Does American made matters

I bought a second S&M shield in November and took it to a US Marine Range. After the first magazine, the slide couldn’t be locked despite efforts by professional gunsmiths. The slide felt flimsy and cheap. I shipped it back to S&W and 10 weeks later still no gun. I believe in supporting American made and will go out of my way but when I have this type of problems with 2 shields and another S&W and can’t depend on them, o have to reconsider my buying practices. I found out some Shields have problems with the slide lock but I wasn’t notified of the problem despite registering them . I would warn others to review history of the guns before buying

2 Likes

Your topic heading caught my attention. Being a search engine junkie I found this when I searched for M & P Shield slide…Shields have problems with the slide lock. “Just purchased brand new M&P Shield 9mm. Had one previously, but made mistake of selling it… (another story, but my wife is happy).
Got home and immediately field stripped (no problem), inspected, cleaned thoroughly with Ballistol, and then " tried " to reassemble.
Inserted guide rod/spring fine and ensured it was all the way down and even. Placed the slide on the frame, but could not get the slide back far enough for the slide lock to engage. Removed the slide and rechecked the guide rod/spring for proper fit, alignment, etc. Still could not get the slide back far enough to manually engage the slide lock.
Was looking at gun trying to figure out what could be wrong and just flicked the safety lever on then off again for grins. (Safety was off during field stripping.) I then slid the slide back and it went back far enough and I could engage the slide lock.
Anyone else have that problem? What could be preventing the slide from going back all the way? The only thing I can think of is the spring on the guide rod hanging up and not fully compressing for some reason and the cycling of the safety lever on/off was just a coincidence???” Good luck!

Thanks for the information. I can’t try the fix on my shield because it is still at S&W after almost 3 months now. One of my complaints is why do we invest our money supporting American made items and we get repaid this way. Their site shows manufacturing defects with the Shields and others have complained on other sites. Since I see advertising and publications are unwilling to raise the flag warning consumers, I decided to do it. I’ve never had problems with my other guns, which include Kimber, Rugers, H&K, Taurus. Had a problem with a Canik which was resolved quickly and certainly didn’t take 3 months. We work hard for our money and have the right to demand a fair price for good products

2 Likes

I hear you Luis. I try to buy American as often as I can. Sometimes what I need is not available in “Made in the USA”, or I cannot afford certain U.S. products. Hopefully they can remedy the issue sooner for you. If it happened with a non U.S. model, it could take them just as long to repair it for you. There could be other U.S. made competitive options. I have three different models, all US made, but ordered a Beretta from Italy. Some firearms now have both U.S. and non U.S. models. I would not fault you, as I’m still proud to be part of your community. Best to you.

1 Like

I had an issue with a Kimber last April and sent it back to be fixed. Took 4 months. At that time Kimber was very short staffed due to COVID. Might not be anything bad, just backlogged.

1 Like

I think we should support American made, and when we can’t, do the best we can to make sure the countries we do buy from are as friendly to the US as possible. That said, I would give S&W the benefit of the doubt right now. I understand it sucks to have laid your money out for a new gun and first it not be right, then second to have to said months for it to be fixed and delivered. But companies are under extreme stress right now from the covid lockdowns of varying severity depending on state. Couple that with the massive demand currently on the firearm industry, things are taking time. About all you can do is call or email customer service and inquire if you have the RA number.

3 Likes

I hope to awaken the manufacturers by showing where they are failing but sadly our economy has been overtaken by too many greedy speculators a instead of true honest capitalists. Some people erroneously think capitalism is the principle of making as much as possible without regard to practices or quality. We see phones selling for $1200 when it cost the company $150 each at the warehouse. That’s unqualified greed. Capitalism is to develop an idea and make products consumers want and need at a fair price. We have been brainwashed to accept anything goes. We see in the greedy markup of ammunition which is sold and 200% markup by distributors and not the ones who are working the line, the manufacturers. They’ll laugh to the bank while we bow our head and take the abuse . We have the power to remedy the problem by holding those greedy jerks accountable. Once we led the word in quality and pricing, now we are slaves to Chinese products or bad quality made in America.

Due to BATFE regulations, most handguns sold in the USA are made in the USA, even the “foreign” ones, such as Beretta. Even some Sigs and Glocks are now made in the USA.

1 Like

I truly belive that if, you shop for anything, you should shop for quality and well built items that includes firearms, my choice was a American made 1911 , I have put many rounds though it and it’s totally still like new nice and tight and lock open each and every time , so you see buy American is up to you to decide what you want or can handle in a firearms, just remember stay alert and don’t get hurt.

3 Likes

Thanks Daniel. I was not fully aware about their time line. I had ordered a firearm from them March 2020: Still waiting delivery. No wonder. At least it’s good to know comparisons.

