When holstering your handgun do you look/glance at the holster?

When holstering your handgun do you look/glance at the holster? This is a simple question.

2 Likes

I am removing my response now that the question has been changed after the fact

3 Likes

If you train enough, you should not have to look while re holstering, while staying aware of your surroundings.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s possible to train enough to be able to tell if something from your clothing or the environment got in the way. Or maybe your belt or clothing or holster shifted while you were in a literal fight for your life and you didn’t notice. Sometimes people literally get shot and they don’t notice, I imagine something could happen to your clothes, or holster, or belt, and you might not notice. Better to look and be sure (or at least look and be more likely to see it)

9 Likes

Is this a trick question? Normally, when holstering my firearm, I glance! Actually, thinking about it, I don’t usually look. However after a gunfight, adrenaline pumping, disoriented from sounds etc, etc. Yes, I am going to look after “I’ve” secured the area and safetied my weapon.
However there are thousands of variables to your question, for instance, was this an OK Corral gunfight or a home invasion at 3:00am in my underwear? In which case my holster may not be attached to my body as normal.

4 Likes

Yes always look when I holster- Second did we fire rounds? If so I am inserting a new magazine before I holster my firearm- Strange question

5 Likes

With all due respect, how many gunfights does it take to be sufficiently trained?
I’ve had to use my weapon once in my lifetime, I’d been militarily trained, did I look, yes, I had to lift up the flap and reholster with lanyard still around my neck.

7 Likes

Do you?

4 Likes

Probably. Mostly just a part of mentally calming and slowing down to confirm that as little as possible is overlooked during unusual stress.

Do I consider it necessary? No, not really. Not unless the tactile, auditory, and proprioceptive cues I use to holster safely under normal circumstances tell me something is amiss — but that’s why I might add visual verification under abnormal circumstances

Should you look when holstering your gun?.

Dave Spaulding, Handgun Combatives

I understand that the instructor and vicarious liability people might feel they have to insist upon it, but I have been doing deadly serious and deadly hazardous things without visual confirmation most of my life. I would bet that most of us do in some realm of our experience. Even within the narrow confines of firearms use, what will you do in the dark, or with a face full of chemical irritant, or choking on smoke — obviously you cannot safely holster or clear a gun without visual confirmation — so you’ll just stumble around with it, right? Maybe…if you have never learned that you can.

3 Likes

Have a higher chance of things going sideways

2 Likes

Why wouldn’t you be able to holster your gun without looking? Is this something you have not been training to do? Is there not peripheral vision and do you know how to use it? Situational awareness is using your peripheral vision, you do not know from where they are going to be coming from. Ambushing you is their strength and if you make eye contact with them it may detour their plans of attack.

4 Likes

Yes, I do.

5 Likes

I read into the posted scenario and in this case you can probably look the gun back into your holster.

2 Likes

Couple things as one of the post stated where in the hell am I?? In my house camping trip, grocery store, movies etc… It all depends on the environment. If i was in my house i can not holster my shotgun or my Tavor x95. If I was in a gun fight I would 100% run away or if I had to stop a threat - I would be all jacked up on Adrenaline and be out my dam mind tying to get my Sh%&$$ together- meaning did I hurt any innocent people? I am hurt? Sh$$% i need check my firearm to make sure it is secure-- oh f5$-$ where is my USCCA card?? The litte things

2 Likes

Red herring? Assuming the threat from the bad guy is truly gone, Leo will be on the way. Mag out. Slide locked. Firearm on the ground. When you 911 give them your description, that your legally carried firearm is visible and safe, and that you are the good guy.

6 Likes

The best dam answer!! This is to be remembered!! Hell yes!!

3 Likes

:+1:

Simple question, simple answer :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I am removing my response now that the question has been changed after the fact

1 Like

@Mike270 . That was bad move, changing your original post.
Right now you have created more confusion.
The situation supposed to be clear. No more threat, no more danger.
Instead of simple answers already posted you made future readers thinking wrong way.

5 Likes

Good catch.

I removed my previous answers as they don’t fit the question any more

2 Likes