Crossing a state that doesn't recognize a Pa. cc permit

Hi Arnie_W.

Curious, which states if any have “enhanced carry”? Thanks.

1 Like

I know that Tenn possibly, I asked that question of some in NC. All I got was the deer in the headlight look. Yep asking the same question as you.

1 Like

Yeap believe your right on#25. It may be Fla thats going to be #26

I haven’t mentioned this, but Alabama’s Constitutional Carry law, is back door gun control. The statewide 2A organization that I belong to, we lobbied hard to kill this bill.

Our concealed carry permit is $12.50 per year and you can get a 5 year permit. So… We get to save $12.50 a year in fee’s.

In exchange we got:

1. Signs for non permitted CC are enforced
  2. LEO’S have to be told if you have a concealed weapon in the car AND you have to hand it over to them if they request it. That can’t possibly go wrong, can it
  3. Since Sheriff’s offices were partially funded by CC fee’s. Every county got $5 million in State financing.

So, to save $12.50, a year. I get to play, is the nice police officer going to shoot me as I hand him my CC firearm, and where is the money :money_mouth_face: coming from to pay this
increased funding for County Sheriff’s coming from.

We wrote the bill. It was, originally, one page :page_facing_up:. The abortion that it became, was after the County Sheriff’s and Moms Demand Action added multiple infringements to our RKBA. So the State that has the highest% of CC per Capita now gets to save $12.50 a year. We all know that CC are going to still get their CC permits so they can CC if they go out of state.

Isn’t Constitutional Carry wonderful?

1. This is annoying but doesn’t bother me in that private property Rights are still a thing

2. You didn’t have to turn over possession of the firearm during a stop/detention when requested in the past?

3. I’d rather everybody pay to fund the Sheriff’s office instead of burdening the licensed carriers

…yes? I think not requiring a governmental permission slip granting you the privilege of exercising your Right is wonderful?

I could see signs being annoying to those who already registered themselves with a carry permit though. You have to pay attention to what private businesses don’t want guns

No. Did I let law enforcement know I had a handgun CC? Yes. But in all of my years concealed carry, not one LEO ever asked me to hand them my handgun. Now we are introducing an exchange that could become lethal, just due to an Interpretation of a LEO. That concerns me.

As far as funding, the Sheriff’s office is still being funded by CC licenses with an extra amount of funding from the legislature. Do you really think people are not going to get their permits (in a State where more than 33% of the population, has a CC permit)?

Alabama as a state, has had serious problems with LEO’s Departments becoming too militarized from buying surplus military supplies. We have 1 city that has absolutely no waterways other than water being moved through the pipes, and they had several Zod’s and a completely outfitted military surplus dive team. That county got cited because the Zods were being used for recreational purposes.

We have 1 City in Alabama that had it’s entire Criminal Justice system disbanded by the Federal government due to inappropriate law enforcement. Numerous other counties with indictments for corruption.

So, pardon me, I am concerned for my safety. As I am required to hand my firearm over to an LEO, and I then have to wait to see whether I got shot because the LEO misinterpreted my hand off to him.

In a State that charges $12.50 a year for CC permits. A State that you can file for your CC permits online.

I would rather pay $12.50 a year and not have all of the new requirements from Constitutional Carry. Rather than have Constitutional Carry and still have to pay $12.50

There is no upside. Other than I guess a chance to CC with out your wallet.

I did not realize the law required that everybody carrying a gun literally handle their gun to hand it to an officer on every stop. That seems…strange.

I was interpreting it as the law just explicitly saying what is the typical situation of LEO being able to take control of your firearm(s) during a stop if they wanted

It is required if the LEO asks. You HAVE to let them know you are carrying. Then if they ASK you have to hand it to them. That’s what worries me. Especially, for me, since I have my EDC and an AR in a security safe. Which means I may have my back to LEO while I am fiddling with my safe and then I have to turn back towards the LEO to hand my AR to them and hope like hell that they aren’t startled.

Yes, I do explain every stop. I keep my hands at the roof line and I wait in that position until I am able to explain that I have a concealed firearm, where it’s at and I narrate every move I make because I don’t want to startle the LEO.

I had one officer ask me (I was in the passenger seat, my wife had a headlight go out while we coming from the movies) ask me why I had my hands up. I was telling him why, when it clicked for him that I was armed.

The usual response I get is don’t draw yours and I won’t draw mine.

Edit Here’s the other problem. LEO’S that don’t know the law and get freaked out about you announcing that you have a firearm.

The person being interviewed doesn’t even know what’s in the new law and he is the Sheriff for Dallas County.

Edit: added-ask-in bold letters 3rd paragraph.

If your state has an Enhanced Carry, please share which state and any insight.

