RV travel and concealed carry storage

My wife and I are retired, grandparents, and have recently joined the nomad lifestyle in our RV.
IF I were to travel across the border:
Does anyone know of any type of legal storage whether it be state police or local sheriff or even a private entity like a gun store, that would be willing to take our firearms into secure storage while we are traveling across the border.

7 Likes

As in, you’re going to Mexico or Canada?

4 Likes

Yes
We’re also planning on a trip to Alaska.

4 Likes

Best I can offer is good luck. Handguns are particularly difficult as you cannot even acquire or take possession of a handgun outside of your state of residence per federal law.

Perhaps start by calling gun stores/FFL’s in the state(s) you will be departing from and returning to

5 Likes

Thank you

4 Likes

You can contact LEO’S and gun shops near your entry point to see if they offer anything.

Or have an FFL ship them to another FFL and pick them up there. Provided you’re going to Alaska

5 Likes

Its as easy as a safety deposit box, self storeage center, or stripe it down and leave it with family or friend.

7 Likes

Be aware that stripping it down won’t change anything about leaving it with family/friend. If the family/friend reside in a different state, it must go through an FFL. If same state residences, then it’s up to state law.

Safe deposit box may work swell though.

7 Likes

Welcome

5 Likes

@RevTim Welcome to the community, and looks like Jamey1 has a great input you can look into, hope you guys are enjoying RVing!!!

4 Likes

I appreciate all of the responses.
Be safe out there.

4 Likes
  • Generally speaking, you may bring up to threeallowed guns across the border if you fill out a form and pay a fee in Canadian dollars. When you arrive at the border, you will declare your firearm, provide the required documents as listed below, and answer all questions truthfully.

Bringing a Firearm into Canada | ezbordercrossing

Or take the ferry

7 Likes

@Gregory232 Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you with us. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Have they finished the fence separating Canada and the US? Just kidding! I pray you have a safe and joyful time RVing.

5 Likes

Almost done. :+1:

Look at Canada now. :rofl:

4 Likes

In 1975, it was just a 6’ chain link fence! :rofl:

5 Likes

Rent a climate controlstorage unit, buy a solid metal safe or storage cabinet, lock your guns in the cabinet and lock the the cabinet in the storage unit. An inside small (closet sized) storage unit in a reputable place is cheap and most have great security including cameras and such. Also check you homeowners insurance coverage to see if it covers out of the house stored goods. Not all do.

5 Likes

Good point. And while checking the homeowners insurance also check the limit for firearms, a common standard is a $2,500 limit for firearms unless you get an endorsement for more

4 Likes

@C111 Welcome to the community!

3 Likes

@Gregory232 Welcome to the community, and great information.

4 Likes