Do you look your gun into the holster

I do. I’ve seen the infamous accidents on YouTube of folk shooting themselves. I think one was a re-holstering issue. So, taking that extra second to look the gun back in just makes sense. I hardly want to point or shoot at another person, let alone shoot myself. Don’t know how I would explain that to my wife 🤷🏾🤦🏾

:v:t5:

2 Likes

When do you reholster? When NO MORE THREAT
What is 1 of 3 reasons of negligent discharge? REHOLSTERING.

If smart person put these above together - he/she will always look down when reholster.

You can train whole life not to look…and one day you wear different garment which gets stuck into trigger guard… bum…

Illinois law punishes reckless discharge of a firearm as follows:
Reckless Discharge of a Firearm (Class 4 Felony): A fine of up to $25,000 and between one and three years of incarceration.
Aggravated Discharge of a Firearm (Class 1 Felony): A fine of up to $25,000 and four to 15 years of incarceration.

It’s only 2 extra seconds…

4 Likes

I look my gun into the holster, especially when using live rounds, though If your holster is always in the same position, placing the gun back in the holster becomes something you can do without looking pretty naturally (I find myself doing this during dry fire.) The main reason to look isn’t to find your holster though, it’s to ensure there is not shirt or cloth that could catch the trigger and lead to an ND.

I just figure you’re more likely to shoot yourself holstering than actually end up using a gun for self defense :sweat_smile:. May as well look. I’ve had my shirt sneak it’s way into that holster :man_shrugging:t2:.

2 Likes

Look at it this way, you are on adrenaline and you are rattled. You are in a high tension situation. Take the time to be safe and look your gun back into the holster. If cops are in the car and can see you and you accidently fire a round they are already, the cops, on edge too, and may react to you accidently firing a round off and make yourself a threat. Even that, someone else might take it as a threat. Then it can go real bad for you, especially if you had just shot yourself and now they are going to shoot at you too. Do what is safe, look it into the holster.

1 Like

Different viewpoints aren’t arguing. We realize that there are many different reasons to possibly do it differently.

We have reasons for training the way we do, but others may train differently. The only time we’ll tell you you’re wrong is when you’re not safe.

Be safe, train often!

2 Likes

If i can move my cover garment out of the way fast enough to draw my gun and in intensive situation I am sure i will be able to move it out of the way to re holster.
And to your comment about re holstering after you know there is no threat because i have seen many times and my self experienced rapid blood loss to where it makes you pass out until you hit the ground and then regain consciousness point it if you take your eyes off of target anything can happen

This. I train to look my gun into the holster because I will NEVER be in a hurry to holster a gun. It’s not going back until I feel that the likelihood of anyone else around me needing to get shot is basically 0%. So I draw fast but carefully re-holster. BTW this does not take away my choice to change my mind if during one incident I feel I need to re-holster by feel. I can always do that but why take the chance of an incident while practicing if it’s way more likely that I won’t ever need to do it that way? Risk vs. Reward ratio…

3 Likes

We draw fast… there is no needs to come back fast. We reholster slowly and safely.
But this is only my opinion. I’ve been taught this way and found it best working for me. Better to avoid than to be sorry later.

I’m sorry, I don’t quite understand what do you mean by that…
Anyway… there is no rush with reholstering. Gunfight can take few seconds. Scanning and looking for another threat can take even a minute. If I spend 60 seconds with my firearm in my hand then 1 or 2 seconds needed to look down at the holster means nothing to me.
If I pass out, I don’t care if my firearm is holstered or not.

Me

9mm Gun Spinning Gun Slinging - YouTube

Vulgar language warning, you can mute the audio. Always handle your firearm safely. ~Moderators

1 Like

:joy: @KillJoy… you DID NOT reholster :rofl:

He looked it in

3 Likes

That looked like there was something in his holster, it didn’t appear to catch on anything as he looked in it.

No matter what you choose to do, train, train, and train some more. Never become complacent.

4 Likes

He looked…either into the shitty holster or his glasses were too dimmed… :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

After a threat assessment, look your gun into the holster. Outside of the USCCA, this is an extremely fundamental part of the NRA CCW course, and just makes sense. The words we are taught to use are ‘slowly and deliberately’ looking your gun back into the holster.
There is no reason not to.
Can you do holster without looking? Sure!
Why take a chance?
Would you be ok with your kid backing a car down the driveway without using the mirrors or looking over his shoulder?

1 Like

Tough to say what he was doing, the video quality is terrible and of course I don’t know the shooter. Can’t tell what kind of gun and holster he’s running. His eyes are covered by shades, I have no idea where he was actually looking, could be the ground next to him or the dude coming at him with guns in hand.

What I do know is that IF you truly LOOK the gun into your holster you actually have to perceive, comprehend and REACT to what is going on. Just looking is of no greater value that the range theatrics of “assessment” I see all the time. I’ve seen many folks fan their heads from side to side at warp speed and see NOTHING. I’ve stood behind students giving them “the finger” and they never saw me. Needless to say a teachable moment :grin:

Looking a gun into the holster means LOOKING for obstructions, making sure that the gun is going in straight and slowly enough that if you encounter any resistance you stop and figure out what is going wrong before you shoot yourself in the butt, or worse. Basically you are LOOKING, so you can ACT and CORRECT any issues before an ND. Obviously he did not, his eyes where in the right place his mind was probably in Bermuda…

Faulty equipment (like floppy holsters), lack of training (like not flipping on the safety of a 1911) and user mistakes (pushing a trigger on a Glock against the edge of a holster) will always rule the day if you are just mindlessly going through motions.

1 Like

I really like and appreciate your posts sir. You always have great insights and experience. Thank you for sharing that with us.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words. We are all here to learn from each other and help out our USCCA family!

1 Like

Hey guys. I’m so sorry about the vulgarity in a video I posted. I have a habit of turning my volume off on my phone so I don’t bother others in the room. I didn’t know it was vulgar. Sorry.

1 Like

It wasn’t vulgar until @moderators said so :laughing:
I didn’t pay attention to the music/voice watching this first time…
Thx @moderators :joy:

2 Likes

It depends honestly. Usually I’ll look for appendix concealed carry, why not? However I train without looking while one is on my battle belt. Situational awareness is more important in that scenario. As far as accidents go, if you train properly and understand your gun (why wouldn’t you?) then you won’t have any.