Dilemma

You (collective “you”) should copy Alabama law, fairly new. A CC license carrier can have a gun on school grounds as long as it is not there to cause illegal injury. If a “no guns” sign is posted and you are discovered you must leave immediately if asked to or there can be a trespassing charge. All parking lots are OK, except posted federal lots.

4 Likes

how about carrying a mace? or bring a baseball bat with a glove, and put in your trunk, hey every1 plays baseball these days.

2 Likes

Very good discussion. Thanks. One thought is wasp spray as a defense is weapon. The effective range is better than WD-40 and it “high lights” the attacker for the purpose of arrest later.

Wasp spray instead of pepper spray? - Firearm Training - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)
This comes up from time to time. One of the dangers is that you’re using a chemical agent for a purpose it was not intended to be used. That could open the door for lawsuits or even prosecution. Could it be used as a last resort for a tricky situation like this? Maybe, but know the risks.

3 Likes

There is a lot packed into this phrase. I think you do the OP an injustice by calling him timid. He is trying to be a responsible community and family member. Part of that entails keeping his job. Part of that entails not breaking any laws. The OP came here looking for advice and you seem intent on insulting him.

Not what this forum is about, sir. Not at all.

7 Likes

I’m on the wrong forum…Following all the rules will get one killed…Somehow, the bad guys just don’t seem to care about them…I can hear the man’s Epitaph…He was a good man, he followed all the rules, but he’s still dead…Damn the luck…What’s up with that?.. Bad guys, to me the enemy, don’t have any rules…You’ll grow a pair quickly if attacked, and yes, been there, done that…Twice…Luckily, I was breaking the rules, so you follow the rules, me, I’m packing…Kumbaya just don’t get it done…I’ll look for another forum…I thought this was a stand up and stand your ground type place…My bad

2 Likes

Sounds like you have some tough personal decisions to make. Time to start assigning values to things

2 Likes

Hello there! As a licensed concealed carry pistol owner in Florida, I can still see the need for this type of defensive tool. However it looks too much like any number of real firearms out there, I’m concerned about taking a non lethal tool to a gun fight?! Especially if you actually get the first advantage over an assailants attention! That forces them to take deadly action first, without actually sticking to any planned theft without any gun play! That also goes for any Law Enforcement Officer/s! That have been just put on the spot, looking at you handling what looks like a real firearm! There is an alternative out there, that looks nothing like any firearm, that’s called the Kimber Pepper Blaster. That looks nothing like a real firearm. That would definitely not be so alarming to any one on the gun hating public out there! That will be more favorable in their eyes, that will help with acceptance.

1 Like

This site encourages learning about self-defense and the legal use of such. Even when not breaking laws, after a legal self-defense, you might still find yourself being pursued by an aggressive DA. This forum is meant to aid in understanding and learning the “what ifs” that can occur and how best to avoid the legal pitfalls that make an innocent victim of a criminal act yet another victim, but this time of the “justice” system.

6 Likes

Have a tac pen on you. look at FBI info on school and mass shootings most over in before responder get there. gives plan info

2 Likes

I would try to work that angle. Let the school district know that second shifters are worthy of security, too, and should be able to call upon the armed security when needed, otherwise where’s you overtime to shelter in place, or hazardous duty pay to go home? Failing that, Gun Free School zones are so outrageously heinous, I’d happily get creative. Probably start with an OHSA complaint of hazardous work environment, Labor and Industries claim, then depending on my level of disgust, maybe a non-binary sexual harassment claim (just made that up), but you get the point.

1 Like

Old Gnome doesn’t actually own this forum. He just thinks he does. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Air gun does not equal non-lethal. There are plenty of quite lethal…even fully automatic lethal…air guns on the market that are (generally speaking) not regulated by firearms laws.

4 Likes

Very true. I’ve been looking at this option because it’s not considered a firearm. Not sure about other states.

2 Likes

I would offer some advice I got many years ago: if you truly need something, buy at least 2 of them.

High quality, lethal air rifles rely heavily upon pressurized seals and gaskets, tanks, and other fittings that tend to wear out fairly quickly. You also need the ability to recharge your gas and/or replace springs with some regularity if they are being used for hunting, predator control, etc. on a regular basis. Finally, I will toss this in there: remember the speed of sound. Whenever your FPS exceeds the speed of sound, the projectile traveling through the air will make the same “crack” report as a firearm. This is why you shoot sub-sonic rounds with a suppressor if your real goal is stealth. That’s about 1122 fps. Bigger the projectile = bigger “crack.” A full size 1911A1 with standard 230 gr ammo tends to hover around 800-1000 fps. Sub-sonic. But it is very lethal at ranges under 50 meters. Slow +big = fast + small…,roughly speaking. So the more ummmm…useful…air rifles tend to be .22 and bigger, operating at about 900-1000 fps.

4 Likes

I saw an air handgun that uses a CO2 cartridge that can be installed but not initiated (punctured). It’s simple to engage. I noticed there are larger caliber air rifles. I’m unsure about handguns though. I would only want one for fun or in case I have to leave God’s country for Satan’s land (New York, California, New Jersey, Illinois, Washington, Oregon…)

2 Likes

I am not a LEO or lawyer so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. First I think you did right having a plan and telling your wife to hunker down. Second you are right to feel that those harsh gun laws only work on the honest citizens, while the bad guy run free. So to protect yourself when working, wear a concealable bullet resistant vest. It will help but you can’t stop the threat. Another thing that you can do is get political, change the laws about storing your firearm in your car.

I hope this helped and keep 911 on speed dial.

4 Likes

Just a thought… is it possible to park close enough to walk to the school, but off campus?

BTW: It is h-omophobic to say the word h o m o. I did not even use that word. Besides it is an acceptable word in the English language unless it’s used like a slur.

Put the word in front of sapien. It’s Latin. It just means “same”

2 Likes

The problem is that we don’t seem to have h-mogenous connotations.

2 Likes