EDC revolver

In support of the revolver option.

For me, EDC is no single item but rather it is the package as a whole. That means the gun, the ammo, and the holster can all be singled out separately but they still have to come together and work as a whole, or the whole thing doesn’t work.

As a result of that, my EDC revolver, loved for how well it works in it’s role as a part of a whole, turned out to be one of the ugliest guns I never wanted to own.

We used to call the snub nosed hammerless 38’s “lemon squeezers” because that’s about how aesthetically pleasing we thought they were. But you try and find a revolver light and comfortable enough to carry concealed on a skinny body on a hot day, that has enough power to get the job done, and do so comfortably enough that you will carry it every day, all while fitting your hand well enough that you can shoot it accurately…snag free, simple, reliable. It’s even one of the most difficult guns to accidentally fire.

It’s looks didn’t much change, but the way I looked at it sure did.

Lastly, I considered what it might mean if, as those with experience will often say, the crisis is upon you, your being rushed, and your brains fall out your backside, leaving only training and instinct still working in that moment. what carry gun would work best then? … especially if I can’t train as much…well, no slide to come out of battery, no safety, no “round in the chamber” questions, no magazine to drop or be too loosely inserted, and no “wrong ammo” failures to cycle or eject, just… draw, point ( if necessary ) and shoot,- or don’t- , and all with a trigger that has to be deliberately pulled, you can’t just “touch” it too hard. And It doesn’t even need a round in the chamber indicator because I can see the rounds. - If I was looking for an EDC that would help mitigate as many mistakes as possible in a sudden crisis moment, that “ugly lemon squeezer revolver” seemed capable of even that inglorious chore.

I get how a revolver is seen as a “less than” option in the modern age. And that thinking has it’s validities, but for a given, and not too uncommon set of circumstances, a revolver is pretty much impossible to beat, not because it isn’t limited, but just maybe because it is limited, in the mistakes you can make in that sudden onset moment that you never saw coming.

It was my first carry gun, and if I was limited to one single option for a concealed carry gun to cover any and all circumstances without knowing what they were, That would be the option I would least want to be without.

7 Likes

The barrel was spotless, even used JB compound on a patch and no lead flaking , no leading on the forcing cone
the cylinder seem sloppy as far as indexing
the company thinks the cylinder is too short for the frame
personally I think the alloy frame stretched to the point that it quit shooting
all the rounds were target loads, lead swc, hbwc, full wad cutter
nothing was ever put threw the gun +p or hot loads.
Ive been reloading for 50+ years and never had this happen before

5 Likes

That’s impressively bad, it sure sounds like you got a bad gun. I’ve had two guns that had to go back after manufacturing flaws were spotted during the initial pre-range cleaning, and that by quality makers. It’s disappointing but it definitely happens. A stretched frame is particularly worrying if that were to be what happened!

5 Likes

well my wife got a new gun for Easter
A new S&W Shield EZ in 380 to replace the revolver
She has a LCP in 380 but that little snot rocket stings the hand
so we went with a better set up for her

10 Likes

I bet that’s a very comfortable gun to shoot, I’d be interested to hear how you feel it works after experience with the .38 and the little Lcp,

2 Likes

The best post! Thank you!!!

3 Likes

I have a 380 EZ and its a wonderful shooting gun. Very accurate and smooth, easy to get back on target.

4 Likes

Good choice, friend. I have everything from 44mag to .22 and carry a 38 snub daily.
However, on the amount of ammo. I have two reloads and pray that will be enough if ever needed.

4 Likes

I can virtually guarantee that you will run out of time long before you run out of ammo if it requires reloading twice.

It’s really time, there.

(and part of why I like an 18 round capacity firearm, it’s like two built in reloads without taking the time)

3 Likes

Thank you DS-1. I’ve heard and seen that cylinder build up. If I purchase a used .357, I’ll inspect with flashlight and soft stick: I’ll never use a .38 ammunition in it. Sincerely.

6 Likes

I appreciate your informed choice of a 357 Magnum revolver as your everyday carry (EDC) weapon. It’s clear that you’ve considered its stopping power and versatility in ammunition selection and that it aligns with your lifestyle and requirements.

However, I would like to challenge a few assumptions you made in your post. First, while revolvers are known for their reliability, it’s important to remember that they are still mechanical devices and can malfunction. As someone who has carried handguns for over 50 years, I can attest that revolvers and semi-automatics are equally reliable when properly maintained and used correctly. Ya, I’m old …lol … Yes I still train with pistols and revolvers to ensure proficiency and familiarity.

Second, while statistically, the likelihood of needing to reload in a civilian personal defense scenario may be low, it’s important not to rely solely on statistics. Based on the pictures you submitted, it appears you are still carrying extra rounds for reloading; good for you! Being prepared for any situation includes considering worst-case scenarios and planning accordingly.