TN

I read that Tennessee does.

Is this correct? Many tennesse-ans can qualify. It will allow them to carry:

“Permits for Enhanced Carry and Concealed Carry in Tennessee

Individuals who qualify for permitless carry can also apply for enhanced carry and concealed handgun carry permits. These permits allow permit holders to carry guns in select places where permitless carry is not allowed, including:

• Public parks (unless being used for school activities)
  • Greenways and nature trails
  • State and local campgrounds
  • Posted government and private buildings allowing ‘Concealed Firearms by Permit Only’, and
  • Authorized employees of colleges and universities”.

MS

"With the normal Mississippi concealed carry permit, it is a crime to carry a gun into any of the following places in Mississippi:

any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1, Mississippi Code of 1972;
any police, sheriff or highway patrol station;
any detention facility, prison or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his courtroom;
any polling place; any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity;
any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose;
any elementary or secondary school facility; any junior college, community college, college or university facility unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity;
inside the passenger terminal of any airport, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal if the firearm is encased for shipment, for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft;
any church or other place of worship; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the “carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited.”

No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize the participants in a parade or demonstration for which a permit is required to carry a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver.

Once you have obtained the enhanced endorsement for your Mississippi concealed carry permit, the above listed restrictions are removed except for the following:

Police, sheriff or highway patrol station
Prisons or jails
Courtrooms where court is in session (the rest of the courthouse is OK)
Any location prohibited by federal statute
Any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1"

Way to go TN and MS. Wish other states would allow such freedoms. Of course, we encourage safe and civil behavior, perhaps a different topic. Bur as far as rights go, this seems helpful to the responsible owner. For example, less having to leave one’s arm in their car, not as safe/secure.

Source: Tennessee Gun Laws and Regulations | CriminalDefenseLawyer.com

Source: https://www.bearcotraining.com/mississippi-enhanced-conceal-carry-permit/

We were #22 it became whatever number it is due to 7 month delay.

That’s the way many if not most states are and have been for a long time

I’m surprised Alabama wasn’t already exactly like that honestly

I doubt it’s a problem and seems well worth getting rid of the permit requirement but I don’t reside there

So, 15-30 minutes and $12.50 is to onerous. Where as the current law is going to allow federally prohibited persons to CC.? When you get a permit in Alabama, they have the time to do a full scale background check.

But now federally prohibited people will be able to CC. As LEO do not have the time to do a full background check.

Not to mention the millions of $$ that are going to go to law enforcement. Law Enforcement that has shown they don’t have the fiscal responsibility to handle what they already have.

That Constitutional Carry does not add anything that wasn’t already available, and in fact adds several complications. That’s ok, because it just lowers you to preexisting states levels.

This Constitutional Carry was not wanted by anyone, once they got it behind closed doors. The State Representative, who introduced it, tried to kill it.

Because what got added to it. A requirement to tell LEO immediately that you had a concealed handgun. Perhaps, you are not cognizant that in Michigan (they have to do the same) a man went to prison and lost his 2nd Amendment rights because it took him 44 seconds to interrupt the LEO and tell him he had a Concealed handgun. That case went to the Supreme Court. The man lost.

So what did the new Constitutional Carry bill do

Plus

1. It allows anyone to CC even if they couldn’t legally purchase a gun. As NICS checks are more thorough than what a police officer on the side of the road can do. I mean, gosh, having to pay $12.50 and do a 15-30 minutes online request, that was really burdensome

Minuses

1. New requirements to inform and have to do additional administrative handling of your firearms.

2. Additional tax $$ to Sheriff’s, who have shown that they lack the fiscal responsibility to handle the $$ they already have. Additional tax $$ that have to be taken away from other services as Alabama didn’t stumble upon extra money.

3. Hope like heck that the LEO knows how to safely handle a firearm, as the firearm will be pointing into the car most likely. Since I don’t think a LEO will want you to be pointing the gun at him.

4. It’s just virtue signaling. As Constitutional Carry fixed a problem that wasn’t there. So it can be and has been argued that it endangers rather than enhances.

I think it does.

It makes concealed carry an actual Right and not a privilege granted by prior written authorization.

I don’t know enough about what got added to it to speak to things like how much money Sheriff’s will get or what they might use that money for, though.

Are you sure the law allows people to legally carry concealed when it’s illegal for them to possess a gun? That seems strange.

I’m not so sure there will be additional admin handling of the firearm. I’ll betcha (I’m not a lawyer) that if a LEO wanted to take and secure your firearm(s) during a stop previously…they could have would have and did. I’m expecting nothing on a practical side-of-the-road level will change there, really.

