Carry in a Bar?

When we go for longer motorcycle rides in Wisconsin, we sometimes stop at different restaurants or bar & grill-type places. I always carry on the bike, so I don’t drink and try to avoid the pubs bars and prefer to go to open-air restaurants instead. I don’t like being around people who are drinking when I carry.

Here’s more information from Tom Grieve about carrying in a bar:

Check out your state laws with the USCCA Reciprocity Map here.

If it’s legal in your state, do you carry in a bar?

2 Likes

I don’t drink, so I don’t go in “a bar.” In Illinois, if an establishment makes 50 percent or more of its revenue from the sale of alcohol, it is against the law to carry a firearm in there.

2 Likes

I do if I am not drinking. I am not in bars often but I carry everywhere in Kentucky wit very few exceptions.

1 Like

In Michigan you cannot concealed carry anywhere where the primary source of income is alcohol. That being said, this doesn’t apply to open carry with a cpl.

I try to avoid bars myself, I don’t drink and having to deal with drunks at work means i would rather avoid them when I’m off work.

2 Likes

Oh forgot to mention: also does not apply if you have permission to CC in that establishment.

2 Likes

I think it should be like a DL. Carry in bars should be legal, but drinking while carrying should not be, at least more than 1 drink like having a set BAC level as they do for drivers or commercial drivers (which is stricter then normal drivers).

2 Likes

I carry everywhere I legally can period. If I’m in a bar/restaurant that carry is legal in I’m carrying. As per state law I will not have more than one alcoholic beverage though if I drink at all.

On the list of things I find to be important drinking is way down towards the bottom so if I have to make a choice between the two I’ll carry and not drink.

Unfortunately places that serve alcohol are at least as likely to be targeted by criminals as those that don’t.

1 Like

Agreed. I am unaware of any state in which you can be legally intoxicated while in lawful possession of a firearm.

2 Likes

Unless your a dancing FBI agent? Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

6 Likes

I did say “lawfully”.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/dancing-fbi-agent-who-shot-man-at-denver-bar-after-doing-backflip-pleads-guilty-will-avoid-jail-time

I believe he also was fired and lost his certification.

5 Likes

I know. I just used that example, since it shows that, no matter who we are, booze and guns are not good together.

2 Likes

You just made me go look by bringing it up so I figured I’d share what I found.

2 Likes

MN was .04 - same as a commercial drivers license.

But now that I am back in WI it is not a drop; which is why I have my wife as my designated carrier and driver :slight_smile:

On the motorcycle I am 100% sober until the bike is parked and if we stop someplace it is more likely to be a DQ or Culvers for ice cream than a bar for those of us that ride Goldwings.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing! I hadn’t seen that article!

:woman_facepalming: What was he thinking??

1 Like

i’m a non drinker but do occasionally got to a bar either to hear my friends band play and/ or to be the DD for the night. I always carry when i go out and in Delaware it is legal to carry in a bar.

3 Likes