Holster Training

I see vast resources for training all kinds of use of firearms. Does anyone know of any videos depicting putting on your holster? I mean it’s an awkward process and difficult to describe in words. I would love to see how more experienced people do it, tips and tricks for getting the right position every time, the best way to get those clips to spread over the belt as you put it on, etc… I’ve been carrying every day now for a little over a year and every day I dread getting my holster (no matter which brand it is) into position.

3 Likes

If you’re not carrying the same gun in the same holster every day, it can be difficult to develop the muscle memory to know where to position the holster.

How many different holsters and guns are you cycling through?

2 Likes

I have these https://tulster.com/h-k-vp9sk-iwb-aiwb-kydex-holster-profile-holster-right-hand/ so it is a 1 second affair on any pants, belt, etc.

If I had to thread it through every time I’d never carry.

1 Like

I carry the same gun every day. In a year, I’m on my 3rd holster brand (a few others, but those only lasted a few days because they just didn’t work for me). I like my newest quite a bit and it may be the one I keep. I am just hoping to find some videos out there with what others find as a good technique. There are so many little things that just make it awkward. How far down to you put the holster first? do you insert and slide into position, or attempt to push it straight down into the right spot? being at 4:00, holsters have to wrap around a bit causing the kydex to catch on denim even though the front and back seem to be in position. I can’t twist around far enough to see the back clip. I could go on. all things that a bit of video could assist with.

1 Like

@Derrick,
I’m not sure if you find the answer your are looking for. Setting up the holster is like finding best shoes…
We can give some advices… but they’ll always be personal preferences.

Try YouTube, and search something like: “how to properly setup your holster”.… or any other phrase which can point to holster setup. If you are lucky you can find videos with your model.

2 Likes

that’s a great idea. I’d take tips on any model. many of the paddle holsters are similar enough to make pretty much any tips useful.

1 Like

Are you using paddle OWB?

1 Like

Well let’s see. From my vantage point in my office I can see two boxes full of CC holsters and there is another one in my bedroom with probably the 6-10 holster I wear most often. There are options from the cheap Uncle Mikes soft IWB holsters to hard leather OWB for full sized 1911s easily available to me. Heck there are two brand new OWB leather holsters on my night stand that I’m breaking in right now.

Holster “position” has never been a deep concern of mine because I practice with all of them enough that it becomes second nature. Position and holster can vary daily depending on mode of dress and gun of the day. I think after a while you just develop an ongoing awareness of where you gun is on your body all the time. Kind’a like that ever elusive “situational awareness” everyone talks about. I just can’t see ever forgetting where my carry gun is on my body. When that spidey sense tingles on the back of my neck, my brain immediately goes to where my gun is and what is going to happen next.

I think more important, and what a lot of folks fail to address, is presentation from whatever holster position they choose AND cover garments.

Before I leave the house I do a few draws from the setup of the day and make sure I imprint in my mind what garments need to be moved and how in order to do a clean gun presentation. Modesty goes out the window and a clear gun and draw is the ONLY priority I need. A few good runs and you should be ready to roll out. If something is in the way of a clean, swift draw address that before you walk out the door. Nothing worse than tugging at some loose T-shirt with your gun hand as you’re trying to get a shot out fast.

1 Like

I’m not talking about forgetting where it is on my body when I refer to postion. I’m talking about the optimal position where the gun is most comfortable as sit and stand, and also best concealment. For example rotating a few degrees for 4:00 to 5:00 exposes the gun through my shirts more, and rotating closer to 3 puts the bulkiest part of the holster up on my hip, also making it much more visible. so there is a place just behind my right hip that is optimal. I’m typically using an IWB paddle, and on occasion a simple leather appendix style holster. Do you put the holster on with the gun in it? do you put the holster in to the front or back and then slide it around, or do you try to drop it right down into the right spot? is there a tip to getting the clips over the belt when wearing a softer fabric pair of shorts? I find when I go to spread the clip open it tugs at the shorts fabric and pulls the clip over my belt so no amount of spreading can help that.

1 Like

The first holsters I tried (Alien Gear) came with instructions for wearing and positioning the holster. Did the manufacturer of your holster provide instructions?

1 Like

I’ve found an alien gear IWB paddle is giving me the lowest profile and most comfort. I have a nice Desantis inside heat that is very comfortable but a bit more bulky so it’s not always appropriate. I’m a bit overweight, so unless I wear a tent for a t-shirt, I need to keep the bulk down or it shows a lot more than I’d like.

