Carrying AR-15 mags

I’m thinking about getting a rig for a shtf scenario. I need a way to carry some AR Mags, BUT I’m not committed enough to pay hundreds of dollars for a plate carrier set up. I do have a KORE tactical belt that is rated for up to 11ibs.

I was considering ordering one of these (I think it’s very practical for me) Mako Polymer Magazine Pouch with Belt Paddle for 5.56mm Magazines https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004O6CBSA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YxwOFbKXH804Z

But I also ran into this
SOG Responder Bag, 11.5-Liter Storage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XPV4C7S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AywOFbWP8SXPE

I know there’s also people who just preach using your pockets :man_shrugging:t2:.

Any thoughts?

It’s not practical for me to buy a helmet, body armor, night vision etc… (if I had the excess money I’d have already done it :joy:).

1 Like

I just bought a chest rig that has four mag pouches that will carry 2 ea. AR mags in each pouch. It is a Blackhawk chest mag carrier for $56, I also have three over the shoulder mag carriers One of them will carry 6 each AK mags. The other two have three pouches, that will carry 6 AR mags.

3 Likes

@Scoutbob did you get my edit. to the above

2 Likes

I have a plate carrier but when weight and mobility matter I use a micro chest rig. Very adjustable and have just enough room for essentials. You can’t really over pack them, not enough real-estate

5 Likes

@Scoutbob So that begs the next question, what all are you looking to carry? IFAC, Pistol, Pistol mags, Knife? :thinking:

4 Likes

My Blackhawk just has the four mag holders and a spare pouch (4"w x6"d x2’ thick)

2 Likes

Don’t need much more than that. Use the pouch for some stop the bleeding first aid equipment and you’re good to go.

3 Likes

As of right now, AR mags, maybe som basic first aid, but as of right now, mags are my only concern.

I have a carry belt I can already throw my normal edc stuff (OWB full-size handgun, knife, spare handgun mags).

5 Likes

Then I would just go with the Mag holders, They look like they would do the job. :+1:

6 Likes

Here is something else that I do when I buy a new hand gun. I also buy up to 6 mags for that hand gun. Oh! I also do this with long guns, even if it is only a three round mag/clip. Remember it only takes 2.6 seconds to change a mag out with practice. Also you DO NOT buy one box of ammo at a time.

2 Likes

@Scoutbob

5 Likes

That looks good also if you already have a vest or just use a “GOOD” belt

2 Likes

Y’all have any opinions on Mag Couplers?

2 Likes

I’m sure they have their place, I’m just not sure where. :thinking:

2 Likes

I kinda wonder if they could create a bad habit of not dropping empty mags during reloads but idk :man_shrugging:t2:.

2 Likes

@Scoutbob
I highly recommend carrying a grenade launcher and LAW. Claymore mines are great for securing the perimeter of a fighting position.

8 Likes

I’ll let someone else carry the explosives :rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

3 Likes

@mdstanzel You forgot to remind them, if you can read FRONT TOWARD ENEMIE you are in deep :poop:!

@Scoutbob They make your AR 15 a bit heavier, you may get dirt in the mag and or knock the boolets out.
You can get Mag Covers for them but that will cut down on your time to reload which is the point, or forget and try to jam it in the mag well. :scream: :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

More dependable but pricey:

If you are dumping more than 60 rds. in self-defense situation you must be living in the southside of Chicago.

5 Likes

@Scoutbob the “Bump in the night belt, do you have one?” thread is also pretty useful and sounds like there is some overlap with what you want to do. If SHTF you just don your Bump In The Night Belt (BITNB) and off you go. Presumably you will have trained with it, so all the stuff is where you remember, and it should be pretty minimalist.

I’m sure there’s a use-case for mag couplers, I think if you “know” you are about to get into a firefight having an extra mag right there for use that is maybe a little faster reload? I personally would rather just have spare mags on my person than having the weight on the rifle. If I really want a lot of ammo without a reload I think I’d go with @Jeff-A1’s PMAG drum.

3 Likes