Doctor Questions about Gun Ownership

I am a firearms instructor and was just recently certified as a USCCA Instructor. So you might guess that I own a lot of firearms. But you would be wrong. I actually do not own a single firearm. That’s right – not a single handgun, not a single shotgun, not a single rifle. So now, you’re looking a little puzzled – wondering why I’d be a firearms instructor for the last 20 years and not own a single firearm.

A few years ago, I found a wonderful attorney in Austin, TX whose specialty it is to create NFA trusts. If you ever wanted to purchase a silencer so you don’t go deaf being at the range all the time, then you might want to set up a NFA trust as it greatly reduces the hassle in purchasing one. (In many places in Europe, silencers are required to protect hearing, but here in the U.S., they are treated as some kind of furtive accesssory that lets you kill people in total silence. TV makes it look that way, but I defy you to put a round through a “silenced” firearm that I can’t hear 50 yards away. Politicians and media are idiots on this subject.)

Anyway, I created a NFA trust and transferred every firearm that I owned into that trust. This also means that no executor of my will ever has to deal with the disposition of my firearms. They belong to that trust and I have made some of my children members of that trust. And later they can add their children to the trust, so that these firearms owned by the trust can be used by future generations but will always be owned by the trust.

So if I had been at your doctor, I could honestly have answered that I did NOT own any firearms (because they are owned by a trust). I’m sure the doctor and insurance company would assume that I was one of the sheeple that didn’t want anything to do with firearms even though I have access to more than 30 of them.

It wasn’t expensive to set one up. And the advantages are worth it:

• Be able to transfer the use of firearms to future generations without going through your will or probate court.
  • Make it easier to apply for specialized equipment like silencers or automatic fire devices (which I don’t have)
  • Enable you to give an honest LEGAL answer that you do not own any firearms

Then, you can pick your doctor based on their medical expertise rather than how much they invade your privacy. After all, isn’t a digital rectal exam for prostate problems already enough of an invasion to your privacy?

9 Likes