Crossbreed Holsters

I have an IWB supertuck that is very comfortable. Big mistake I made was not getting the combat cut, I had periodic issues with the mag release being depressed by the leather backing. A trip to a local leather Smith to have it trimmed down quite a bit and no longer have that issue and is now also easier to draw. The leather smith who also makes custom holsters from all leather to leather and kydex to all kydex was rather impressed with how grainy and strong the leather was. I have had the holster for over a year and is used almost daily unless I’m carrying a different firearm and I would highly recommend them but I also try to do my best to also support a local guy who makes high quality holsters as well.

3 Likes

Just another follow up on the reckoning.

It scraped me up pretty bad a while back so I stopped using it for a few months. I put it back on yesterday. As long as I have an undershirt on, and I move it a little further back than usual, (I’ve started moving closer to 3:00 than 4:00 lately), it is very comfortable. I conceals well, and tucking in works really well. It will be the holster I used for when I dress up and need to tuck in, or if I plan on wearing it for a long while.

My go to will always be the single clip codex because it’s just so easy to clip on and off. The hybrid holster with two clips can be hard to clip on sometimes.

1 Like

I will say if I could go back, I would get the super tuck over the reckoning. I think the reckoning works, I use it for when I dress up, but I don’t think retention screws and leather are a great combo. There are just too many variables to the retention.

I’m gonna make it work for what I need. I personally would not feel comfortable carrying it OWB (that’s my ignorant opinion).

Well, I have been a long time fan of the CB name and OWB holsters but have to bring our relationship to an end.

I have mentioned before that the kydex cracks and breaks, but CB has always just sent me a new holsters pretty quickly under their Lifetime Warranty. This is great and I appreciate it. But, I am now on my 4th holster this year. Yep, I’ve got to send in another one to be replaced for cracking kydex under warranty.

From the posts above I’m thinking of going to a Muddy River Tactical holster. They have all leather ones which will never crack. They also have all kydex, which may be good as the CB always cracked in the same spot, where the kydex meets the leather.

Maybe the CB’s are not for folks who wear their EDC every day?
I need an OWB holsters that hugs my hip, and that has a sweat guard as I wear t-shirts alot.

I’ve been with the company as a customer since they opened, so have a lot of loyalty towards them, but 4 times this year, that ridiculous.

3 Likes

Wow… thanks for sharing. I starting looking into a Vedder Light Tuck. I might end up picking one of those up now. I want gear I know will be safe and last a long time.

1 Like

With the Muddy River, or any ALL leather, I’m just anxious that it will stretch out an hang after , months/years?

PS, I just looked at the Vedder, they look exactly like CB. Also, on their leather to kydex contact points, they look the same as CB there too so I can only assume they will fail there as well.

3 Likes

I’ve had excellent experiences with Vedder Light Tucks with a P320 X-Carry. Has held up very well, I only went away from it because I prefer a 2-Clip setup when I went back to my P229 due to weight.

2 Likes

I’m also interested in the Vedder Light Draw for my full size.

1 Like

The holsters vedder has that I’m interested in are all Kydex. The leather is more comfortable, but I’ve come to prefer Kydex.

1 Like

So this is really crazy. That being said, being an instructor would you say you put a lot more strain on your holsters? I really like my standard owb model. I haven’t used it for daily carry yet (I may or may not). To me it’s my SHTF holster.

I think I will be throwing my reckoning in the holster bin. Retention screws and leather don’t mix.

I think I’m goin to get the Vedder Lighy Draw. I need a holster I can tuck a shirt in for when needed. (Edit: I did order the light tuck) I’m going to hold off on light draw for now.

1 Like

Hey, a good question @Scoutbob.
But no, as an instructor I do comparatively very little presentation from holster other than to demonstrate for students. I actually have not fired a single handgun round since… maybe March. The kydex has broken 2 times since than. Usually I get 1 replacement due to breakage every year. This year 4 times, so far.

Now, when I’m the student, yes, maybe 50-60 draws a day and 300-400 rounds down range.

Also, I’ve actually cracked the kydex more now after losing 50lbs than before when I was a fatty. So it can’t be my shape. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, I’ll have to watch out for it. I will replace it eventually now. I’d like to get a really nice custom made own so I can look “tacticool” one day :rofl::joy:

1 Like

I had a local leather smith make me one. I brought them an unused (new) CB holster, and left one of my spare Ruger SR9C’s to mold his custom one after. He did a GREAT job forming it perfectly, but, yep, there’s a but, I specifically told him to make it out of the DOUBLE leather thickness so it would never sag. He did the outside double, but the backer, the part that loops through your belt, was single ply.

So, within a month, it was all droopy. A waste of 80 bucks!

2 Likes

Just got my vedder holster in. I think they will become my new Go To holster company.

2 Likes

The Muddy River came yesterday.

All Kydex
PRo’s:
It is more comfortable, no break in period like leather
Good Retention
Seems pretty sturdy and well made, we’ll wear it and see how long it lasts

Con’s
The combat cut on the back doesn’t go to the top/back of the slide so there is about 3/4 to 1" of metal that will come in contact with my skin. Potential for rust
The “form” is not exact. I’ve noticed just in 1 day of wearing that the safety has been disengaged twice. Upon inspection, the bulge in the kydex is just off center to where the safety button sticks out. This off center puts pressure on the safety button trying to disengage it. I’ll wear this holster a few more days and if it keeps up, it’s a show stopper.

Leather:
Pro’s - nice quality soft leather the base is double thick leather

Con’s - the outer cover is single ply leather so I’m pretty sure this will get all floppy after a while
The combat cut comes up to wide on the back and will obstruct the webbing of your hand when you go to get a full, firm grip upon holster extraction.

UPDATE
The safety keeps going off so I don’t have a choice but to send them back.
Kevin the owner was real nice about it and send just send them back.

So the hunt continues for another holster company to replace the CB.

3 Likes

Looking at the Vedders now @Scoutbob

1 Like

Crucial Concealment is made of kydex and I use it for iwb CCW.

Much better then the crossbreed holster I was using. The only nagging part about the iwb is that the pyramid grip technology that the hellcat has grinds on my skin if I wear it all day long. Time to build up some tough skin and calluses like I do on my hands when I work out.

I also have crucial concealment OWB holster for the self defense course that I take at The Range St. Louis.

It hugs and curves to the body without bulging out like the Blackhawk holster does. It’s simplistic.

1 Like

I just looked at these. They only make one holster for the entire ruger line. So that’s a no go

Still looking… More tips are welcome…

2 Likes

How about these?
A student suggested I check them out…

1 Like

This thread has rekindled my love for Vedder holsters. Just received my light tuck for my 229 this afternoon and it’s on my hip now. The kydex OWBs from them are fantastic also.

2 Likes