1 Like

Lol, yes. There was even a video or two. trouble is what I saw explicitly skipped over the parts I was hoping to see.

1 Like

I would contact the manufacturer. Otherwise, trial and error and practice is going to be your best help.

1 Like

extra thanks for mentioning it though, Google showed me specifically an alien gear video that was not one I had seen and is exactly what I wanted to find! thank you!

2 Likes

Only you can decide what optimal position is based on comfort etc. I carry a 4" commander sized 1911 in a soft fabric AIWB holster all the time under a T-shirt. Many of my friends have tried and they can’t because they are shaped and they sit different than me. One of my best friends carries a Kahr PM40 in his front pants pocket EVERY day of his life. That would drive me nuts!

I’m not a big fan of the 4:00-5:00 position for any holsters and I try to avoid holsters with what I believe is excessive (for me) forward cant because of that. My holsters tend to be more straight vertical drop I usually carry 2:00-3:00, usually closer to 2:00 even when I’m not carrying appendix. The whole holster thing is VERY personal to every shooter that carries CC.

I will say that I normally insert the gun into holster before it goes on anywhere IWB regardless of what is going on. I do spread clips and other mention devices as I insert the holster into my waistband and then check it has locked under my belt. There are some holsters the have straps instead of clips and those I insert first and the run my belt through the straps.

2 Likes

I carry a Kimber 3" compact 1911 for EDC, mostly at 4:30 position in a 1791 IWB holster on the weekend. During the week driving to and from work I carry appendix with that same holster and it’s quite comfortable. As a local truck driver, I can’t carry at work. I wear a uniform button shirt that buttons down the front and since my weapon has a full size 7 round mag, it tended to print at the mag. I learned to always leave the bottom button, unbuttoned on my shirt which eliminated the mag printing and eases the draw also.

I have a Sig P229 in 40, that I carry in an Alien Gear IWB at 4:30 also. It’s a great holster. After I get the 357 sig barrell, I’ll carry it primarily that way. The AG holster holds nice and close to my body. There’s no printing.

When the weather cools I will primarily carry at 3:00 with those same holsters. For me, 3:00 is best in the cooler weather and it cuts tenths is a second on the draw. I’ll generally always have on some kind of the with an open shirt to aid concealment.

That’s what works for me.

1 Like

A lot of great advice here. If your holster is adjustable, I suggest leaving all of the adjustments loose enough that you can force them to move but not so loose that they flop around. Try it in a bunch of positions and then tighten the screws when you find them the one you like.

3 Likes

%100 agree. I use a CYA holster. Works the same way. This is how I carry %95 of the time. The rest of the time I may use hybrid holster or a belly band. The hybrid holsters have some pluses (an cons), but putting them on can be time consuming.

I use a belt loop for reference so I always put my holsters in the same place. A one clip holster, like Brad recommends seriously take 1 second to do it all.

1 Like

That, sir, is what it’s all about. I broke in my crossbreed holster so it has a curve/bend around my hip. It’s a little more tricky finding where the clips go with different clothes. Sometimes it’s in front of belt loop, others is behind. People have drawers full of holsters trying to get it right. Good luck!

2 Likes

I tend to get very settled in my ways. When I started carrying I discovered that having a thumb break was essential for more than a couple of reasons and have carried that forward for 3 decades. My primary carry pistol is a 1911 Officers Model and I carry cocked and locked. I have on occasion discovered the safety to be in the “Off” position following vigorous movement. That doesn’t bother me as the thumb break physically would prevent the hammer from falling but has caused some delay in draw when the safety didn’t “click” into position. I’m also good with that as it means I am paying attention.

I exclusively use the Bianchi 3S IWB holster as it does not require me to lace in the holster with my belt and britches it has two snaps that are very robust and 1/8" of leather around my gun belt. It also has a “cant disk” which allows you to cant the pistol as YOU desire for comfort and carry. I personally cant the pistol so that the grip aligns with my rib cage and it hides nicely there without the printing. It comes in a variety of platforms to and including the plastic pistols for those of us comfortable with leather in a more modern platform or even revolvers.

I have carried not only my 3.5" officers model but a full size CZ-75 (EAA Witness in 45) and Beretta 92F (same holster). The last I carried while overseas when I was required to surrender my “primary weapon (M-4 ish)” at the door of various facilities. I never got tagged for having a pistol but I’m sure that they would have been exceedingly upset to find out I had it.

Holsters are personal, there is a reason most of us have a box of them.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes