CCW badge?

Through many hours of training, repetition of all training, with all the fundamentals of a firearm, and worry of falseness and lies. Please note that that badge is false.
The companies that drag people through their incomplete training, misled people.
The USCCA training is a great place to start on a grand path and believe that if you give USCCA and research, a chance. You will see why. I want you to stay out of prison or worse. You can get better training out of a cereal box, but please give our USCCA or a company that is equal in making sure your prepared. The companies that try to make you believe that their training and that BADGE is going to give you a protective shield that will defend you is FALSE.

2 Likes

A badge implies law enforcement. :frowning:

7 Likes

Not necessarily. PI’s and and both Gov’t and Private Security wear badges as well ,.

The problem is with perception. At a distance no one can see if the badge says “Mickey Mouse Club” or bears a state or federal LEO seal.

Such badges are almost always guaranteed to rub LEO’s the wrong way so with all that being the case and so much working against you if you choose to get and wear one to me it’s not worth it.

5 Likes

I ran a PI company for over a decade and never had a badge. Most of my security officers have cloth badges sewn on their uniform shirts, very few use metal badges—only when our clients request it, which is rare.

4 Likes

It can vary from state to state. Most of the companies I worked with over the years required and issued a physical badge.

In some states if you are providing armed security the officers have to be commissioned by the state and may either be issued a state issued badge or are required to wear one meeting very specific state badges.

I’ve been out of that racket for a while so I’m not sure what has changed but I worked in Texas, NM, and OK as well as at a federal facility.

I have also noticed that in some jurisdictions police are being issued official department wear with a silk screened or embroidered badge but the officers still carry a physical badge and credentials.

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly what you are referring to, but it seems any form of easily identifiable regalia that show you are legally permitted to carry could be duplicated fairly easily. That could lead to officers not knowing if you have a legal right to that identification or if it is counterfeit.
Sounds dangerous to me.

1 Like

@Marshall I agree
 I think it would feel like way overstepping my bounds.
Welcome to the community!

1 Like

So can LEO badges and driver’s licenses.

If you’re found in possession of a forged or altered gov’t issued ID of any kind it is a crime. To use on in the commission of a felony usually opens you up to additional felony charges as well.

IS it more or less likely that you would be misidentified as a bad guy by arriving officers if you had such an item they could easily see and recognize when they arrive on the scene particularly in the case of an active shooter scene where you are still trying to stop the bad guy?

Me? I want every advantage that might save my life and the lives of arriving officers.

1 Like

Bad guys would quickly replicate any sort of identification that would be used to indicate that someone is the “good guy”.

2 Likes

The key word in concealed carry is CONCEALED! Why would you want to put yourself at risk by advertising you’re carrying concealed. You’re not carrying, or shouldn’t be, to protect the public, you’re carrying to protect yourself and your family.

If you’re carrying to protect the public, you’re doing it for the wrong reasons, you’ve now become a vigilante.

A badge subjects you to misidentification as a law enforcement officer, all it takes it one person to claim you identified yourself as such and now your battling felony impersonation. I don’t want to hear the security officers have badges defense, they’re uniformed, not walking the streets as a member of the public.

If you haven’t take the Concealed Carry and Home Defense online class, head to your dashboard and take it now.

3 Likes

Sounds logical but then just like law enforcement badges you make the penalty for unlawfully possession and/or display high enough to be a deterrent.

Please address my question.

Is it more or less likely that you would be misidentified as a bad guy by arriving officers if you had such an item they could easily see and recognize when they arrive, particularly in the case of an active shooter scene where you are still trying to stop the bad guy?

1 Like

Well not really. We can lawfully use force to protect third parties in every state, even deadly force.

Again, my suggestion is that whatever the item is it should be easily be identifiable by police, but not resemble an LEO badge in any way to avoid confusion/abuse.

That may be true, but unless you’re 100% certain who the aggressor and defender is, it’s best to be a good witness.

1 Like

No question about that and 3rd party self defense can be a real can of worms where even if you are perfectly lawful in getting involved you can end up on the wrong end of both the criminal and civil cases that follow.

Cops have qualified immunity, we don’t so as always, understand the laws of your state and use your best judgement.

Where I see some form of ID being helpful is in an active shooter/mass shooter event where you’re left with little or no choice such as a bank robbery, armed robbery at a convenience store, mall, grocery, WalMart etc where you’d likely be in a defensive position with your gun drawn just in case, where you have already confronted a bad guy and be holding that position because there were multiple actors involved.

ISIS for example is encouraging it’s followers world wide to engage in such shootings to cause as much chaos as possible in the western world, gangs will often work in groups of 3-5 in robberies etc so you could easily be engaged or in a defensive posture with a gun out when police arrive.

Personally if I’m in danger I’m not going to disarm when police arrive if it’s going to put me in even greater jeopardy so I’d like to be sure they can distinguish between me and the bad actors.

1 Like

Ok, I don’t have one of these CCW badges. The last time I carried in California I had a regular badge.

However, I have a friend in California who has a permit and his issuing agency advised that he carry a CCW badge, which he does. The reasoning is that licensed carriers are rare in California and it helps prevent “nervous nellie” calls to the police.

That being said, I would never carry one. For one thing, my current license is from Utah (I know I have mentioned Kansas in the past, suffice to say, I seem to travel a lot). When in the Utah class a point was made that they are not legal in Utah. So, no; I do not have one, but I know someone who does and I do not judge him poorly for it.

4 Likes

@Hasaf the LEOs I know would laugh at anyone carrying a CCW badge.

A quick google search makes it even more laughable based on the people from Etsy to eBay sellers. I guarantee they aren’t verifying the person ordering is a legit permit holder.

ccw badge - Google Search

1 Like

There are even more sources making fake LEO badges.

This is why I wish each state would come up with something of their own and issue it with the carry permit.

1 Like

There’s already the death penalty in a lot of states for murder, but criminals still murder. Penalties are not a deterrent for those who want to hurt another person or are committing crimes. The only people laws and penalties deter are those who are already law abiding.

I believe I did answer your question, @Wildrose. Criminals would quickly replicate any sort of identification that someone would have to indicate they are a “good guy”.

In an active shooter situation, the entire situation will need to be shut down and ended as quickly a possible. If you are involved in one and the police arrive, you’ll need to cooperate with them. Lack of cooperation is a red flag to the police.

1 Like

I can understand holding the badges in disdain in many areas. As I said, for many of the reasons mentioned here, I don’t have one. At the same time, I can understand why my friend was advised to have one. It isn’t what I would do, But I can understand that some do.

I am busy at the moment. So I cannot look up the incidents to cite this, but I am anecdotally aware of cases of criminal groups wearing PD “assault” gear to create confusion during their gang attacks. Yes, that is already illegal.

Would something similar ever happen with an official CCW badge? The word “ever” covers a lot, so I will say yes. The real question is, similar to the question regarding civilian firearms ownership, would the benefit outweigh the cost? I know of no, and in that I mean zero, studies on the issue of CCW badges.

Like my previous badge, if an agency issued it, I would have it on my belt, like I did for several years. However, unless it is issued, or at least recommended (as in my friends case) I would still say “no.” However, unlike others on the issue, I remain open to new information.

2 Likes

This was a great question/experiment to bring up for discussion, I’ve learned a lot :call_me_hand::sunglasses::peace_symbol:

3 Likes