EDC revolver

Did you watch the video? Because that’s kind of what they did, the ones who weren’t stopped kept coming

Sure, often times you get psychological stops. They don’t want to get shot, or get shot again, so they choose to stop. As discussed in the video, 0-3 rounds is enough for a lot of those. Often 0.

But if you actually need to stop them, based on 20% average accuracy rates, and based on multiple fatal shots possibly not stopping an attacker…and based on how often there are multiple attackers…6 starts to seem awfully small.

I also think John is right, what you have in the gun is what you are going to have available to get out of the situation. Time and opportunity for a reload just isn’t something you see in private citizen situations. It’s probably happened to someone sometime, and will probably happen again to someone sometime, but, very unlikely, and probably not what decisions should be based on.

While we are talking about things people do or don’t do based on whatever…

…why does nobody wear body armor?

8 Likes

I said this before, having some kind of hand skills is needed… Judo is my skill

5 Likes

I’m a total advocate for hand to hand skills, choose YOUR flavor but Choose a Flavor.

7 Likes

I posted this a while ago about hand skills

4 Likes

There is no better close in, hand to hand gun than a revolver. I have no confidence in my own hand to hand skills, and as i age i realize my own fragility, which is why i alsways have a revolver in my front pocket, from the minute i get up to when i get in bed.

Sorry, for whatever reason this system doesnt auto capitalize “I” and im too lazy to go back and fix it :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

My number one revolver is a RUGER SPEED SIX double action only with a BOBBED hammer, in Staineless Steel. It has never malfunctioned is very accurate and no longer made.
If you ever have a chance to try one you’ll start looking to purchase one.

4 Likes

In a one on one struggle where the attacker has their hands on you I agree a revolver does have its advantages if you don’t have the physical skills or ability to create space and time. But I would still want to have some practiced physical tricks up my sleeve in case my hand on the revolver was pinned so I couldn’t get to it or couldn’t direct it towards the attacker.

There are some options and moves that require very little strength in order to buy time to effectively deploy your firearm. Like a knife you can get to with your off hand or a palm jab to the chin or a finger stuck in the eye, head but to the nose, etc. It’s good to have a plan B and if your attacker thinks you are significantly weaker they are much more likely to give you an opening to use it.

4 Likes

A revolver is always a good choice. Even though it could happen a revolver seldom fails. The only advantage for the semi automatic is capacity. That’s a personal decision. It could come down to what you feel confident about and shoot the best. I suspect in a real situation that you have to use either the amount of practice and skill you have will determine the outcome.

2 Likes

I suspect that for most the semi auto gains on capacity and on accuracy at speed.

Put them on the clock, tight defensive drills kinds of times, distances more than point blank included (like out to 7 or 10 yards at least for at least one drill/stage).

Having reciprocation and the spring to slow/smoothen the recoil impulse + shorter lighter crisper triggers makes the vast majority of people shoot the semi better, especially when they start pushing for accurate shots in the quarter of a second split range

7 Likes

I carry my Dan Wesson 715 when ever I can. I like the versatility of changing out the different length barrels. Many EDC friends ask why a revolver. I just tell them I like the positive shooting experence.

3 Likes

I like the revolver I use for edc. Dan Wesson 715 with interchangeable barrel lengths.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about the Boxer, glad it didn’t come apart. But “minute of barn” hilarious :rofl:

4 Likes

In at least 2-3 houses directly backstopping the perp. Watching some YT vids on penetration of various calibers was scary. Any caliber could easily hit all walls in a house and go right through it if it missed all tuba fores.

2 Likes

A while back we had a drive by in the church parking lot across the street from us, the cop said one of the rounds went through one car window, through an exterior wall of a home, through an interior wall of the home and they found it in a china cabinet where it had hit a dish and broken it. Probably 25-30 yards.

3 Likes

Like any other kind of tool, there are different variations for different situations and different jobs. The reason there are so many different guns is for the same reason that there are so many different ways to turn a nut or bolt. To say a socket set is always best, and a set of wrenches is too limited to consider, would be a silly thing to say for anyone who had any experience.

Most of the time a socket set is faster, more convenient, and sometimes more versatile, while wrenches are less prone to failures, but are limited, and still can’t do everything. However wrenches afford me certain options and abilities not possible with a socket set. It is the same argument with guns.

A semi-automatic is most often the gun of choice for me, unless I expect, or anticipate a significant chance of needing, the revolver attributes I can’t so easily access with a semi-automatic, ( if at all ).

One example was carry in the mountains that I once lived in where self-defense was not limited to two legged creatures. Bears were frequent visitors to our property, often encountered upon returning home. A .357 magnum, loaded with most, or all the chambers containing a good self-defense +P .38 special, gave me a good, controllable, accurate self defense round that was not overpowered for inside the home or inside the neighborhood. Yet I could have a couple of rounds in the gun, or a speed loader on stand-by, with full house deep penetration magnums. ( this is just an example for illustration purposes ).

Occasionally I find the simplicity, and unique options offered by a revolver, to be desirable for various reasons.

Choose the tool that fits your needs, fits the job, and matches your skill level and training opportunities.

Though I was an experienced shooter, my first carry gun was a revolver. When I moved on from that, I consciously chose to keep the revolver because it had attributes I wanted to be able to return too when the situation called for it.

Semi-autos have become so good that they usually seem to be the better option for a variety of reasons but there do remain a few things that a revolver can do that an auto cannot. It just depends on what you most want or need. A good instructor can help you sort those factors out for your particular situation.

5 Likes

Gotta say it:

Ratcheting wrenches are sweet :smiley:

6 Likes

Yes they are! Until you realize, as a paid mechanic, that now you have to buy two MORE SETS of wrenches! And they best not be the cheep ones! ( cheep one’s are a nightmare )

Edit: I wonder what the gun equivalent of that would be…

5 Likes

Gun equivalent? hmm. Buying a dedicated sight pusher/installer for every brand of pistol you own or might own? Full set of every possible size of star and torx and hex and whatever else, metric and standard as applicable, in triplicate t-handle and L/allen shape and screwdriver style for all possible combinations lol

6 Likes

Your post implies that I now need a THIRD carry gun option!, (exaggerated sigh)… well, if you insist. — ( thank you!, I’ll tell the wife right away… ) Honey? Where did we put that EDC catalog?

6 Likes

In the vast number of civilian involved self defense shootings, a revolver contains plenty of ammo. I carry a .327 magnum 6 shot Ruger revolver, small, light weight with several levels of ammo power available. The Three MOST IMPORTANT issues in a defense shooting is 1. bullet placement, 2. bullet placement 3. bullet placement. All else is secondary.

Your picture shows all ball ammo, I would be concerned about over penetration with .375 loads.

Your revolver and mine produce a very loud report when fired, consider that your hearing may never be the same after a .357 shot - what is you fire in a small closed area like in a tiled bathroom or similar.

Consider bobbing the hammer, then you can’t be accused of having cocked the gun and firing by mistake. Who is the local prosecutor and what is his/her position on self defense. What if it is a cross racial shooting? You want the shooting to be as clean as possible AND have USCCA protection.

4 Likes