Getting your weapon back into a IWB holster

Here we go, have a IWB holster fits well and holds the XDm well. When I draw, as
in practice draw - my weapon clears my shirt and all well. When I go to put it back
in, I find it almost impossible to return my weapon to my holster. Are there pieces
on or in the holster that need tweeking. New to IWB holsters, that is why I am asking.

Mike_T. Keep your head on a swivel, be safe, and carry.

1 Like

Perhaps retention is set too tight?
Kydex or leather?
Brand, model, photo??

3 Likes

@Mike_T,
My guess is you mentioned “tweaking”, not “tweeking” :crazy_face: Or I’m missing something…

Like @Glock27ccw asked - give us more details, what exactly bothers you.

5 Likes

Glock 27 is asking the right questions. I have 4 different IWB holsters (2 kydex, 2 hybrid) and holstering is not an issue. You just have to make sure your shirts clear. Gun goes back in the same way it came out. I have seen some IWB leather holsters that collapse with draw. I’m not the best to answer your question. Just sharing my experience.

3 Likes

What position are you carrying? Appendix, 4 o clock, six o clock?

2 Likes

May sound silly but are you over tightening your belt. I think you have a high bred IWB holster, kydex and leather backer. Or try lowering the clips on the holster just so the flared lip of the kydex is obove top edge of your pants.
Craig

6 Likes

What kind of holster, what position, how deep does it ride?

3 Likes

Are you looking down towards the holster when you are re-holstering? What position are you carrying in? Just practice looking when you are putting the gun back in the holster. The easiest way to re-holster when not looking is appendix carry. If you can do that you are blessed, I know I can’t. LOL

2 Likes

The nice thing about holsters that most overlook is that there is NEVER a need to hurry to get the gun back into it.

I carry IWB at 4:00 with leather and in general there is more room on the “slide side” of a holster that will allow you to lever the muzzle into the holster and push it back into place. The exception would be one of those floppy “Uncle Mike’s” gun sheaths that go flat when you take the gun out. They often require two hands or removal of the holster and then put it back.

Caveat: I carry a 1911 so my holster has a thumb break (which are getting very hard to find) that also makes it easier to index my pistol back into the holster before snapping it shut. The only “Kydex” I have ever used was on a drop leg or cross chest so no help if that is the case.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

Yes. This.

6 Likes

As Craig6 suggest speed is not important on the reholster, take your time and look at your gun as it is returned into the holster. I understand that if you have drawn the weapon emotions maybe running high, but take time compose and reholster. It will do you no good to survive a weapon required sitution only to have you shoot yourself putting the weapon away.

Larry

4 Likes

What I haven’t seen asked yet - do you have trouble holstering the firearm in the first place?

3 Likes

Here are pictures of the Minotaur IWB I am trying to get working. OldGnome, I do not have trouble with my kydek OWB with reholster. I carry at 3 oclock and all has been
good until I started working with this IWB. Is it possible that my belt is collapseing
the kydex holster after the weapon is drawn? I am going to try as Craig6 suggested
and move the clips so the kydex on the holster is above my waist band. Thanks
Craig6 for all your suggestions.

3 Likes

The clips are already high enough, to the previous suggestions.

The kydex shouldn’t compress to the point that it is making reholstering difficult. I do see screws involved in your kydex portion where in my hybrid holsters, they are usually riveted.

You could, however, have your belt too tight that it is making the LEATHER compress and make it difficult to reholster.

4 Likes

I have a similar construction alien gear cloak tuck, and it worked perfect for my Smith SW40v, but when I changed out the kydex part to fit a Glock 27 on the same backer, it pinched the pistol so tight I couldn’t remove it or get it back in. Worked perfectly after I put wider spacers under the kydex. Glock 27 has a smaller frame and allowed the leather backer to bend more around my hip area.

I’m thin physically. The leather backer deforms further than intended as I try to bring it around to 3, rather than its designed or intended 4-5 position. When it deforms on my hip bone, it pinches the pistol frame.

When it is set up right, and worn in the right body location, I really like the AG holster. Very comfy all day.

2 Likes

@Glock27ccw - Thanks for the info, My EDC is a springfield XDm.
I will try moving the the clips so the kydec is above my waist band
and loosen my belt, and move towards the 4 oclock position. We
shall see what happens. Mike

2 Likes

As had been said: it’s comforting… But not always comfortable.

… Or just add it to the box o holsters :joy:

3 Likes

@Glock27ccw I am so OCD that I will go to extremes to make this holster
work. If I have a holster to carry with I will make it work some how some
way. Be safe and carry.

3 Likes

Whenever I try to move an iwb holster of any type to my 3, it starts twisting my pants to the right instead. Ugh. Thinner frames need to wear at 4-5.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Do the clips go under the belt such that the clips are clamping onto the fabric of your pants? If so, it would seem the belt is not supporting the holster during re-holstering, but rather holding the holster down during the draw. If that is the case, you might try a different clip design.

2 Likes