EDC on cruise ship

I am leaving my home state of Oklahoma to Florida to board a cruise ship for vacation. I cannot board the ship with my firearm. What are my options? I do not want to leave my EDC at home and am getting a rental car to travel in so I cannot leave it in the car.

Some options depend on how badly you want to have the firearm other than the ship.

Rent a car for the duration and find somewhere you can park/pay to park it while you are on the ship, locked in a safe in the car out of sight and attached via cable lock to the seat frame?

I’d suggest asking an FFL if you can pay them a fee to hold it but with handguns I don’t even know if they can do that since you are out of state, but wouldnt’ hurt to call and ask maybe they can and would for a fee since it’s your own gun they’d be ‘transferring’ back?

Some kind of a storage locker? I haven’t ever looked for a storage locker for a short thing like that maybe someone else will have a suggestion of a thing there.

2 Likes

NOT a post office box!
I don’t travel much, but would also like to know options.
Good question. Buy another gun and ship it to an FFL in Florida?

3 Likes

You can’t take possession of a handgun out of your own state though, even at an FFL. This is what really makes it tricky as far as I can tell

2 Likes

I did not know that, thanks.

Yeah, this “shall not be infringed” thingy isn’t at all like it’s supposed to be.

Here’s a business opportunity for Port Canaveral, the world’s busiest cruise port

3 Likes

It is not at all what the document says it is supposed to be

4 Likes

I can not speak for Florida or most other places in the US but I know here in Illinois, Missouri and Indian there are a lot of storage facilities that have a clause in the contract that no firearms or weapons may be stored on the premises. A lot of us found that out in Illinois with the enactment of the “Assault Weapon” Ban.

2 Likes

I found this suggestion. “Drop the pistol off at a local (Florida) gunsmith, for a professional cleaning. Pick it up after the cruise for the trip home.”
also- “Call a local (Florida) gun shop to see if they will hold it for you for a fee.”

3 Likes

But you CAN ship the gun to yourself to another state C/O someone else as long as they do NOT open the container and take possession. Only you can as long as it’s legal for you to posses the gun in the state you are traveling to.

3 Likes

Just have to know someone at the other end I guess.

2 Likes

This is true. Sounds awkward logistically, but possible.

However, he is he is getting a rental car to travel, and going on a ship, I made an assumption he was driving that rental car to FL and would want the gun to and from. If driving to FL and doing the ship I guess maybe there is time in FL not on the ship he wants it for?

We may need some clarification here to help best

4 Likes

Not sure but worked in every spy movie I’ve ever seen, just sayin’

Bus, train or airport security locker!

IMG_5552

5 Likes

Usually the bad guys though, wasn’t it? :wink: Then again, we are being construed as bad guys by the media and most liberals…

3 Likes

Yep, or I just read too fast which is always possible…

3 Likes

I would suggest less lethal but still effective alternatives.

3 Likes

I like the idea of having a local gunsmith perform maintenance or do some custom upgrades while your away.

5 Likes

Fantastic idea, I’ll be traveling to a communist state, the idea of having some upgrades and a deep cleaning, by the local gunsmith sounds like the safest place!

3 Likes

No can do in commie Kali

5 Likes

@Ricardo41 and @Craig171 Welcome to the community!

1 Like

I’ve only been on a cruise ship once and for the life of me don’t remember a metal detector while boarding. Of course the flight to and from did. :roll_eyes:

Automobile is chosen form of travel by far.

1 Like