Any tips or advise for a disabled male

I am a 50 yr old combat vet who is a functional quad.
I have been a concealed carrier for going on 8 years. normally when I am in my wheelchair I will carry appendix OWB or in a very discrete leg holster bag (sorry can’t remember the name). I can walk as long as i have someone with me. so thats when I appendix carry.
now my question is does anyone know if training is available for the disabled? if I am out on my own I’ll be in my power chair. on several occasions I have had to literately run someone over with my off-road capable chair. on another occasion I was very close to having to draw my weapon. but, fortunately an sheriffs deputy drove by and threat vanished.
since then my wife and I moved out in the country and got away from the city.

6 Likes

Welcome, and nice job moving out of the city! We hope to one day.

1 Like

Welcome to the Family My Friend. This isn’t much of an answer but here goes.
Yes there is specific training for disabled/wheel chair self defense, I just can’t remember where I saw it. I’ll look around and see if I can find it again.

3 Likes

Welcome, you’ve accomplished stage one in your training by moving out of a city.
Do you have the opportunity to practice on your own land?
I’m fairly sure there are some training programs out there, possibly even your local law enforcement agency!

1 Like

yes i have some friends that have the space for us to shoot.
I checked with our local pd and no they don’t have anything but, they are looking into starting something

3 Likes

I don’t know what state you live in but I do know in my state there’s FLORIDA FIREARMS TRAINING organization which does train people with disabilities. Also if you want one on one training they do that to.
Wish you the best.

2 Likes

I’m N.E. Ohio
thanks I will check an see if anyone offers anything like that here

1 Like

Welcome to the community @leo23 . I have seen special trainings for disabled folks advertised from time to time. The one disadvantage to living in a more rural area is your options will be more limited.

After dealing with some health issues last year I had to find a regular Krav Maga instructor who would work with me one on one. It is a lot more expensive but he has been catering the work outs and training to my abilities which has been very helpful. You might be able to find a regular instructor who can adapt his training to your abilities. Sounds like you already have some solid skills to work with.

2 Likes

@leo23 Here are a couple of things that came up. Welcome to the community. :us:

https://community.usconcealedcarry.com/t/is-there-training-for-disabled-wheelchair-walker-
bound-people/24564

4 Likes

wow thank you so much

3 Likes

Your welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

There is more than you might think out there. Do a search on “defensive firearm training for handicapped persons.” Gunsite is there, among many others.

1 Like

Welcome @leo23. Glad to have to here I’m actually from NE Ohio as well and I have seen some classes around that do that type of training. If you log into you USCCA account and go to your dashboard down at the bottom of your screen if you scroll down you will see a area that will let you type your area code in for classes then you can see where the classes are and you can email them and ask hope this helps a little.

3 Likes

ok thanks as it turns out they are having a ccw class at my church

2 Likes

unfortunately, no I can’t practice on my land anymore. a sub division was built behind my gun range. but, I can go up the road to a friends and shoot all i want when he’s home

2 Likes