Carrying AR-15 mags

I dreamed I was wearing webgear last night. It was strange.

3 Likes

I had been looking at maybe getting/setting up a “battle belt” of some kind for a bump in the night (there is another thread round here that gave me the idea). Something you can throw on quickly when you wake up you dont have pants on let alone a belt to clip a holster, spare mag, med kit, etc.

One of those old LBEs might be just the ticket. Good call, thanks for the idea :+1:

3 Likes

We have battle belts, chest rigs, and assault packs. Each is for different scenarios/purposes. Your point about 1 of the main reasons for a battle belt as a civilian is very legit. I call them Batman Belts just to lighten up the mood. 1 small utility pouch, holster, straight knife, flashlight, TQ/trauma kit, 2 spare mags. Military or LE duty belt. Pick it up and put it around your waist, click the buckle, drop pistol in holster (or carry in hand…depends) , go to work. Quick and easy! Chest rigs support the long guns and beef up comms, 1st aid, navigation. I can put a phone/2 way radio in the small utility pouch on the battle belt if I want comms. That’s why there is an empty pouch on there.

4 Likes

This the exact gear set up I have. It was my new set up I had for inspections back in my Active duty days. Works well for treks in the woods these days. its works as well as the new Molle gear I think.

2 Likes

I have my Butt pack on belt with Entrenching tool on my Alice

2 Likes

On the ACU gear. Never thought the color of the pattern worked well. But if you go get some apple green dye. It really brings this pattern out. Check out Brent 0331 on the tube. His buddy Bruce did this and it looks great

1 Like

Also check out Survivor Metalman on the tube. He dyed some of his ACU gear

1 Like

On the mags, My Surplus guy had case of these. I bought alot of Milsurp. I reconditoned them using the coating Uncle sam does. With Magpul followers and such they work like new

2 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

There’s a long story on the UCP that I won’t bore you with here, but I’ve found it can work if you get it dirty. Get out in the mud and make it match your soil. The concept of “Universal Camouflage” is flawed, but if you adapt it to your surroundings then you can salvage old uniforms.

2 Likes

On this topic of carrying extra magazines, I have to ask what’s the expected scenario?

For example, if I’m expecting a firefight while I’m out on patrol, I’m going to carry a full combat load. I’ll gladly fork over the money for a helmet, a good plate carrier, and put some mag pouches on the front where they’re easily accessible. It’s expensive, but it could save my life.

I don’t expect that, however. If something is so bad that I have to retrieve my rifle from my truck, I have a bandoleer that can hold 6 mags waiting there. I’m going to throw that over my shoulder and pray I don’t need them. Bandoleers and other portable pouches are relatively cheap when compared to full battle rattle.

Most of us, I assume, are not looking for a fight. Many of us have bug-out-bags, though. If you’re talking about a zombie-attack, SHTF scenario, then just keep those mags in/on your BOB. Bugging out implies that you’re trying to avoid the fight, so you’re probably going to stay in your vehicle as long as possible and only engage when escape becomes impossible. By keeping those spare mags with your kit, you ensure you have what you planned to take when you decide to flee.

We’ve talked many times on this forum about how the vast majority of firefights end quickly. Extended firefights are rare, so any planning around multiple magazine changes should be centered around worst case, nightmare scenarios. If you’re on your 6th magazine, you’re having a really, really bad day.

5 Likes

All very true. But needing your 3rd mag when you only had 2 is an even worse day. :peace_symbol: thru superior :gun:

3 Likes

Yup, I’m just trying to figure out the context of the topic. There are a lot of ways to carry magazines, but what are we planning for? With the price of ammunition these days, we need to plan carefully and spend wisely. If I don’t need to buy body armor, I can buy more ammo.

2 Likes

@Ouade5 please don’t get me started on tactical plate carriers, ballistic helmets, and NODs. People just don’t know what they don’t know. But…viva la AR500! :guardsman:

1 Like

The mission should drive the gear :+1:

3 Likes

Yes, yes you are :joy::joy:.

2 Likes