Do you look your gun into the holster

I have seen some instructors say you should look your gun into the holster when re holstering -- it only takes a second and could prevent a accident…

I have also heard some say not to look your gun in to the holster
-- things and situations change in the blink of a eye and could cause you to miss something important

Do you or dont you look your gun into the holsters

1 Like

Yes, I look my gun into my holster.

If I am ever in a self-defense situation, my firearm isn’t getting reholstered unless I am 100% sure that there is no longer a threat. As the police are arriving, I will look my gun back into my holster before they are even stopped at the scene and my hands will be up as I await their instructions.

14 Likes

Well… I guess I’m not going to argue with the USCCA. :wink:

3 Likes

I always look my gun into my holster because, so far, I’m always training with my CCW and IWB at 3:30. I find it difficult just to go by feel.

Even when switching between pistol and rifle in training, I at least have to look to make sure the barrel is aligned, then I look back up to re-acquire the target while my right hand finishes holstering. At this same time, my left hand is bringing my rifle up.

1 Like

No i do not look it in i carry aiwb and have practiced a long time re holstering with out i use my sweat guard as a guide

I do not look my gun back into the holster. Nothing is certain in life. So long as you train on reholstering it shouldn’t be an issue and if it is an issue then we should adjust our set up till it is not an issue.

3 Likes

I would if I were an owl.

This would seem like one of those things you should be able to do without looking.

1 Like

I practice both, it depends on the situation!

5 Likes

Are we really saying “Look” or are we really speaking of “Lock” as in a snap or other retention device?
I always learned to re-holster by “brail”… feel, not “look”. “Locking” on the other hand, ie: securing a snap is a different matter.

Looking you gun in the holster is when you look down and watch your gun and holster wile re holstering so you dont miss your holster or as to make sure you dont have clothing that might catch the trigger

4 Likes

Great question! I look my holster every single time.

1 Like

Yes, I look my firearm into the holster.

And if you move your clothing to have a clear draw, you move your clothing to re-holster and clothing will not get into the trigger.

It depends on the holster and situation. I glance, make sure I am lined up… and return my vision to my surroundings. I also use more ‘feel’ than look at times.

4 Likes

It depends on the holster and situation. I glance, make sure I am lined up… and return my vision to my surroundings. I also use more ‘feel’ than look at times.

If we move our clothing out of the way to draw, we move our clothing out of the way to re-holster.

Not to disagree with @USCCA, but it depends on the situation and the holster.

In 35 plus years, have never had an issue re-holstering… except the thumb break if that type holster is used… trying to re-snap it.

1 Like

I can’t look my gun into the holster, it’s on my 6 O’clock

1 Like

Always

Exactly, what everyone should do.

I agree as stated I have trained to not have to look it in

1 Like

When carrying with a manual safety I don’t watch it otherwise yes I do.

I use a combination of look and feel, and never let go of my firearm until I hear and feel the snap.

1 Like