Does your state allow you to carry in...?

October is synonymous with Octoberfest and Halloween for many people. It’s been a very unusual year and many people are looking for some semblance of normalcy – including parties and holidays.

As responsibly armed Americans, we know that alcohol can impair our judgment and we avoid drinking when we carry.

What does your state’s law say about firearms and alcohol?

Not sure? Check out the USCCA Reciprocity Map here.

5 Likes

You can carry into a bar but as soon as take even a sip can result in a huge fine and possibly losing permit.
Tennessee

6 Likes

It’s on my permit: Not Valid if consuming alcohol or remaining at any establishment that primarily serves alcohol

4 Likes

I have a working policy that I maintain for professionalism. 1. Do not drink at the place you work. 2. Do not date anyone you work with. 3. Perform tasks as if it is the most important tasks to be done. 4. Do Not take short cuts if it will reduce the quality of the final product.
How does this conform to the question? If you are carrying a gun you are bearing a big responsibility and to mix alcohol with this responsibility is asking for trouble, just like drinking at your work whether it is a business party or not is a standard of professionalism that I like to bare.

10 Likes

Even if you never even touched the firearm, couple of drinks and too relaxed, someone could swipe it!

5 Likes

We had a case/lawsuit in Tennessee… lady didn’t drink , had left her pistol in the car. When she left the bar headed back to her car she was attacked.
That changed conceal carry in Tennessee big time… wma’s started allowing conceal carry and company’s can’t prevent employees from bringing firearms onto property…

6 Likes

My state of SC does allow CWP. Of course not when drinking at a bar or drinking. What I dont understand is why we are unable to carry to church as members! I would think if that were allowed these church killlings could have been stopped and people saved from being shot & killed! Sorry I carry to defend myself, loved ones with me ^ those around in danger. Plus we have the 2nd Ammendent to carry.

6 Likes

In my opinion if you carry you don’t drink! Period.
No matter what laws are out there. Alcohol 0 grain, 45acp 230 grain, any questions? It’s one or the other, personally I don’t drink. At my age who doesn’t have controlled substances in their medicine cabinets? As long as you’re not impaired!
State laws say no alcohol, no chemical substances or controlled substances that impair judgement. However in a subsection, it states that it doesn’t apply to persons exercising lawful self defense or defense of one’s property.

7 Likes

What do all the gun owners here think about carrying in chirch?

3 Likes

Indeed.

You might shoot a hole in the can of beer before it’s empty :stuck_out_tongue:

We can carry in restaurants and bars (if the establishment allows)… as long as we do not drink any alcoholic beverages…

And, as I get older, what I once drank a weekend takes me a year so there is little problem with not drinking… of course, my family tends to avoid eating out… just not what it once was.

5 Likes

Some states allow you to carry to church, and some churches allow you to carry. It should NOT be a state law… it should be up to each church if they will allow members to carry.

Laws prohibiting carry in churches is a form of tyranny.

8 Likes
CARRY WHILE USING ALCOHOL OR PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION?

Does Indiana have laws regarding carrying a firearm while using alcohol or prescription medication?

Not addressed in state statutes.

So yes we can go in a bar and drink with our guns on us.

3 Likes

Thank you, @Kevin29, you are right! It is tyranny when the govt they tells you not to carry in church! Thank you for agreeing with me.

2 Likes

I’m sorry @Kevin29 my Hubby JUST told me all we must do is ask permision bc he cares his into church.:smile:

4 Likes

Good to know. Some states though have passed legislation to prohibit it.

Now, go ask permission. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Bad guys do not go on breaks or take vacations.

6 Likes

I carry every time I am at church. Many other members carry. Most (if not all) of the pastors carry.

5 Likes

@PossumSlayer1

I’m usually the designated driver but I struggle with definition of “primarily serves alcohol.”
Three years ago on my son’s birthday, we had dinner with family and friends at a sports bar. One of those friends became a cop last year. I’m going to ask him about this next time I see him.

4 Likes

Here in Texas it is no more than .08, so that is about 1 beer.
I quit drinking in '97 so I really don’t care.
But, some of my former LTC students have emailed me weeks after taking the class and getting their licenses, that this has motivated them to not drink at all in public. A good decision.

7 Likes

All’s good unless you drink until you are impaired.

3 Likes