Third, as for stopping the power, I agree with you 100%. Ballistically one round of 357 has greater stopping power than one round of 9mm. Again, here you’re assuming that the 357 and the 9mm both had the exact defensively accurate hit. In your post, you’ve asserted that you use lighter, less powerful, and less expensive ammunition for practice when compared to your EDC ammunition. That would be a huge mistake. Over the years, I’ve seen many people practice with 38 semi-wad cutters, 38 specials, and lighter practice loads exclusively. Only to find that when they attempted to achieve the same defensive accuracy with heavy hitting 357 Magnum EDC loads, they couldn’t because of the substantially heavier recoil. Consequently, their accuracy and ability to achieve defensively accurate hits significantly diminished. The 9mm semi-automatic shooter uses FMJ ammunition for training and hollow points for EDC, which are ballistically very similar. Consequently, the shooter can maintain accuracy and efficiency with practice and EDC loads. I think you’d agree that one well-placed 9mm is better than one miss with the 357 Magnum.

You asked for opinions; it doesn’t make me right or you wrong; it’s just a different point of view.

Stay safe

11 Likes

I carried a .357 on a SAR unit back in the day. The OP might want to consider that snub barrels can play havoc with performance when it comes to velocities. Back then it took at least 4" of barrel length to burn the powder efficiently in order to 'shroom our preferred 125gr SJHP loads. 6" was better.
Maybe that’s changed, but it’s worth considering anyway.
Even with my .38 snub, I 'll pass on the legendary 158 gr LSWC HP+P as I’ve yet to see them reliable 'shroom out of a 2" barrel, preferring less muzzle blast and faster follow ups with a 158gr SWC std velocity.

6 Likes

I think 6 rounds is prudent enough if you’re well-practiced. Obviously it’s possible for a civilian to need more. It’s possible that you would need more than 30, and it’s possible that you would never survive long enough to shoot 6 regardless of what you were carrying. My philosophy is to plan for unlikely events of an ordinary variety rather than ones that are less likely than winning Powerball with one ticket. For ordinary threats, revolvers are a valid option. I don’t think too much in terms of stopping power, though. Expect your assailant to keep being a threat for 20 seconds or so after you make a well-placed shot, unless you’re lucky enough to find the off button with a CNS hit.

5 Likes

She’s purdy.

1 Like

Very nice revolver!

I’ve been eyeing an additional S&W revolver for my collection and possibly for EDC. Although I currently carry a 9mm, I’ve thought about going back to 38/357 because I just shoot them better.

1. MOST encounters will require less than 6 rounds. However, there’s much debate on those statistics because those numbers generally show shootings that include Law Enforcement. I remember an encounter in Santa Maria, CA where the multiple police fired until empty on a single perpetrator (Imagine 3 Glock 17s emptied on someone). I haven’t been able to find much on civilian ONLY encounters, since the press usually stays silent on that.

2. Revolvers can and do fail! Sometimes, it something minor like a powder grain under the star extractor or a backed-out primer. I’ve had both happen. Most other failures will be catastrophic where you’ll need to get a gunsmith to fix it.

That being said, any mechanical device can fail, but which ones are you willing to bet your life on?

I like my 1911, S&W M&P Shield, S&W CSX, S&W 19-1, S&W 36-1, and Colt Night Cobra. Any and all or combination of them, I am willing to rely on a daily basis.

Certain issues can be mitigated with proper training and by not using reloads, but that’s for another discussion.

6 Likes

Another I had regret selling. A Colt Night Cobra 38. For me, I liked the look from an artistic view, never had another ever fit so well in my hand. Jokingly, I uses to say, if “Batman” ever carried a revolver, that’d be it.

5 Likes

5 days ago video on ASP.

His compilation ranges from 0 to 6 rounds

But the 6 round example, he used all 6 rounds in his revolver against 4 attackers, ran out of ammo, and seems to have suffered serious bodily harm because he only had 6 rounds.

Also, John says "whatever is in the gun, is how many you are going to have available to win the gunfight

2 Likes

I would like to know 38 or 357 in those revlovers.

if threats are that close to me and I am EDC a 357 with 6 shots i am pretty sure i will not miss.

Plus, I am only guessing none had traing.

He made some good points-

2 Likes

One thing John’s channel has taught me…MANY people miss, and miss close. A lot.

How much experience do you have shooting at a moving target, while moving, under imminent deadly threat stress? Remove the stress part, just make it you moving and shooting a moving target.

Also, even if you don’t miss, 6 shots is probably not enough to physiologically incapacity 4 attackers. Remember, even in .357 mag, these aren’t magic bullets, there is no guarantee that even a good hit will stop an attacker immediately (or at all). People who are determined often take multiple fatal rounds from handguns and continue to fight.

6 Likes

I suspect, if I get 3-4 shots off at 2-3 attackers, at least one of them will loose interest and at least one of them will be injured. I think the idea that attackers will run through a hail of bullets just because they are attackers seems to fail when the first loud bang is encountered.

4 Likes