I prefer 1912 style handguns for the added safety. I have 5 of them, priced over $1200 each and 3 S&W but two had problems out of the box. I still have a 40 year old 1911 Taurus which I use for competition and she still works it’s magic a 357 Dan Wesson 32 years old and lucky to have an original WWII Mauser sniper rifle 8mm which I fire occasionally. Amazing how the old guns works so well but newer have problems. You are right, we get what we pay for and if they anti second amendment enemies don’t come for our guns, I’ll stick to high end American made like Rock Island, Kimber or Colt . Like I said, I believe in American know how and wish we were more patriotic and buy American and not foreign made even if it costs a bit more. Senile Joe is already preparing rules making AR type rifles illegal and restrict magazines to less than 10 rounds plus several other second amendment threatening rules

Yes and no to me. For the most part, especially when it comes to firearms, I try to buy as much made in America as I can. That being said, I am a Glock fan, mostly variants though from American manufacturers like Shadow Systems and Zev. My AR’s are obviously put together by parts in the USA. What I cannot do it put parts on my firearms that are made in China. I get this dirty feeling anytime I even try and contemplate buying a Chinese made part on one of my firearms, even if I know the entire design process was done here in the USA. This really sucks too because I think companies like Primary Arms and Holosun make some amazing products, I just can’t pull the trigger on buying anything they make because of where they are made. I know they are an American company, I just can’t do it.

I try to buy as much made in USA daily goods as well. I like to check labels to see where items were made and buy accordingly. This is difficult though since so much in made outside the USA. What is made here quite frequently though is self-care and home cleaning supplies. So I buy everything I can that is made here.

Now do I think that parts made in other countries or firearms made in other countries are subpar? Of course not!! There are many manufacturers outside of the USA that make fantastic firearms and goods that you or I can purchase. I just like to spend as much of my money on companies that still employ American workers and produce their products here on my home turf.

1 Like

Thank you and bless you for thinking of American workers and the USA first. I repeat the message on my regular TV and Radio interviews and most comments support the idea but are frustrated by the lack of choices of made in America. As consumers we have the power to change the greed mentality We need to push American industry to be happy with 50% profit and not demand 2000% . Unfortunately, we have been gaslighted too long we accept whatever comes.

Sig Sauer is headquartered in the United States in New Hampshire. Production facilities have been located there since the early 90s, and Sig recently closed their German manufacturing facility.

1 Like

What I had read was most were still made abroad. Thanks for the update to bad data.

1 Like

As much as I love America, I have to state I’ll always go for the quality.
Still, it’s totally amazing to me that Colt was bought by CZ ! I’m sure they’ll
manufacture many firearms here in the states, though I don’t know that.
I’ve always wanted a CZ. I’ve gone American pretty much, but I guess I
could think about it kinda like art, which firearms, IMHO, are to a huge
degree; there are many, many skilled, intelligent individuals in this world,
and thankfully, we have many of them, but the AK is just one example
of skill and ingenuity the world over, and no, I don’t even own an AK.
Just my take on this, all viewpoints are respected.

1 Like

I agree with buying American when I can. It can be frustrating finding some common items made in the US. If we want more stuff made here, we will pay more for it. US wages are a lot higher than the slave wages in other countries. Of course, a by product of that would be more decent paying jobs in the US, which I believe would be a good thing.

How much R&D went into that $150 phone? Capitalism works based on supply and demand. If we will pay $1200 for a phone, they will supply it. Capitalism is not perfect. Some people seem to have WAY too much money, some companies make staggering profits.

An alternative to high prices is rationing, which is not desirable either! Of course, if we get more US production, competition will kick in, where other US companies are selling the same or similar product, which should bring down the overall prices.

Easy solution to the $1200 phone… Wait a couple of years and buy that phone used on Ebay for $200. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Overall, I do agree with you, we need more American made products.

“But let me offer you my definition of social justice: I keep what I earn and you keep what you earn. Do you disagree? Well then tell me how much of what I earn belongs to you - and why?”

― Walter E. Williams

1 Like

Great point abut the phones, and, buying American in general can be a little difficult. Amazon is right there for most people, as is Walmart, and they do usually make it so easy.
We can just do the best we can do for now, and hope our country regains our “can do” attitude that made this country.

2 Likes

I would truly like to buy American only but it’s not even possible. After owning a variety of cars, mostly “foreign” I bought a Chevy. I learned that in-terms of production a Chevy is no more made in the USA than a Honda is made in the USA. One of Chevy’s cars comes from Austrailia, one from Europs, and several parts come out of Mexico. So much for that. I will say that I bought home gym equipment from Rogue last year and it’s 100% American Steel, I was happy about that.

Part of the issue is there’s no incentive to create microchip corporations, etc., etc., here in the US. Our government must commit to helping the American Made concept come to fruition but as long as the progressive wing of the Democrats exist, that will never happen. Maybe even some Rino’s in there. Our country needs to 100% commit to the concept of American Made.

1 Like

I typically try to “buy American” for general purposes. When it comes to firearms, Ruger, S&W & Henry are my “go to” brands, however I own Glock, Walther, Canik, Taurus, H&R & Desert Eagle & am very happy with them.

1 Like