I need some advice

I and my wife attended a party a while back. I was to look at some guns that the host had for sale while I was there so I had money with me and my carry gun. I looked at the guns he had for sale and passed on them. At the end of the night he insisted we stay as we had been drinking with him so we did. I the morning our host informed me that he had my carry gun and he was keeping it. I told him that he was not and he needed to return it or I would have to report it stolen and by whom. He and his wife explained that if I tried to do that then they would charge that I tried to use it to kill him or that they found it on the floor of their house and didn’t know who it belonged to. As they said either way I would be in trouble and loose my right to carry and to own. My wife doesn’t want me to push the issue as she is afraid they will so as they say and I will be arrested. I am not sure about the new red flag laws here and I am trying to decide my best course of action.

3 Likes

You need a lawyer.

7 Likes

How the f#@% did he get your carry gun?

6 Likes

You need a lawyer, law enforcement, and the paperwork from when you bought the gun. Report it stolen, and give the police the serial number off the paperwork.

6 Likes

Get the police involved, the sooner the better. The longer you wait the worse it looks for you, and the more time this “host” has to get their story straight.

Cops are pretty good at sussing out who is telling the truth (they talk to criminals ALL DAY).

Also, find new drinking buddies.

5 Likes

Yes. This.

I don’t drink away from home. Ever.

6 Likes

What everyone has said above me.

Never ho out drinking without either you or your partner being the designated driver.

Find new friends stat. New parties to go to. Do all of these things today.

God I hope this is a troll

3 Likes

I don’t understand the drinking while carrying. Recipe for trouble.

7 Likes

How long is “a while”?

FWIW, @JOHN359 joined 2 hours ago and has not followed up on his post - maybe legit, but looks suspicious.

edit: Maybe we will hear back from him in “a while”

2 Likes

I am grateful for all of your replies and I agree with all of you, even those who threw a stone or two at this problem. I did not go there to drink but to take my wife and to see the guns he wanted me to buy from him. I didn’t think one drink after we were there would be a big deal. I carry as I said because I had lots of money on me expecting to buy guns and then transport them home. I agree guns and alcohol do not mix, ever. I was speaking to an attorney this entire time about this situation and was told to report the gun as stolen. Then let the attorney know and they will handle it from there. You are a great community and I am happy that I am a USCCA member. He took the gun from my pocket he said while I was sleeping by the way. Lots of mistakes, they will not be repeated!

5 Likes

How do trust someone that much to put your wife in danger like that? Did he drug you or you hand more then one drink? Is you wife ok? You said he took the gun out of you pocket, where was your wife or did she drink too much as well? He took the gun, but left you with the cash?

2 Likes

We were at their house. It isn’t like we were in a back alley slumming or looking for trouble. My wife went to sleep before our host and I did. He is a very big drinker and is never sober. I believe he has what is called wet brain. I know that after a while of drinking he is not dealing with reality. He goes into a world of his own making and sees things in a very strange way. I didn’t want to go to his house but my wife and our host’s wife were trying to get us to become friends.

3 Likes

sounds like a bad situation with a bunch of lessons learned. I think your lawyer’s advice sounds excellent. Follow that and let us know how it comes out.

One of the things we do here is take the opportunity to learn, from ourselves and from each other. If you’re inclined, I’d be interested to hear what your observations are about things done right, things not, and what you’d do differently next time.

4 Likes

Ugh.
Sounds like a terrible situation. I hope you can get it resolved–scary stuff.

2 Likes

Couple of pieces of advice,

GE SH50246 Personal Security Door Stop Alarm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000YNR4M/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_rN8EEbPHZN9Q2

Cheap easy and it works.

1 Like

YES, You need a Lawyer, a GOOD Lawyer because the “Host” INVITED You to Stay & then Actually Stole Your weapon; Assuming, of course, that the weapon was Legal AND Registered !
I’d not want to complain if that’s not the case but I’m sure that it is/was since You ARE a member of USCCA.
And, if you don’t mind, pray tell HOW he Got your Gun?

1 Like

You have the paperwork from the purchase, am hoping some friendly witnesses from the party to line up as witnesses with whom the cops can speak, and call the law with this problem. If they can’t get it straightened out, you have the foundation you need for your lawyer. Horrible situation and best wishes to resolve it asap

3 Likes

John> Drinking and carrying is a bone headed decision and frankly in doing so you make it hard for the sense able carrier. DIDN’T you CCW instructor tell you never carry and drink?

Now what you need to do is contact a lawyer first and since you are a member of USCCA their lawyer network may be able to this.
I was told by the rep. that signed us up that ANY problem involving a weapon they can help.

1 Like

A couple of quick points to remember:

Not everyone here is a USCCA member.

The purpose of the USCCA membership is to assist you with your legal defense after a physical self-defense incident. It can assist you when you’ve defended yourself with any legal weapon. It does not assist with any problem involving a weapon.

Instead of berating @John359 for having a drink while carrying (which we all know is a bad idea), let’s take this opportunity to mentally train:

If you’re at home and have an alcoholic beverage, are your guns always locked in the safe? Have you ever had alcohol hit you wrong? How would you defend yourself in that situation?

6 Likes

Yup-alcohol and gunpowder do NOT mix. When they do, bad stuff happens.

1 Like