Disabled people here with concealed carry permit

Are there any disabled people in a wheel chair besides me?

1 Like

Welcome to the Community, @Dan6! I know we have a few people who use canes to walk, but I’m not 100% sure about others in wheel chairs.

I’m sure we’ll hear from those who are! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to the community. You raise a very interesting question. I hope other gun owners with disabilities reply. I too have a major disability but I’m not in a wheelchair. How do gun owners with disabilities overcome their particular impairment?

2 Likes

Dawn, thanks for the reply. I have built a holster system on my power chair that securely holds my weapon in place and it allows for a fast draw when needed. It also keeps m hiden as it should be.

4 Likes

Thanks for this thread. This one is MUCH needed. I have use of my upper body but not lower. I use a wheelchair and basically use two different carry methods. During the cold months I use a shoulder rig. During the warm weeks (I live in Minnesota) I use an ankle holster. (I never wear shorts.) I’m curious what everyone else does. I’ve looked at holsters that can be mounted on the chair, but all the arguments about off-body carry come to fore. My draw time leaves a lot to be desired and I practice but never get any better, probably due to the mechanics - they are a lot different than for able bodied folks.

2 Likes

Hello Dan. I too am disabled but not confined to a wheelchair. I use a Cain to walk and have the use of just one arm so it does present challenges when carrying…I believe my disability does keep me more aware of my surroundings when I’m out.

3 Likes

I am here. I am disabled in a wheelchair.

1 Like

Hello Dale. Glad to know you are out there. Do you carry?

1 Like

hi Michael, Yes I do all the time. If I am out and about I conceal carry. If I am at home I have a shoulder holster. I am disabled in a wheelchair.

2 Likes

Robert65, I’m glad that the subject of disabled people concealed carrying is now a topic on the USCCA. I use a wheelchair and have for over 30 years and I’ve had my carry permit for 16 years. I’m actually the one that initially started this subject on USCCA.

1 Like