Concealed carry unloaded into a no weapons location when I don't have lockbox in truck

:flushed:

I thought it’s common knowledge.

5 Likes

Like common sense is not as common as we might think.

We learn things by kicking over rocks!!!

:face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

In Ohio, you can leave the firearm in a locked vehicle.

2 Likes

There are places you can do that. Illinois is not one of those. Best option is to avoid going to places where they have the proper sign. There is a specific sign with a specific layout that has to conform to the law to be legal. Change any part of that and it’s just a suggestion. I have heard of places that had a non-accepted version of the sign to satisfy the radicals but still allow legal CCW.

6 Likes

The Illinois License to Carry “Safe Harbor”

http://www.illinoisgunpros.com/understanding-the-parking-lot-exemption-when-carrying-in-illinois/

5 Likes

That’s true. I was specifically thinking of inside non-government buildings. About the only place I can’t carry my CCW is when I go to the doctor. Pretty much any place else is not a problem.

5 Likes

Good question as I know most of us have ran into that. Will be watching for what LU-Can comes up with on it

2 Likes

Yes , I agree. Not dealing with reasonable people in most cases.

3 Likes

I wonder how many times that has been violated here in AZ? Considering most of the state of AZ carries.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family @Michael853 and God bless you.

I basically carry wherever I go except the obvious ones…Police Station, Airport or any metal detectors.
I always check myself prior to leaving the house that I’m not printing in any way…standing or bending over. I also wear printed shirts, which help to conceal.
For my work, I have to OWB carry, and being here in TX you can open carry, I entered Costco. Didn’t see any signs, so I didn’t bother to untuck my shirt and walked in. I was not questioned until I was in line for my prescription meds. The manager and another person came up to me and asked if I was a Peace Officer, which I said no. She then said I had to leave my firearm in the car and not have it on me while shopping. I mentioned to her I did not see at sign at the door, her reply was it is in the contract when you sign up as a member.
I could have replied in many ways, since there was no sign, and I’ve been a member since the 90s and don’t recall seeing anything about firearms, but it just wasn’t worth my time. I was going to point out to her that if I meant to do any harm, could you imagine the damage I could have done from the entrance to the Pharmacy? And no one would have a fire arm to shoot back! But again, not worth my time, went back to the car and locked it in the glove box.
However, I do walk into Costco with my CC and no one knows it…theaters and a few times to the PO when checking my PO Box.
Don’t get me wrong, I try to be as law abiding as possible, but when it comes to my life…well my life comes first.
It would be like if they came to my door to take away my fire arms because that’s the law now…my reply would be, which one of you are going down with me or do I get to pick?..,I know I’m going down, but I won’t be the only one!
Police stations…NO, Airport No…most others Yes…but I’m willing to face the consequences, but not willing to die so easily.

3 Likes

Phil,
I’m just outside Columbus. My advice is to stay in the truck. An unloaded concealed firearm is a still firearm. No where does it say ‘loaded or unloaded’ in the laws in OH.
Your only possible solution (and I don’t know that I would want to fight it in court) is to disassemble your pistol and leave one big part in the truck. I know a guy in Wisconsin fought the DNR and won when he argued that an over/under shotgun when taken apart is not a firearm.
He still had to go to court. I know I don’t want those hassles.

2 Likes

I bring my gun safe with me, that way when a friend goes to the doctors or somewhere I can’t carry the gun goes in there. I don’t drink anymore so I don’t go to bars, besides I lost friends who do drink, so no problem.

1 Like

I believe the reason @Michael83 made the comment about taking the slide, was that if the firearm was stolen from the vehicle or the entire vehicle was stolen, then the perp would not have a functioning firearm - a far better outcome than the perp getting a fully-functional, loaded handgun. The likelihood of being caught with the slide is very low, and the fact that someone had to argue that logic in court is ridiculous.

1 Like

Correct. Idea is would be to make it harder if someone broke into vehicle and stole it.

In Texas, unless it is a prohibited area like a bar, etc., they must post a legal 30.06 and/or 30.07 signs. Other “No gun” signs do not matter to LTC or CHL license holder.

The serialized part is the gun, at least in Texas.

2 Likes

Totally agree this is why an Employer may ban carrying a handgun in premises but not keeping it in you truck is just crazy. Sometimes that’s just ignored… :wink:

3 Likes

I knew you couldn’t enter the post office carrying a firearm, but I didn’t know about the parking lot…I always locked up my pistol in my mobil safe in my truck… thanks for the education …

1 Like

I read though all of these and looked at them and I came to a realization why there’s a problem. I ‘feel’ when a business puts up a no weapons sign either are anti firearm, they think criminals will obey the sign or just don’t want to deal with it. As for bars, aside from the movies where everyone in the bar is armed and drinking, alcohol does have an effect on judgement. I think if a person wants to go into a bar but not leave their firearm at home or in the car they should be able get a armband like the hospitals use that can’t be removed, then they can be with friends but no drink ANY alcohol. Of course you would have to declare you are in the possession of a firearm, I never said it was a perfect thought.

4 Likes

@PhilH

https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-2923.1210

1 Like

There might be a couple other strings with additional ideas. I like a strong vehicle box; have a cabled one with a thicker cable, but hope to bolt or weld it down. Hornady Co. has a n interesting one, where you inflate a rubber pillow to keep it sturdy, but might need to cover to hide it from wandering eyes. Another post showed a portable box you can carry with you in your book bag or “bag” (portable withe a cable for either in or out of the car use), it was nice but on the pricey side. Here’s a more affordable one:

3 Likes