Doctor Questions about Gun Ownership

You are partly correct. Only the “Responsible Parties” must give their personal information to the ATF during the application process to by a silencer or class 3 device. In my case, that would mean my wife and I would have to provide that information during the application process. However, the device purchased is then owned by the trust. Ownership can then be shared by later additions to the trustee body of the trust or by the trust beneficiaries after the orginal settlors of the trust have deceased. For a thorough and detailed desription of the process, see my attorney’s FAQ on the subject. Meanwhile, you should know that not all NFA trusts are created equal. Make sure you get a competent attorney who knows how to best protect your rights. (By the way, the FAQ gives an interesting scenario of what could happen if a silencer is registed in the husband’s name and he leaves it at home where his wife has access to it. That immediately puts her in danger of a felony. So you shouldread the article to make sure your family is properly protected. And by the way, the registration of silencers is just stupid in my opinion. It should just be looked at as hearing protection.

2 Likes