Gun advertising- liability or deterrent?

Privately I’ve been asked if low-key firearms “advertising” - such as window clings, bumper stickers, t-shirts - is a deterrent in the current situation.

Do people now see those subtle things as a positive now - or does it make you a target?

I’m not talking about the blatant “better to be judged by 12 than carried by six”. “Shoot until they’re dead” type things. We’re talking about wearing a responsibly armed American or Sig Sauer t-shirt or bumper sticker.

Is “soft” gun advertising a deterrent or liability?

10 Likes

I’d like to say it can be both. A deterrent to some and a liability in other cases.

10 Likes

Dawn, great question.
Quite recently I took the Sig bumper sticker off. I have heard stories of people gun advertising and reporting to the police that the vehicle occupant brandished a gun. That is an impossible ‘he said, she said’ situation I have no desire to be a part of. But more importantly, I think that the benefits of being a ‘grey man’–unobtrusive–usually outweigh the value of ‘advertising’.
That said, in our current state, I’m going to regularly be wearing gun shirts, etc.–I think there might be a need to help bad guys pick a less likely target.
The business I work with for CCW instruction makes yard signs that say “Occupants trained by Armed2Defend”. One way of letting the looters know to move on.

11 Likes

The only sticker I have on my truck is USCCA. That seems to be quite vanilla. I have had people ask me what it meant. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Great topic and thank you for the chance to share my thoughts @Dawn!

With those friends above wise statements, I’ll have to agree that you make yourself open to not only criminals who do their homework but by silencing something so much is in my opinion an attack on my freedom of speech.

Now, I personally don’t have NRA stickers all over my car but nor am I member. Like the USCCA stickers are PERFECT lol but like the shirt from you guys, I’ve had both negative and positive responses to that and especially that to promotion of USCCA.

I never have made a dime officially of selling our love around Louisiana but do want to believe my advertisements rarely with my affiliate info on them made some sale or at least word of mouth to another who did.

Point is WE CAN’T censor certain things all the times, and this is generally speaking but there is a time for everything as well and going to Circle K at 1 am with a gun on your side [open] 700 NRA stickers on your truck, and American Grit shirt is deff. asking for attention and don’t mean just those who have ‘criminal intent’ but legal intent.

4 Likes

One too many idiots in the world that like to give false reports or just believe whatever bs their friends told them. I don’t get it, but what I do know is such a thing is technically sociopaths behavior when done to fellow Americans. People not supposed to see fellow Americans as an enemy, the fact so many do and only understand from their own dispositions, suggest that sociopathic tendencies are on the rise and I partially blame social media for this.

4 Likes

I don’t think “piercing by Glock” or “Assault Life”, or any other bumper stickers that represent gun ownership is a deterrent.
A .50 caliber belt fed machine gun mounted on my sunroof, that’s a deterrent! I am a proud American and free gun owner and ex submariner, stealth was my business.
If this country all stood for the rights we are afforded in the constitution I would proudly display decals that represent USCCA and NRA affiliations on my car. I feel any sticker that represents gun ownership today makes me a target.
Surprise is the best tactical advantage we have and the only advantage we have against any situation.

12 Likes

Kage, I agree with you–it’s really a crappy way to deal with other people, but it does happen. And while I make it a habit to not drive aggressively, if someone were to make a 911 call and make a false claim like that, and I get pulled over–yes, I have at least one firearm, knives, pepper spray–you name it–in the vehicle.
If I was the cop, I would have trouble sorting it out. I am concerned that it would be an opportunity for arrest/seizure–something I want to avoid.

8 Likes

I agree, especially now with the “Red Flag Law” , I am now going to be a traveling billboard or wear T-shirts that makes me a target.

3 Likes

No bumper stickers, I rarely wear “gun” T-shirts or other advertising stuff. If I am out in public and something goes down I don’t want to stand out and be the first guy shot.

4 Likes

I have a small “My son is a Marine” sticker with the EGA on it and a “Supporting Heroes” sticker on my car. My license plate is “HR 218” which is a reference to the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act of 2004 which allows LEOs to carry nationwide. Not many know what it means other than LEOs. I do not have any gun specific on my car.
Personally, I believe they are equally a liability and a deterrent. They may make someone avoid you because they believe you have a gun. At the same time, we have had police cars broken into because there is a good chance there are guns in them. (Many police have take home cars in Louisville.) If they are brazen enough to break into a police car, your car is not any safer, especially if you are advertising.

9 Likes

I don’t advertise on my car that I am a 2A proponent because I see it as an invitation to a certain type of person that my car may be worth their trouble, possibly to score desirable goods. Neither do I have any notices about arms posted at home to give away my game. It’s my business, alone.

4 Likes

It can be both but I lean more toward liability. I try not to “out” much of anything about myself to the public around me. I may wear some Pro 2A shirts (like the few I have from the FPC) but that’s once or twice a week. I put no stickers on my SUV. I want to be & go unnoticed in public. Should the need arise (& I pray it doesn’t), that wicked man will know that we “like short sleeves, bear arms.” *

• Quote from Jay-Z song “Brooklyn’s Finest” :fire:
    :v:t5:
4 Likes

I have a Manila folder full of various stickers from firearms and aftermarket companies. They are there and not on my jeep because I agree with both points
I want to be a tactical surprise and I do not want to inform the worthless that there are firearms in the truck or home

4 Likes

I only have one sticker on my car. When people are “in the know” I make a new friend. If someone asks what it stands for I say “I don’t know. It was on the car when I bought it and I like the colors”. Lol.

9 Likes

The only sticker I have on my vehicle is my alumni sticker, but I’m in the heart of SEC country and that’s kinda a given in my area, and kind of a deterrent in itself…:joy::rofl:

But in all seriousness I wouldn’t go with gun related stickers even if it was something I wanted to do. I don’t personally have a problem with it, it’s just not my thing. However I will wear my Magpul hat occasionally and some shirts branded with various gun companies, holster/gear companies etc. all of these are fairly low key without pics of guns or ammo and no slogans that could be considered “aggressive.” In my experience people either have no clue what it means or compliment it and start a conversation.

3 Likes

UH OH!

You better know it. TRUE STORY[2012], was going with buddy to watch my LSU Tigers play the Arkansas Razorbacks…We had our LSU sticker on back and some crazed extremist Razorback fan tried to run is off road for sticker.

3 Likes

BUT you better believe I rock USCCA like a rich-man does Armony[Can’r spell today] sute

4 Likes

I normally don’t advertise anything on my car, but I am considering changing that. I am reaching an (obvious) age, where I could be considered an easy target. Does that change this equation?

4 Likes

While I’m not a fan of advertising, I saw this out in Sheridan last fall. Loved it. wyoming

6 Likes