Clothing and Gear ramifications

Something occurred to me while I was shopping at the USCCA store. I was looking to buy some of the T-shirts and a question came to mind. “What if I was wearing this shirt and was forced to defend myself?” Would that reflect negatively on my case if I were prosecuted? Shirts like “GOD GUTS & GUNS”, “THE 2ND PROTECTS THE 1ST”, “FAITH FAMILY AND FIREARMS”, etc. Maybe a question for one of our attorneys? I was just curious to know how a mug shot of you wearing a shirt like that would play out in front of a jury.

6 Likes

I’d say… it depends on where you live and where you work.
Until your t-shirt doesn’t say “KILL 'EM ALL” you should be good.

10 Likes

I live in MS and pretty sure it wouldn’t come into play here or would be minimal but I was thinking about if I were travelling or someone who lives in a less gun friendly state/community.

6 Likes

It does seem ironic, promoting the gray man philosophy while selling what you mention…
I got their “responsibly armed” t shirt when I renewed a few years back. Nice shirt, but far from making the wearer a gray man.

7 Likes

Keep in mind lawyers only need to create a “doubt” in the minds of a juror or maybe all of them. Whether it is factual or not makes no difference. I’ve worn many shirts over the years that tout my support of 2A and so on but I am more cautious now on what kind of wording or graphics I will wear for all to see. For this very reason alone we are discussing on here. The old one “Kill em all and let God sort them out” is likely one I won’t wear. I have seen t-shirts out here that I think do us absolutely no good whatsoever but it is the right of the person to wear them. I just disagree at some I see.

7 Likes

As a rule, I don’t wear anything like what the OP mentioned. I also don’t sticker my home or vehicles with anything. I try to blend in and be the “Grey Man” in society. In public, I try to look like everyone else while looking at everyone else (condition Yellow).

I don’t draw attention to myself. We live in those times now sadly.

15 Likes

I only wear those type of clothing, shirts, hats, etc. When I’m at the range or where the places are firearm related.

6 Likes

I’m not going to be wearing a Punisher logo–that’s asking for trouble.
I"m with Frank; I think it’s safer to look more grey and think/see more yellow.

5 Likes

I believe what you wear can be used against you in court. It’s ok to wear those types of t-shirts when you go to the range and doing something firearms related. Advertising can get you in trouble. Jurors in a court room can look at it as antagonistic to others and they may go against you in a self defense situation even if it’s a good shoot. I say be cognizant of what you wear while out in the world carrying a firearm.

7 Likes

Personally, from one bubblehead to another, an American flag on your t-shirt at the time of your mug shot is a surefire way to get any prosecutor and jury to find you guilty!
We have become the proverbial “ham sandwich”.
Beware of your bumper stickers as well!
Unfortunately, anything we wear that depicts Honor, God, Country, Bravery, Military service and family (not necessarily in that order) are prosecutable offenses!
Until the pendulum swings, stick to mini mouse and unicorns.
Just to be on the safe side, I wear a “build back better” footsie and t-shirt ensemble with a color coordinated face mask to bed.
100% of all home invasions happen at home! Always be prepared.
Pride equals culpability.
While traveling or in the public eye, it’s the gray man all the way. As you know “our” philosophy is “Run silent, Run deep”, stealth and discretion!
Don’t misunderstand, I love all the shirts, we just don’t live in a free country anymore!
As Massad Ayoob once described, even the name of the weapon or ammo you used in a self defense case can be used against you.

9 Likes

Welcome brother! and you are correct. What boat?

2 Likes

I’d go so far as to say be mindful all the time. Anyone can become a victim at any time. It’s gonna be a while before free speech doesn’t have any ramifications.

4 Likes

Patrick Henry and the “crash proof” Jacksonville

2 Likes

Personally worked on the Patrick Henry while stationed in Holy Loch. Twasn’t a Bubblehead, just a Hull Tech (Tender Puke).

4 Likes

:joy:. Love it!!! Great planning.

3 Likes

“Slammin’” Sam Rayburn and the Henry Clay here. Both boomers. Did all my patrols out of Holy Loch Scotland. I am a blue nose. Thank you for your service. “Take me down, take me deep! Make those f**king frame bays squeak!”

2 Likes

Which tender? Holland?

1 Like

Simon Lake both in Kings Bay and at Holy Loch. The Henry may have been alongside of us in Kings Bay. I cannot remember. That was 30+ years ago!

2 Likes

We brought the Rayburn straight to the yards in Charleston, SC but we did pull into King’s Bay with the Clay before we went to Charleston to be decommed. I think it was the Simon Lake we pulled up to. There was nothing but a swamp and a tender there at that time. That was in 1988!

2 Likes

I was there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes