When Doctors Ask About Guns | Pacifiers & Peacemakers | USCCA

I know I’m not the only one who dislikes, postpones or even attempts to avoid doctors’ visits. There are just not many places where one can feel so vulnerable and so violated … and where so many ultra-personal medical and non-medical questions may be thrown at you as if you were participating in some uncomfortably inquisitive dating game.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/when-doctors-ask-about-guns/
3 Likes

“Doctors receive absolutely no training about firearms safety, mechanics or tactics in medical school or residency. They are completely unqualified by their training to advise anyone about guns.”

Agree completely on the statement above. If anything I can counsel my doctor on firearms. The same can be said regarding gun-grabbers talking about gun safety when they’re completely unqualified to discuss that topic as their view of safety is not to have a gun. I’m actually looking for new family practitioner right now, and what’s been delaying me is whether my new doctor might ask me if I have guns at home. I’m not sure how I’ll respond to that yet, but something along the lines of “none of your business” or “not applicable” may be it.

2 Likes

Last Friday I broke down to finally consider finding a doctor due to chest pain, blood pressure, ext. & I thought to myself…There has to be away to find a pro-2A doctor.[Funny that they wrote about this] I came across, Tim Wheeler’s [MD] with Doctors for Responsible Gun Ownership. [I’m going to end up going before my insurance kicks in and for all who have not gone in the past 10+ years like me, should consider.]

This organization will help you find a doctor.

1 Like

Unless it’s a gunshot wound, guns would have nothing to do with any medical issues I’m capable of having…

2 Likes

Amen! && That’s what this article pretty much says!
But I just don’t want something dumb being wrote down on me! Not sure how all that works, but just incase!

I merged these two threads, @Randall318 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sorry! I didn’t see this thread or would have not made one!
Thank you Ms. @Dawn!!!

1 Like

What would happen if you just say no? They’re not government officials and lying to someone who has no business in knowing this information is hardly a punishable offense. Or is it?

1 Like

Come on, it is just Pediatrician doing a study on kids’ safety at home.

1 Like

I haven’t been to a doctor in years, mostly because I want to stay healthy. But if asked about firearms, I would simply ask to see a picture of his wife. If it’s a female doctor, same question. That should conclude that visit.

3 Likes

You are very polite. I’d ask why the doctor wants to rob my house.

1 Like

Luckily, my doctor is a gearhead/gun guy. He asks me, only because it’s mandatory, then without any words we both just smile, and talk about cars and guns.

1 Like

I understand he wants to continue to work, to make a buck. The gestapo makes him ask people these questions, and then he is afraid if he disobeys the rules, one of the patients will report him to the gestapo.

Well meaning doctors need to google up this guy, Ghandi, who had this idea about “civil disobedience”.

2 Likes

Now that’s the perfect Rx!!

Sounds like you are blessed @45IPAC!!!

1 Like

I’d never answer such a question, and I’d find another doctor. However, here in Idaho, I’ve found nothing but pro-gun medical professionals. I open carry. Last time I was in the doctor’s office, I ended up in a friendly discussion with the doctor over .45 vs. .357. His opinion, .45. Two weeks ago, I was laid back in the dentist chair, and the young hygienist who had moved here from Boston, couldn’t stop talking about my firearm. She was personally suffering thru the dilemna of trying to figure out what carry gun she was going to purchase for herself. Did I mention I love Idaho!

2 Likes

I told him “nonya”. He said he’d assume ‘yes’.
From now on, my answer will be “No, I sold them all”

3 Likes

Here in Michigan, it’s not mandatory but just seems to find it’s way into certain forms. I just leave it blank. Been doing that for years. My gun ownership or lack of never has come up.

1 Like

It’s a simple yes/no question and the answer is “NO” He then has nothing further to do with the question. and you now have a reason to call your elected officials who are supposed to represent YOU and not their party line and give them a piece of your mind also.

1 Like

I’m a doctor. I may ask someone about guns but I’m not likely to record it their chart because I don’t want them to be a target for theft, anti-2A abuse or other problems. Let’s face it, computerized databases just aren’t very secure these days. If they told me that they were going to shoot themselves or someone else then I would have to record it. But if they twisted their ankle hunting, then I record they were hiking.

2 Likes

I have visited several doctors offices in the last few years and have always been ccw while doing so. If a physical exam was needed, I would advise that I am a retired LEO and carrying.
Most responses were, “Nice piece, or thanks for your service.” I have never been asked about firearms in my home, and if I were asked, would respond that their question is none of their business. Most all medical facilities have a No Firearms or weapons sign posted on their entrance door. I do not comply with that request because it is not a lawful or punishment type request, If I were ever challenged, I would simply take my business elsewhere.

John Morehead
Las Vegas, NV

Las Vegas, NV

1 Like