Cocealed carry aboard the "lake express" car ferry from muskegon mi to milwaukee wi

This is simply information for anyone who has interest in transporting your EDC on a motorcycle, while using a car ferry such as the Lake express from Muskegon to Milwaukee. Taking the ferry is a really fun experience and lets you avoid the hassles of Illinois traffic and reciprocity issues. My wife called ahead and received instructions on locking the pistol up in its own case, and keeping the magazine/ammo in a separate place, in her case, the pistol in one saddlebag and the magazine in the other. She went over a few days ahead of me and had slightly different experience. When she arrived at the loading gate she was asked if she was carrying firearms or explosives. She answered accordingly and was simply given a yellow “post it” note to put on the bike indicating that there is indeed a firearm on the bike. She was never made to produce the gun. My experience however, I was asked to show the gun to prove it was unloaded and I did no problem, very carefully and confidently unlocked the saddlebag, pulled out the case, removed the padlock, and produced the pistol, slide back and ejection port up, just the way I packed it. I was given my own “post it” note and cleared to proceed. In conclusion I will say that you might anticipate some inconsistencies but as long as you do everything right you will be fine. The crew was fantastic by both accounts and I highly recommend this method of travel. I hope this helps someone.

10 Likes

Does it really count as “carried” when it’s disassembled & double locked?
Unless there are specific signs prohibiting it, I’d keep mine under my shirt…

2 Likes

@John_K Thanks for the information. The same can be said about air travel. MKE handles firearms differently from MCO and MCO handles them differently from DEN. All things considered, just follow instructions and allow for extra time.

3 Likes

Definitely was posted "firearms prohibited "

2 Likes

Bummer.
Still beats the snot out of driving through Illinois though…

3 Likes

yea no kiddin especially on bikes.

2 Likes

Happy Anniversary @Marrio and thanks for sticking around, enjoying your posts.:+1::+1:

1 Like

Thanks Brother! Echoed back at you!

1 Like

Although following posted procedures takes precedent, when I know I will have my firearms inspected I take bright colored zip ties (from the hardware store) and use them as chamber flags. I have the head sticking out by the chamber and the tail sticking out of the barrel. This way I don’t have to store the firearm with the slide locked back unless required.

4 Likes