Crossing a state that doesn't recognize a Pa. cc permit

I am planning a trip from Pa to Ga. in late Dec. - with all of the states on the way south I won’t have a problem carrying my pistol except South Carolina which doesn’t recognize a Pa carry concealed permit - any suggestions?

3 Likes

Take the long way through Tennessee…

5 Likes

If your drive thru South Carolina is a straight drive other than stopping for fuel, and NOT staying over for the night NOR STOPPING AT A REST AREA, just lock your firearm, UNLOADED, and LOCKED in a secured gun safe in the trunk of your car, watch your speed, shouldn’t that be OK?

8 Likes

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/sc-gun-laws/

" Without a permit the firearm must be secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment.

[S.C. Code Ann. § 16-23-20]"

7 Likes

Thanks everyone for the feedback- will secure it in a locked box in my luggage.

3 Likes

I don’t think South Carolina recognizes anyone’s Permit. That’s why I just drive around it. My safety is worth more to me, than the inconvenience.

3 Likes

They do NC.

5 Likes

They do.

IIRC they used to not, but they recognize some now, including mine thankfully.

3 Likes

I used to have a vacation home in South Carolina, at Lake Wiley, which was 17 years ago. Lake Wiley is the border between Charlotte, N.C. and Lake Wiley, S.C.

It was jarring to find out that they didn’t accept my CC license.

2 Likes

If you have to cross any distance through Maryland, do your research and avoid it if you can. This from a former Maryland resident. You probably know all about it though.

5 Likes

Isn’t this the same procedure for driving through any state that does not recognize your cc permit… Or is there something different about South Carolina already have a state?

4 Likes

Hello and welcome @John1330

1 Like

Welcome to the family, we are glad to have you with us! Probably not the same in NY or California. They seem to be special… It’s always best to look up reciprocity and state laws in states you are traveling to. Better to know than end up being a statistic.

2 Likes

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/?_gl=1*1xrju2q*_ga*MTkyNDYwNjY4OS4xNjU1MjY1MDgz*_ga_MFZ3H4HBX9*MTY2OTM0NzQwOC4zODAuMS4xNjY5MzQ5ODY3LjU2LjAuMA..&_ga=2.113827396.2139115910.1668312642-1924606689.1655265083
I don’t know how to link things like the cool kids do, so copy and paste is all you get.

2 Likes

Pretty much the same thing if any from south is going through Maryland.

2 Likes

Yeah, you’re right, it must have been due to some p****d-off cousins.

Did your trip go OK? Would an AZ or FL permit be accepted in So Carolina?

1 Like

No, SC does not recognize non resident AZ or FL permits.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/sc-gun-laws/

1 Like

Just picked up this morning on Guns and Gadgets. Alabama 1 Jan is permitless carry. It brings the count to I think 26 States. I asked locally once about enhanced carry, I apparently doesn’t exist in my state. Have wondered what the process for one in the states that have them is. Happy New Year, Heres to better days!! :us:

2 Likes

I think Alabama is #25.

Generally it seems like “enhanced” carry permits vs non-enhanced, for states that have both, enhanced requires specific training and the non-enhanced does not

1 Like