Concealed carry unloaded into a no weapons location when I don't have lockbox in truck

Welcome to the family @Derek35 and God bless you.

3 Likes

@Derek35 welcome to the family brother glad you had become part of the family.

2 Likes

Even locked you are braking the law.
I do believe there should be some exceptions if your legally allowed to have in your possession going into the billing is another story but you just can’t leave a gun In your truck email that’s locked up. You’re still responsible

4 Likes

Is half a gun a gun? If not brake it down and have your friend carry half.

7 Likes

At least in the top 5.

Congratulations Illinois :rage:

5 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Paul254 and you are in the right place at the right time .

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @JOSEPH283 and you are blessed to be here.

2 Likes

Some areas are definitely NOT gun friendly. San Francisco is one. I have stopped going there. Any professional involvement with police, one would have to declare. The police will confiscate. Even if you were just a witness to something. Then it will take years to get one’s weapon back - if at all. They like to keep your weapons so that the criminals may only carry.

Probably bad as NY, NY or IL. I believe CA may have other states beat. Heck, we have not had a new gun approved on the CA list for over a decade because any new gun MUST have micro printing on the firing pin - yeah, like that is going to happen at a reasonable cost; dang bureaucrats.

3 Likes

I don’t think that will work. My guess, and only a guess, is that you must not have the “lower” which typically constitutes the firearm. Uncertain and definitely should be researched and verified.

4 Likes

Baring some way of leaving your firearm securely locked in the vehicle, field strip it and leave the serialized component in the car (well hidden). Take the rest with you. Without the serialized component the rest are just parts, not firearms. This may appear to be going to absurd measures, but you are not dealing with reasonable people. Larry in NC.

6 Likes

Hello and welcome @JOSEPH283 @Paul254

3 Likes

If your community has such restrictions, and you cannot get that law changed, then work to change laws so that any premises/location that denies carrying can easily and lawfully provide a secure check and storage and return of same for customers’ weapons when they leave the premises. This “coat-check” approach is used in some states for government buildings where guns cannot be brought in beyond the checkpoint. The ones I’ve read about that do that seemed to require “Real ID” AND any carry permit documents that may be required for that given city/state. The “Real ID” is the one that you will be required to have come October 2021 if you plan to travel by commercial air, train, or inter-city buses. It is more complicated to get all the documentation needed to get a Real ID than a “standard” state DL or ID. It took me over two months to get an “original copy” of my birth certificate that satisfied the state agency that issues these.
Real ID requires a specific birth certificate, but did NOT allow hospital birth certificates even if they are the original, have the metalized official seal, and are notarized. The birth certificate copy MUST be issued from the county recorder office or equivalent approved government agency of the county/parish/etc in which you were born (similarly strict requirements for citizens born out of the U.S. like on an overseas military base. My B.C. signed by the commander of the base on which I was born (in the U.S. by the way…was NOT allowed so I had to take special actions to get a “government issued” B.C. that Real ID agency would accept.)

4 Likes

Passports work just as good as rid.

4 Likes

If you don’t already have one a U.S. passport is quite a bit more expensive in many states than a Real ID card. There’s also something called a “Passport Card” which has limited travel capability, but I don’t know anything about it).
Something I left out earlier is that you will also have to have a Real ID (or suitable equivalent) just to ENTER most if not all federal buildings (not sure, but I would think this probably doesn’t apply at things like national park buildings).

3 Likes

Waitaminute… !!! Your not allowed to have your pistol … in your truck/car, …
IN THE PARKING LOT , of the post office ???this is the first I’ve heard of this… what are you supposed to do ? Leave it on the curb & hope for the best ???

4 Likes

You could just hand it to the sketchy looking character standing on the street corner and ask them to hold it for you till you get back. What could possibly go wrong??

It is an asinine law but you could park on the street or other nearby lot. Though that might be a tip off to an observant thief that you have a gun in the car. We all need to remember that the actual purpose of all these laws are to disarm law abiding citizens, not to make anyone safer. They don’t make any sense otherwise as they only make everyone less safe.

7 Likes

I agree with Russ - carry on! I won’t carry if I’m going to pass through a metal detector (duh!) but otherwise be cognizant of what you are doing and carry. My rule is if there is sufficient security to protect me (Police Dept, etc.) AND you have screened everyone else (airports, sporting events, etc.) to make sure they aren’t armed, then I’m fine not carrying. Otherwise, pants on, gun on.

7 Likes

Other suitable equivalent includes US passport. If you are planning on taking a cruse you will probably need a passport,. My last passport cost about $100 and is good for 10 years. Compare that to what a drivers license/real id cost in your state.

List item

3 Likes

I was remembering it being a bit more. Snip of a pdf from the State Department website:

2 Likes

Unfortunately yes!

4 Likes