Does your spouse or significant understand?

Same here Gary, wife is supportive and we finally found her a firearm after going through several Glocks, she decided on one but doesn’t feel comfortable carrying it. I even enrolled her in USCCA with me. So she keeps it next to her bed.

2 Likes

I grew up in a home without guns. My dad occasionally hunted, but his rifle and shotgun stayed at grandpa’s house. My parents’ idea that guns don’t belong in the house led to me being very uncomfortable around guns through my early 30s. When I met my husband, he carried everywhere even when not on duty. It took a lot of patience and understanding on his part to help me see the benefits of owning a gun and carrying one. Lots of questions, holding the unloaded pistol, and learning to disassemble and reassemble the pistol until I would even entertain the idea of learning to shoot. I identify with your wife in saying she wants to learn in public yet being hesitant when it’s the two of you. That first visit to the range was very intimidating for me because I worried I wouldn’t shoot well. I didn’t want to shoot poorly in front of him. If somebody else taught me, it may have been easier because it wouldn’t have mattered as much to me how well I shot. Now, I’m the one always asking to go to the range and have at least one pistol on me at all times unless I’m in an area where it’s illegal to carry.

I agree with the suggestion to have a female instructor work with your wife. If she has any girl friends who know how to shoot or want to learn, perhaps they could have a girls night getting a lesson at the range. Maybe ask her how she would like to learn to shoot (e.g. where, when, what type of instructor, etc). Several people have told me that significant others aren’t necessarily the best instructors regardless of their experience level and training. Let her know it’s okay if you don’t go with her on that first visit. There will be plenty of opportunities to shoot together later. I believe your patience and encouragement will help your wife become comfortable with learning to shoot.

10 Likes

GF is now wanting to get her CHL, so since it is about time for me to renew in the next year, working on a class we can both take… Did not take her long to go from “why do you have a gun” to “do you have your gun” to “I want to learn”. Love it! I want her to be able to protect herself and even me!

My only problem is the gun she likes the best is my semi custom full sized 1911…

What can I say, she has good taste. :smile:

She does still mess with me a little, we go walking a lot, and I will not go to the gun free park to walk. :smile:

2 Likes

I was in a store and a man followed me out and in the parking lot he called out “Mr. (my last name)”

I turned and looked at him. I drew a blank. He smiled and said “You don’t remember me do you? I was your trustee at booking front in the L.A. County Jail in 1975.” This occurred in 2019. So your right
They remember us. When I think of the two thousand or so people I arrested over my career and how much violence was involved at times this is a sobering thought. I carry always. And I qualify for HR 218 annualy. My wife never questioned me carrying into retirement.

4 Likes

@Shaunna Welcome to the community. Thank you for posting, a great post and a unique perspective. We are glad your here. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you … And yes i am super patient and supportive. Ive even taught her kids to shoot at a range etc. For the first time. Every guy hopes i think or wishes that they could be the teacher…a pride thing lol… But yes im just gonna give her time keep answering her questions and just support her the way she needs to be supported weather i teaxh her or someone else i just want her to be comfortable.

5 Likes

From everything you’ve shared, it sounds like you’re doing an excellent job! Keep it up:)

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome!

3 Likes

My wife recently got a M&P 380 EZ and started taking classes. She also joined “The Well Armed Woman” after going to one of their meetings. She is gaining confidence through her training and interactions with qualified and knowledgeable folks. Now, not only do I have her “6”, I know she has mine as well whenever we are out together. :+1:

5 Likes

@Zavier_D – sorry for my ignorance, what happened 12/19/18?

2 Likes
3 Likes

My wife and I were both in the service. She outranked me then and, if we’re honest, she still does… She more than understands, she’s right there every step of the way. What I learned about other issues is, don’t push. We usually come around to each other on most issues if given the space to get there on our own.

5 Likes

I think we all are outranked by our significant others.

4 Likes

Thanks for pointing me to this thread, @Zavier_D. It is heart wrenching, and has important lessons for us all. Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Ask her why she needs another pair of black shoes…

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your awesome story, @Shaunna! I’m so glad to hear that you’re carrying now!

4 Likes

My wife supports me and appreciates me taking initiative to protect her and our family. She does not carry and does not shoot much. I have taken her to the range to show her how Firearms work should she need to use one.

She feels safer knowing I am carrying and she is able to live more confidently as a result.

4 Likes

My wife clearly understands…in fact the other night we went to wally world store, and she clearly stated “not going in there without my sig.” Went to the corner of happy and healthy…same response. If I were to order some more ammo, as we have plenty, she always states cant have too much. Our UPS dude, good friend also, he says hmmm more ammo as he packs the heavy boxes in. One of our friends that is disabled, that we give all of our aluminum scrap to, is making a run to sell a bunch of scrap. I went out to our range to see if there was any more brass, and picked up a couple gallon buckets of. We have quit a few 5 gallon buckets…follow me here…the mrs says, you remember husband that is my brass and I get the $$$ from the sale…remember husband, it was my idea to pick up the brass…keep following me here…I asked what are you going to do with the $$$$? Reply was nunya. I understand.

3 Likes

No such luck. My wife has no interest in clothing, shoes, jewelry, or handbags, etc, etc. My daughter and I have to force her to by new wearables when they’re needed.

I could ask her why she needs another puppy, but, c’mon, it’s a puppy!

4 Likes

My wife just bought a m&p shield 380 for her to carry once she gets use to it.I carry a Luger 9E and I make my own holsters because I am left handed. I also have one of the tee shirts with the holsters under the arm.

4 Likes