They don’t deserve a pardon. They telegraphed their knowledge of guilt by trying to cover up the crime.

I might be willing to agree absent the cover up.

1 Like

You Texas jurors are tough!

Pardons should be for people wrongfully convicted or who committed a technical crime for the greater good such as shooting someone in self defense or defense of others justly but still found guilty.

These guys earned their convictions and sentences.

2 Likes

These guys wives were on local talk radio here in L.A. drumming up support for a pardon and financial help. I can’t recall the crime scene alteration and failure to report ever being brought up by the talk show hosts. It was all these guys were convicted for just doing their jobs. If these two weren’t so dumb or lazy and had just requested backup and a supervisor and reported it the way they claimed in court they would still be BP agents. It would have been their word vs. the drug smuggler’s (and the 800 pounds of marijuana.)
From day one of patrol training I was told “CYA, baby, CYA!”