How detailed is a NICS check? How detailed is a side of the road background check? See the difference. If you had a CC permit then LEO could be fairly sure you were a good guy with a gun and therefore not a danger.

You are aware that CC are 12 times less likely to commit a crime than even LEO’s are.

Alabama’s Constitutional Carry adds complexity. It solves a problem that doesn’t exist. Concealed Carry laws in Alabama resulted in Alabama having the highest percentage of CC in the Nation.

If 95% of LEO, 100% of pro 2A, and the State Rep. who originally sponsored the bill. All say this is a bad law. Chances are… It’s a bad law.

Are the Pro 2A organizations putting their effort together yet to get it repealed? With 100% of Pro 2A against it, it seems like this would be really easy to repeal. I can’t imagine the anti-2A having a problem with repealing it.

Personally, I consider myself pretty darn pro 2A and I like it for returning the RKBA to a Right and not a privilege. But, I don’t live in AL so I may not count towards that % lol

Honestly, logic isn’t going to make you change your mind. As I have described this multiple times.

You are right, I won’t change my mind about what I do and do not consider to be gun control. And many people don’t agree with me. That’s okay. Opinions vary.

But I am curious if the 2A orgs have started their push to repeal it yet, you seem heavily involved, what are you hearing?

Let me see if I understand you.

You feel that a State that has the highest percentage of Concealed Carriers in the Nation. That it’s only requirement for Concealed Carry, is to pass a NICS check and pay $12.50 per year for up to 5 years. So once every 5 years you have to take a NICS check. That’s it, nothing else. This State required any anti 2A laws, would have to pass strict judicial scrutiny. So there is no way to actually pass anti 2A laws. Unless you attach it to an ostensibly pro 2A bill.

Let’s not forget how you boil a frog :frog:. You infringe on it’s environment a little bit at a time.

Even if you were theoretically able to oust the Republican super majority that Alabama has.

No required warnings to anyone

No announcing firearms to LEO. Something that if a LEO asked you would have to do anyways if they asked.

No having to turn your firearm over and risking an accident .

The bolded parts are all things LEO have the power to do anyways. Now the onus is on the citizen.

No having to steal $$ from Peter to pay Paul.

Not having to worry did I miss a sign.

But it’s cool with you that Citizens of Alabama have to contend with these. How did you put it. Oh yeah. It’s ok because most other states have to do it.

Millions and Millions of Tax $$ redistributed to County Sheriffs, who still receive Funding from the state and CC permit $$. Who have also proven to be remarkably bad at the stewardship of tax funding.

A Constitutional law that in it’s original iteration was vehemently opposed by Moms Demand Action. Until it got behind closed doors, where it was twisted from it’s original intent, and suddenly, Mom’s Demand Action, stopped protesting, trust me I know. Since I was actually in the room when the original was written.

A bill that the State Representative who sponsored it, tried to kill it because it got twisted

So, you think, that withdrawing the CC permit, which cost $12.50 a year and a NICS check every 5 years. Which everyone who wanted a permit, was legally eligible and wanted one, got one. Alabama is a “Shall Issue” state Because a 33% CC permit by the States population. Is pretty hard to argue with.

You think that permit less CC is better because you don’t have to get a “signed permission slip”. Which anyone who legally wanted one had one. At the cost of $12.50 a year(3.5 cents a day) and every 5 years pass a NICS check(3 to 6 minutes averaged per year over 5 years).

You and I have very different ideas about Gun Control

I have persisted in trying to show you that Alabama’s Constitutional Carry law is flawed.

The only people that this law helps is those who are not yet felons but still remain ineligible due to not being able to pass a NICS check. The rest of the people have had complications added to their life by the backdoor gun control passed in this supposedly pro gun law.

As far as what are 2A organizations doing. Nothing right now as it won’t accomplish anything. However we do plan to change things in 2024.

I believe it is an improvement to return the Right to keep and bear arms to a Right that does not require a permit.

I don’t have a problem with private businesses being able to control who brings what onto their private property. It’s annoying, I know. But, it is their private property

I don’t know enough to speak to the money going to sheriff’s offices and I certainly am in no position to judge how they spend that money.

What do you mean when you say “withdrawing” CC permit?

BTW I think requiring that “It only costs $12.50 anybody can get one” permit is part of the boiling process.

I’ve asked this a couple of times but I will ask you again.

How though/detailed is a NICS check? Supposedly very thorough.

How detailed is a background check? As far as it compares to a NICS check. Not very thorough or detailed.

Pre Constitutional Carry. If you didn’t have a CC. You couldn’t carry.

Post Constitutional Carry. LEO’s don’t know if someone is legally allowed to carry unless they arrest them and a full NICS can be run.