Traveling with Michigan CPL

I’ll be traveling through OH, KY, and TN and plan to be carry using my Michigan CPL for the basis of it. It is my understanding that all three states honor the Michigan CPL. I also plan on carrying in the Smokey’s while hiking the trials.

Anyone any tips or gotcha’s that might not be obvious. I am aware about the normal restrictions on Federal Buildings…

Thanks

1 Like

Have you checked the reciprocity map?

2 Likes

When I took a road trip I put together a spread sheet for each state with key points for each state; duty to inform, rest stops, state park restrictions, etc… As I went from state to state I reviewed each set of requirements to refresh myself. This was based on the reciprocity map and state regs.

3 Likes

Nothing to add, sounds like you did your homework. Enjoy your trip. :us:

2 Likes

Have fun on your trip. Safe travels.

A little article on carrying in the Smoky Mountains. Generally it is ok if you have your permit, but there are some buildings where it is not permitted - but you probably already knew that.

1 Like

Check the carry laws for each state. I’m headed to Ohio, from Illinois in the near future. I’m familiar with Indiana, but, had to lol up Ohio. You’ll need to check on things like duty to inform, and if “No Gun” signs carry the weight of law.

1 Like

Kentucky and Tennessee are both constitutional carry states. Keep in mind that Ohio is a duty to inform state if you are approached by police. As others have said, check the reciprocity map.

1 Like

Here’s something that most people don’t realize when traveling with a firearm. The State you are in may be reciprocal with your State permit, HOWEVER…if there are Indian reservations you are traveling through or visiting, in most cases they are sovereign and have their own rules concerning firearms. Better check before you travel Pale Face!!!

Thank you all. Thank you MikeBKY. You confirmed what I was read and now I interpreted it correctly. Takes a of the stress off. I have called the hotels I am staying and spoke with the managers. I was happy to hear they follow state law and they do not restrict carry in the hotel or having the firearms in your room.

I am also doing the spreadsheet as Paul008 suggested as a quick reference.

2 Likes

I’m glad you checked with hotels. The one anomaly in TN is that properly posted no weapons signs have the force of law and can get you in trouble.

1 Like

Keep in mind that if you ever do the trip again in the future, you’ll have to check everything all over again. What’s true today may not be accurate six months from now. Safe travels

1 Like