Some advise please

I am finding myself using my power chair more and more. I am a functional quad and I can walk around, I don’t have full use of my arms (due to injuries). my left is permanently dislocated but, I am left handed. my right is affected by my brain injury from 18 years ago.
anyways I’m trying to find a way to conceal carry while I’m in my seated position in my chair. I had tried using a fanny pack and a sneaky pete holster (sneakypeteholsters.com) both work but, they have good and bad points, the pete holster is better.should i just go with what i know or keep trying to find an aiwb holster thats comfortable with both when i walk or when I’m in my chair

3 Likes

I think your issue may not be so much the right holster, as learning how to fit and conceal an AIWB holster.
I suggest you go throuhg the PHLster advice on how to adjust and conceal an AIWB, with their discussions and videos.
The Basics of Concealment Mechanics
Their guidance is about AIWB in general, not a sales job for just their products.

5 Likes

@leo23 ,
It’s hard to recommend something without knowing details. Height, weight, body shape, belly shape… these are factors that decide what may or may not work.
AIWB seems to be the best carrying option… but you need to go through dozens reviews and videos.
@Craig_AR posted the best advice - watch the basics and find what will work for you.

I personally love AIWB method… but actually found it the best after I invested over $100 in good holster. That is the first and most important step. Only good quality gives comfort.
You also have to take handgun size under consideration. If you want to sit comfortable with holster, check what is the maximum barrel length that still gives that comfort. Holster with UP/DOWN adjustments helps a lot.
You will also need to think how are you going to draw from concealment. You have mentioned that your other hand may not function properly to clear the garment. Sometimes “cross draw” holster might be a better option. It is easier to manage with one hand only.

2 Likes

6’1",215, muscular and got a little bit of a belly
currently carry a 38 snub nose revolver in a JM4 Tactical magnetic holster

3 Likes

I think with small 38 snub nose revolver you are in great position to carry AIWB regardless of your size. My only concern is the cylinder, which, I guess is giving an extra width… but I’m not a revolver man, so have no idea… Cannot even give any opinion about the holster for it. I like JM4 Tactical… but I have zero knowledge about revolver versions. Does it have any retention other than friction? Without retention the firearm may go up once you sit down.
Anyway… with my zero experience with revolvers, I’d rather stop giving any advices… :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

I’d suggest a pocket pistol if you can. I think Ruger makes a nice, reliable, and concealable 9mm pistol that fits right into your pocket. I have a Taurus G2c that I put in my pocket while I’m driving but I have to kind of adjust the pocket so the gun sits on Top of my thigh as I’m sitting. The Ruger is even smaller and should fit easily. It comes with a pocket holster that protects the trigger. They also sell what’s called a sticky holster that’s not actually sticky but is made of material that doesn’t allow the gun and holster to work it’s way out of the pocket.

1 Like

yes it has very strong magnetic retention. honestly it’s not to bad as far as carry is concerned, except for the width of it.

2 Likes

My absolutely most comfortable carry is a Ruger LCP Max in a front pocket holster. But it takes some practice to draw quickly from a seated position and could be difficult if you can’t lift your hips up a little in your seat.

I am switching to AIWB when carrying larger pistols. It takes some getting used to as well as getting the right holster in the right spot to be comfortable while sitting for extended periods of time. But it is the easiest location to access while sitting or standing and conceals very well.

2 Likes

Pocket carry, whether a snub nose revolver or a small semi-auto, can make for very comfortable carry. However, it is amazingly difficult to draw quickly from your pocket, especially when sitting, and in particular when seat-belted into a vehicle.
For any form of carry, but especially pocket carry, it is essential to practice your draw in dry fire (with an unloaded gun or blue gun!) in all of those positions. For pocket carry you will not need a range timer good to hundredths of a second for your measure, the second hand on an analog watch will be fine, it will be so slow.

3 Likes

that is why I am leaning towards AIWB using a JM4 Tactical magnetic holster and i v
can still draw it if its at about my 2 o’clock position when i am in my chair buckled in. my draw stroke isn’t going to win any high speed awards with either way i do it (arm issues)

I’m not familiar with that holster and am new to AIWB myself. One thing I have found is that a holster with a claw and a wedge conceals noticeably better than one without. Looks like the JM4 wouldn’t be able to add a claw but you might be able to get a foam wedge to stick to it?Finding the right wedge that best balances comfort and concealability requires some trial and error.

