Do you look your gun into the holster

Like I was taught racing SCCA, “slow in fast out”.

1 Like

Gunsite Academy teaches to muscle memory your firearm to holster (not looking). Thereby not taking you eyes off of the downed threat(s).

USCCA teaches “look” your firearm back to holster. This way it for sure does not get snagged up, plus it helps to break down your tunnel vision.

3 Likes

Oh, I don’t intend to keep my eyes on the threat after he’s down. I don’t do the Ok corral thing. When I think he is no longer a threat I will do my assessment and see if anyone else needs to get shot, if I need to watch anyone else closely, does anyone need medical attention and can I move to a safer location hopefully with cover as soon as I think it’s safe for me to do so. That gun is not going into the holster until I see flashing lights coming and I know I’m good and safe.

4 Likes

And find witnesses.

1 Like

In a concealed carry situation something immediately threatening to body or life will cause you to draw the firearm, and the firearm should always be at some level of ready until factors say it is time to reholster. So if it is safe to reholster, then it is safe enough for your eyes to follow the firearm back into the holster. Doing this keeps the “bungling” factor lower.

2 Likes

That’s not actually true about garments. My undershirt doesn’t have to be moved out of the way to draw, but it is exactly what I have to worry about getting in the trigger guard when I re-holster.

Is your undershirt that baggy?

I move my covering garments out of the way… and with my hand there, it helps hold any other garments from jumping out and pulling the trigger.

It depends on several factors… and we should not lock ourselves into one specific pattern… I look or do not look, depending on holster, firearm, clothing, and situation around me.

It depends on several factors… and we should not lock ourselves into one specific pattern… I look or do not look, depending on holster, firearm, clothing, and situation around me.

This is as bad… as should you carry with a rd chambered or without a rd chambered…

Either works… depending.

I love the concept of looking your gun into the holster, but find it is mostly impractical with concealed carry holsters. The mere act of pulling your garments out of the way to draw places them between your eyes and the holster mouth, and that’s where they will be on a re-holster as well. Having a little (or big) roll of fat also places something between your eyes and the holster mouth. Carrying behind the hip makes it difficult for many people to look into the holster mouth. Etc.

I place my support hand on my undershirt and press it against my body to keep it away from the holster when holstering. I also have a preference for manual safeties as a backup precaution against something getting into the trigger guard. And I do glance at my holster while holstering, but to claim I really look my gun into it would not be an accurate statement.

I’m also torn on the maintenance of situational awareness when you are distracted trying to get the gun back into the holster. Sure you don’t want to holster while there is a threat, but even after you’ve decided it is safe a new threat could emerge. Staring at your crotch, or twisted around trying to see that holster mouth at 4:30, is not where you want to be.

1 Like

Man. This thread creates anxiety in me. Good info but I was already careful before. :rofl:

I could be wrong, but when holstering, the main reasons for a discharge is #1 something is in the holster, #2 finger on the trigger, #3 (and this is the main one I’ve seen online) crappy holsters that don’t hold their shape.

3 Likes

Undershirt and cover garment is two different things unless your undershirt is your cover garment and if there is nothing in covering your concealed carry it would then be open carry

Most of the time my holster is inside my pocket. I could re-holster back into my pocket but I don’t find that entirely safe. So, I have to pull the holster out of my pocket, then re-holster, then put gun and holster back in the pocket. I guess that smooth re-holstering has never been much of a priority. If I were ever involved in an incident I would not put the gun back in my pocket anyway, so why worry?

2 Likes

Yup. The problem is that while you are likely holding the cover garment out of the way (and thus blocking your view of the holster mouth, your undergarment could get caught in the trigger guard.