Disabled

As great as the training videos are there is a glaring hole in them. They have always been for fairly able bodied people to train. I have COPD and while I can still walk around inside my house outside I use a power wheel chair or sometimes when we go shopping or to the doctor I use a regular wheel chair. Could you please try to come up with something for those of us that are up in age (80) for myself and people that are disabled and need wheel chairs. I have been using a sort of fanny pack when I carry in the chair but it is far from an ideal carry solution. How about it USCCA you have any ideas?

8 Likes

@Harvey11 Here are some previous topics on the subject. You Tube has lots of videos on this subject. Welcome back and hope this helps. :slightly_smiling_face:

Any tips or advise for a disabled male - Firearm Training - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)

Does a disability give you special rights? - Legal & Second Amendment - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)

Disabled people here with concealed carry permit - Self-Defense / Concealed Carry - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)

Disabled Defenders - Firearm Training - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)

This one has lots of links.

Ideas to carry on wheelchair - Guns & Gear - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)

Post stroke - Miscellaneous - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)

9 Likes

@Harvey11 I am a functional quad. and I carry while I am in my power wheelchair. using either JM4 magnetic holster, or if I am going to the gym I will use a gun specific fanny pack. whatever you do make sure the gun is on you and not attached to the chair.

6 Likes

The good news is that wheelchairs afford many more concealment options and stable shooting platform (assuming your assailant does not knock you out of the chair). And, people in wheelchairs are often not perceived to be dangerous (there’s good and bad to that).

I suggest finding a trainer in your area who will coach you on drawing and firing from concealment in a chair.

For me, old age come with 2 knee and 1 hip replacement, a stroke and RA that often leaves with painfully swollen joints. Engaging in a running gun battle ain’t in my future and it sounds like you share that, as well.

I’d give selection of a suitable firearm some priority. I favor a simple S&W Model 60 with a ported 3" barrel with an action job that lightens the trigger. Reliable, simple, long enough sight radius to actually hit something, porting makes recoil a non-issue even for my arthritic fingers.

3 Likes

I have a 38 special with a set of laser grips, which works out great for me. because I have trouble lifting my arms for a good sight picture.

6 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

you are welcome, not a problem. if you need any advice, tips PM me and I will offer what I know.

Great idea, Sir. I like it.

1 Like

Just a thank you to all that answered with suggestions and ideas and to those that just looked at my post. I have watched some of the videos already and have more to go. There are some really great ideas there. I am 80 years old and even the thought of having to defend myself or my wife scares the bejeebees out of me. I am used to being able to do anything and the last couple of years have taken a toll not only on my body but my mind as well. Don’t misunderstand I am still sharp as a tack mentally (not like some politicians) but my mind doesn’t react as quick as it used to and I stay in the orange rediness at all times now. My son thinks I am crazy for locking out doors in the daytime now but I won’t want any surprises walking in on us.
I don’t know how many times I have heard the phrase “getting old is not for sissies” or something to that effect and you know what they were telling the truth. by the way it is 5:32 here and I have been up since about 2 and guess where my gun is. Tucked neatly in the wasteband of my pajamas.

4 Likes

There’s nothing crazy at all about locking your doors all the time. It’s smart, easy, and probably the most important single thing you can do to stay safe at home.

2 Likes