A fast draw is good but having the situational awareness to avoid surprises is better. Sounds like you are working to prepare yourself as best you can. Which puts you well ahead of the majority of people out here who might be more physically capable but have put no thought or effort into how to defend themselves.

2 Likes

Pocket draw is noticeably slower when reacting from a surprised position. But if you see suspected trouble coming you can get a shooting grip on the gun without tipping off anyone that you are even armed. From there the draw can be very very fast if needed.

I have practiced arching my hips up while buckled into my car seat and can access my pocket carry fairly quickly. Not lightning fast but not glacially slow either. But I do believe that AIWB and the larger handguns that position allows are a much better choice for those who can figure out how to do it comfortably while sitting.

3 Likes

I just watched the video at JM4 demonstrating the magnetic holsters. I see several potential shortcomings with their magnetic holsters.
First, they are leather, so you are right, claws could not be added to adjust the fit. You need a Kydex holster to add a claw. You could use velcro to attach a wedge.
Second, it appears that you have to remove the holster from your waist to return the gun to the holster. Optimum holster design is that you can re-holster with one hand, not possible with that configuration.
Third, if you choose their original model you cannot get a firing grip on the gun before you draw.
Retention appears to be by the magnet on the slide, not by a mechanical tension on the gun, as found in Kydex holsters. I would be wary of this method, but would need to try it myself to feel like the retention is adequate.
Going back to pocket carry, there are some pocket holsters, like Robert Mika’s, that are designed to stay open when empty so you are able to re-holster with one hand. I have a couple of his for my S&W 642 snubby and really like them when I choose to pocket carry.

1 Like

I have a kydex Alabama pocket holster that stays open. I prefer it to the soft sided holsters. I do a lot of bush wacking and am not 100% certain the soft sided pocket holsters would keep the trigger from depressing if a stick got jammed into it. I generally pull my kydex holster out to reholster for maximum safety but have practiced reholstering into the pocket in case my other hand ends up preoccupied or unusable.

3 Likes

while I agree with you about 1 handed re-holstering. I am able to do it with my revolver. but, i get a deeper holstering (more comfortable) if i take it (holster) off and do it, in my situation. an just like “shamrock” I can do it both ways but prefer taking it off

2 Likes

Though I do have a couple old leather and other soft sided holsters I do much prefer the good quality kydex options. You don’t have to worry about them softening up over time which can make it even harder to reholster and could even potentially catch the trigger while reholstering. For AIWB I really like the Tier 1 and similar holsters that are very easy to draw from and reholster into. They also have a lot of adjustment options so you can get the holster and handgun exactly where you want them and keep them there without shifting. I’m not sure if Tier 1 makes kydex AIWB holsters for revolvers but I’m sure some other maker must make a holster with similar features.

I suspect that your physical challenges make a revolver easier to handle than having to rack the slide on a pistol?

1 Like

You are absolutely correct about the slide.
although i do have a couple of guns that it isn’t to difficult for me to work the slide. I prefer a wheel gun, when I’m in my wheelchair.

3 Likes

I’m a pistol guy but can see the advantage of a revolver for someone with compromised grip strength. Along with not needing to work the slide to load or reload, you also don’t have to worry about getting a jam if the grip isn’t strong enough to let the slide go all the way back. I have seen big strong people limp wrist their pistols simply because they didn’t get a good enough grip on them. But that long double action revolver trigger pull sure is a challenge to get used to!

I had a glimpse into the world of being physically challenged recently. After a total of 17 days in the hospital in November I had lost most of my arm and leg muscle. Spent much of December barely being able to make it to the bathroom with a walker.

Fortunately I’ve been healing and strengthening pretty rapidly since then. But shooting has been much more of a challenge for me than it used to be. Have to teach my new muscles all the tricks the old ones used to know without thinking. Have been working with a grip strengthener and just got some baoding balls to help get my grip strength and coordination back to where they were.

4 Likes

you are correct about the issues with semi vs. a revolver
also good luck on your healing process

3 Likes

you might want to keep your activities like that to yourself, this is a PG forum. :laughing:

4 Likes