Disabled people here with concealed carry permit

Are there any disabled people in a wheel chair besides me?

5 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @Dan6! I know we have a few people who use canes to walk, but I’m not 100% sure about others in wheel chairs.

I’m sure we’ll hear from those who are! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Welcome to the community. You raise a very interesting question. I hope other gun owners with disabilities reply. I too have a major disability but I’m not in a wheelchair. How do gun owners with disabilities overcome their particular impairment?

3 Likes

Dawn, thanks for the reply. I have built a holster system on my power chair that securely holds my weapon in place and it allows for a fast draw when needed. It also keeps m hiden as it should be.

5 Likes

Thanks for this thread. This one is MUCH needed. I have use of my upper body but not lower. I use a wheelchair and basically use two different carry methods. During the cold months I use a shoulder rig. During the warm weeks (I live in Minnesota) I use an ankle holster. (I never wear shorts.) I’m curious what everyone else does. I’ve looked at holsters that can be mounted on the chair, but all the arguments about off-body carry come to fore. My draw time leaves a lot to be desired and I practice but never get any better, probably due to the mechanics - they are a lot different than for able bodied folks.

6 Likes

Hello Dan. I too am disabled but not confined to a wheelchair. I use a Cain to walk and have the use of just one arm so it does present challenges when carrying…I believe my disability does keep me more aware of my surroundings when I’m out.

4 Likes

I am here. I am disabled in a wheelchair.

4 Likes

Hello Dale. Glad to know you are out there. Do you carry?

2 Likes

hi Michael, Yes I do all the time. If I am out and about I conceal carry. If I am at home I have a shoulder holster. I am disabled in a wheelchair.

4 Likes

Robert65, I’m glad that the subject of disabled people concealed carrying is now a topic on the USCCA. I use a wheelchair and have for over 30 years and I’ve had my carry permit for 16 years. I’m actually the one that initially started this subject on USCCA.

3 Likes

Hi Dan, I am also disabled and in a wheelchair. I carry everywhere I go. I wear a shoulder holster most of the time and I have also have a maxpedition shoulder bag when I go into a place that I can’t cover my shoulder holster. I strongly suggest you go to maxpedtion.com and look at the shoulder bags. I carry all my personal stuff and even got room for charging cords for my phone and bluetooth. I am on facebook under the name
Dale Hutch if you want to reach out. Stay safe and have a good day.

5 Likes

Greetings all - I have a disability but not in a wheelchair. I have CMT which is a form of MD. It eats the mylon (a covering on your nerves) off and the nerve quits talking to the muscle, then muscle goes away. I have to train to build muscle to replace what I lose. Long story short is I don’t let conditions get me down, I keep moving forward.

3 Likes

I also am in a wheelchair and use the same as you, shoulder rig in the winter and ankle in the summer. On my shoulder rig, I do not, however, carry right under the arm. I carry it low, so it is roughly level with the lower ribcage. That allows me to draw with two hands. Because of my situation, pretty much immobile legs, weakness in left arm, I have no chance of having a quick draw. I’m actually quicker with the summer ankle rig. (I always wear long pants also.) I use a 1911 in the winter and a .32 cal mouse gun in the summer.

4 Likes

Just FYI, I clicked on the Maxpedition link and it’s no longer a live link. I got some oriental characters, and a notice that the domain is for sale. I THINK this is the bag you’re describing. It’s on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-0412K-Jumbo-Versipack-Khaki/dp/B001MT8RC6/ref=asc_df_B001MT8RC6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312139903133&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9800891418251641506&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019493&hvtargid=pla-339653015918&psc=1

I have a friend in a wheel chair. Some ideas that you may have on carry that apply to him?

I’m a late commer to the forum. I use a power chair as my left side doesn’t work. I carry in either a cross draw or at a strong side 5:30 position, I even use a chest holster when wearing bib overalls or while hunting as a back up gun. As far as getting knocked out of my chair or falling out, I have no problem with doing a fall and crawl if it keeps me safer and allows me to get to my pistol.

3 Likes

@Gimpy Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you here with us. :slightly_smiling_face:
P.S. Crawling is underrated, it helps to keep us alive. :+1:

1 Like

Hello and welcome @Gimpy
What do you hunt and where?

2 Likes

Because of my medical condition I hunt mainly in Wisconsin and also do in country exotic hunts. The last exotic hunts I brought home a 2,000lb Asian water buffalo, the head is hanging on the wall and the meat took me and wife a little over 4.5 years to eat.

2 Likes