Carrying AR-15 mags

I have two of the X15-HXP 50 round drums along with other extended mags

3 Likes

The AR is three things for me. #1 it’s a hobby/ toy that I like to buy cool stuff for. #2 it’s for a bad fight I know is coming (shtf). #3 it’s my God give right to own it, and I want to exercise that right.

For bump in the night, I’m going for my M&P 5” from the quick access safe, throwing on a small bag with 3 spare mags and a flashlight, pulling everybody into the bedroom, and waiting in the bedroom until help arrives. The AR would be the better tool, BUT taking into consideration being in a small house and needing to be quick, having a little one (easier to lock up loaded handgun), and being more familiar with handguns, my go to would be the handgun. If I was in a big house, and I didn’t have little ones, my AR would probably be my go to.

My reason for this post is I just realized that if, for whatever improbable/ rediculous reason I needed to grab the AR (which also feels closer everyday this year :joy:) I’d have no way to hold reloads except for my pockets. If I used a coupler and had a mag on my carry belt, that gives me 58 extra rounds. My other reason is because I wanted a fun conversation on the forum :joy:.

3 Likes

I’d like to buy one of those, it’s just for the price I’d rather put it twards another gun :joy::rofl:. I also think the 30 rds are the perfect balance of capacity, weight, and functionality.

4 Likes

@Scoutbob I agree with you. I will stick with 30 rd. mags. Adequate for home defense. If not, would switch to 25 rd. M5 mags.

3 Likes

You can make anything out of duck tape :wink:

5 Likes

I will be on the market soon when I purchase my first AR15. I have looked at some vest carriers which I liked.

5 Likes

I had 2 magazines coupled together then switched to one in a pouch on the stock. The coupled mags work and I think it’s a good solution for a scenario where you’re caught off guard and need a rifle. I just couldn’t get over the awkwardness of 2 magazines

2 Likes

Is that a special stock that holds an extra mag?

1 Like

Fab defense does make a stock that holds a magazine. However I just use a single mag pouch. It mounts horizontally on the the stock. Lots of options out there.

2 Likes

Remember if you decide to go with a strap on thigh rig of any nature for any purpose that it uses 2.5X the energy to carry than ANYTHING strapped to your torso.

With that being said if I were in the market for a budget vest or plate carrier I’d check out the stuff at an Air Soft store. My youngest was into Air Soft and some of that gear was VERY good for dimes on the dollar for operator gear. MOLLE is your friend but just like a backpack you can get heavy FAST. Blackhawk used to make a slimmed down chest harness / plate carrier that I have worn for rifle competitions with no plates. Somewhere I still have a full set of Mil issue gear with plates and it probably still has all the magazines loaded, someday I should figure out where it is.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Can you expand on this? Where is the best place to carry weight?

3 Likes

@Harvey it’s all physics combined with physiology. To add load to a moving part (leg, thigh, arm etc) requires more energy than to add it to a static part (torso, hips, chest, back) roughly 2.5X on the thigh and 7+X bellow the knee. Some egg head somewhere did all the math and those were the relative numbers. In other words the if you were to carry 5 lbs of mags on a thigh rig you could carry 12.5 lbs on your torso for the same amount of energy used. Obviously there are limits to what you can carry in total or effectively. I can carry a 250 lb man but not very fast and not very far, conversely I barley notice 25 lbs. I got very used to thigh rigs and still use them but they carry JUST the gun.

The best place to carry weight is on your back, next is your chest and last is your hips. Mix the three together and you can haul a lot of stuff.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

This option is cheap since ACU is no longer cool & only cost a buck maybe 2 hold 6 mags & or you could always put a blowout kit in one of the pockets

Here is another option but it will cost a little more Lol
good Luck Mike

5 Likes

If there is an optional suspender-type harness you can add to your battle belt, get that and 2 M16 mag pouches. They hold 2 ea x 30 rd mags and are best attached centered over the front side of belt where the suspenders attach to the belt for best load balance and comfort. Make sure the pouches have secure flaps (best) or bungee retainers over open tops (acceptable). This gives you 4 additional mags to the 1 in the rifle, or 100 to 150 rds on your person. You can stick 1 more mag in each leg pocket on a pair of good cargo pants and strap them down with blousing rubbers or similar to keep them from sliding around if you feel the need for the extra 40-60 rds. That would bring your load to a standard 6 spare mag military load.

You may find neighbors/relatives/friends or military surplus stores who have this stuff you could acquire very reasonably. This config served a whole bunch of us very well for half a century or so, and it is highly proven in combat. Blackhawk and Condor make very reasonably priced chest rigs. The advantage of the LBE harness (suspender type) is that it is quicker to get on/off and allows your body to shed heat via evaporative cooling more efficiently than a vest or plate carrier does. This gets to be a life and death issue PDQ in a hot and humid area of operations.

3 Likes

Yeah night vision is cheaper than it used to be. But still expensive for avg folks though.

2 Likes

The digital thermal/IR stuff on the consumer market the past several years is now what I’d call useful for civil self-defense purposes up to and including night watch during civil disorder. It’s mostly made with predator/varmint hunting in mind and works very well for that. Not a big tactical leap from there to an armed neighborhood watch or overwatch picket duty in a rural environment.

2 Likes

We have a neighbor hood watch like you speak of. All of us press each other to know the laws. And try to be smart about carry

2 Likes

Wow that is good stuff brother @Michael792 .

I want that second option.

1 Like

I’ve decided to stick with my pockets for now. My moneys going twards diapers and ammo :joy:.

2 Likes