Laws on upcoming travel through Kentucky and Tennessee with AR pistol

Need some good advice on my upcoming travel from Ohio where I live and going through Kentucky and Tennessee,I have a valid Ohio CHL ,will be traveling with 1 adult non CHL. I will have my Glock holstered on me at all times,I’m traveling with my unloaded AR pistol which will be in the trunk and I was thinking of taking 2 magazines for the AR locked in a lockbox in the backseat floorboard now would this be ok as far as not violating any laws ,also would having a couple loaded Glock magazines in the glovebox be ok?

5 Likes

@Joshua68 Welcome to the community. Did you check the Reciprocity Map? Or ping @MikeBKY, he is from that area. Again welcome.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family and god bless you.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Joshua68! In Kentucky you can carry (open or concealed) anything you can legally own with or without a permit (constitutional carry). We have no magazine capacity limits and AR pistols are fine with no special storage requirements. In fact, if the are Firearms in the glovebox, center console or any factory installed compartment, they are not considered concealed.

As for TN, your Ohio CCL is recognized. Open carry is not permitted with a foreign CCL. One thing to remember in TN is that no gun signs have the force of law.

Enjoy your trip!

4 Likes

Welcome @Joshua68!

You not only found the right spot but so happens you just met what many call a matter of opinion but @MikeBKY is by far the best lawyer I’ve ever met. Lucky for you he practices in KY but still trust his ‘opinions and none legal thought’ about my state and all others.

2 Likes

So you are saying if I enter a place with my gun holstered/concealed with a sign that says no guns I’ll be charged with trepass correct?

1 Like

Yes I did thank you !

2 Likes

It is not prosecuted as trespassing. It is a class B misdemeanor subject to a $500 fine.

If in Kentucky and you are in a posted are and asked to leave and do not, it is trespassing.

3 Likes

We just returned last night from vacationing in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Prior to hitting the road, I called each state police agency we were traveling through just for clarity. IL does not recognize my WI permit. That said, IL State Police advised as long as I remained in my vehicle I could carry concealed. Please review whether you must notify LEO should you encounter police as each state is different.

4 Likes

Hey @MikeBKY MikeBKY

I am a new gun owner in Louisville. I have been trying to learn what I can and can’t do here in KY. Where I am getting confused is the terminology of the “factory built storage compartments” part. The way I understand my rights, I can drive with my gun on hip (I conceal carry; not open). Why is the law mentioning these compartments at all? I’m sorry if this seems like a basic/dumb question, but I want to make sure that I am OK to drive with my gun on my hip. Thanks.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Brian204! Prior to enactment of KRS 237.109, commonly known as Constitutional Carry, only law enforcement and persons issued a license to carry a concealed deadly weapon under KRS 237.110. KRS 527.020(8) predates both KRS 237.109 in 2019 and KRS 237.110 in 1996. So, even before concealed carry licenses and Constitutional Carry, people could carry deadly weapons in their vehicles in any factory installed storage space or compartment, including the glove box, center consoles, trunks, door pockets and seat back pockets.

Yes, as long as you can legally possess a handgun under state and federal law and are 21 years old, you can carry any firearm concealed in the Commonwealth, subject to the restrictions in KRS 237.110(16).

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/law/statutes/statute.aspx?id=47039

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/law/statutes/statute.aspx?id=48602

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and god bless you.