Hotels and motels

Making plans to travel through six extremely gun friendly states. Plan to only stay “overnight only” in any given state, as cheaply and safely as possible!
Question, is it safer to keep my rifle with my body or locked in my vehicle trunk? Vehicle is a new four door sedan. No gun decals, only military service decals and zombie apocalypse emblem!

My carry piece, is permanently attached to my body, so that is not in question. Where I go it goes!

13 Likes

I’m not too keen on leaving any firearm in my vehicle and I don’t care how safe they tell me it is. My firearms stay with me if I can legally do so. That’s just me.

19 Likes

Thank you. Here’s the tricky part. During my travels I will not know where I “plan” to stay, so inquiring about a particular hotel/motels rules is not an option except for the sign that may be posted. I pride my self on discretion so I can probably get away with small infractions of a hotels rules. It’s strictly an eight hour stay, sleep, dress, coffee, slip out covertly, undercover over of the crack of dawn. I will have my wife with me, so she takes point.:+1::wink:

7 Likes

Have fun during your travels brother @Scott52 just be careful and stay vigilant and guard those firearms. God bless you and stay safe.

4 Likes

Pack it in a violin case…who’d know the difference! In all seriousness though, I would keep it with you as opposed to left in the car. You just never know…

11 Likes

I like the violin case idea. I would keep all my firearms with me if I leave my vehicle. Have a good trip and have fun. Stay safe ,Bruce and Nancy. :+1:

10 Likes

First off enjoy and be safe. Secondly, check the map on all places of travel. See how gun friendly and what is said about hotels and motel. If unsure, ask if they are gun friendly ( I did on my visit to North Carolina ). If they are not just be safe and find a place that is. Vehicles are to easy to get into.

4 Likes

Yeah I have a, let’s call it a really hard to find" safe in my car and I won’t leave anything unattended in it for long

4 Likes

I don’t think that asking people to vote is terribly useful. If you’re asking the question, you’re concerned. Put/keep them where it makes you comfortable. I travel with only a concealed unit and keep it in the hotel, not for concern about theft, but for protection in the hotel, on the way in and out (frequently nighttime), and so that I have it on my as we run to meals, etc. If the long gun is of value, take it in. Id not, it likely matters little. Enjoy the trip!

5 Likes

I once locked my keys in the trunk and found the only way to retrieve them would be to “break” a window, which I was not prepared to do. Guess I answered my own question, I’ll be sleeping with my rifle.
Thanks, just looking for opinions!

4 Likes

I slept with my m60 ever night while in the service. Lol

10 Likes

When I travel my rifle would be packed into my rolling suitcase. No one was the wiser. I’ve since added an AR pistol to the tool box so traveling is much easier as far as your scenario goes.

7 Likes

I slept with missiles (Polaris and Poseidon) and MK 48’s! does that count?

8 Likes

Guitar cases work well.

8 Likes

My practice is to bring it/them inside and chain them to a secure item (bed frame, radiator) so that they can’t be easily stolen, particularly while I am in the shower, the restaurant, etc.

6 Likes

Take it inside, perhaps get this case

7 Likes

Never left my firearms in my truck. I always take them in I just use a cart and put them on the Bottom is I have to. To protect me at all cost and anyone else. Good luck on your travels and be safe

5 Likes

I would not leave any firearms in the car overnight. Maybe if you have a very secure safe bolted to the car.

I’ve traveled a lot in my past life and have very rarely ran into a hotel/motel in a 2A friendly state that specifically prohibits firearms through a sign on their door or posted policies. Might be a “don’t ask, don’t tell” kind of a deal.

Safe travels!

7 Likes

At the times we live in I would not leave anything in the vehicle, especially in plain sight! I don’t think I would leave anything in the vehicles I might need to fight my way back to the vehicle.

7 Likes

I had a difficult decision to make when I was taking a 2 or 3-day CCW course. At that time I had to stay in a hotel because our home was being repaired and new water pipes were being installed. The interior was a mess because they had to tear into many walls and some of the roof. So I had to stay in a hotel during that time and I happened to be taking that CCW class. I’m in very anti-2A county but I really had no choice. I was taking my gun in and out of the hotel every day for 2 or 3 days. I wonder if a hotel room can be considered your domicile for the days that you have to stay there. In that case wouldn’t it be like your home since you can’t stay in your home? So if yes, then wouldn’t I be allowed to have a gun in that hotel room for my protection as well as a loved one who is staying in another room nearby? It’s complicated but a question I always wanted answered.

4 Likes