Carry an extra or don't carry an extra mag, that's the question

I am out of town for the week and I have 150 rounds in the box and a 10 a 17 and a 32 round mag with me. OH! and by the way I just ordered two more 9 mm 32 round mags

2 Likes

I do not typically carry an extra mag. My XDm .40 doesnā€™t misfire, jam or malfunction. Perhaps thatā€™s only an issue with Sig or Glockā€¦ :laughing::laughing::laughing: LOL just kiddingā€¦ but itā€™s true. My XDm has had thousands of rounds through it and never once a misfire, jam or malfunction. That being said, I havenā€™t found a comfortable way to carry an extra mag. So, until I find a good way that works for a hefty guy like me, 17 +1 is what Iā€™ve got. I hope that itā€™s enough to stop an immediate threat long enough for me to clear the scene to safety.

4 Likes

I carry a extra mag just in case the first one malfunction and you donā€™t when your gonna need extra rounds

3 Likes

I also carry spare about 50% of time, but have them stashed in all vehicles and trucks, shop, etc. Many rounds in the camp trailer.

3 Likes
 I carry an extra mag on anything I choose to carry that day. If someone, anyone , of any ethnicity or culture decides to incite- demonstrate- provoke with intent- commit the follow through actions of an attack on someone like me minding their own business..., then itā€™s now part of an  EO event. Alls fair in love and war. 
Iā€™ve served in the US Army with all walks of life. The only color is green and the only gender is Soldier. If you have integrity the remaining 6 core values fall into place. 
The US Flag on our sleeves had the same feeling when our nation wins the gold at the Olympics when taking the podium or that flight home. 

I never asked myself ā€œif carrying 2 or mote magazines is wrong. ?ā€ Not when I was issued 7 for a rifle / carbine and no less than 6 for my M-9. Training- qualifying- or otherwise.
Weā€™d all be better off to take care of each other and defend each other as a collective.

3 Likes

1/2 my reply disappeared. Wow

1 Like

I never used to carry an extra magazine. But now that the world seems to have gone bat-$hit crazyā€¦ I do every day.

9 Likes

My SD40VE is a 14+1. Never really thought about getting into a fire fight. To me if God for bid I have to use it. I would think the most likely scenario would be an immediate threat they may only take one or two to take care of. I donā€™t think of getting into a firefight is really highly likely, but I guess you never know.

2 Likes

I am actually one of themā€¦at times. When I have meetings where my outfit is more business Casual and I canā€™t wear a jacket, I canā€™t hide extra mags well. I already have an unexplained belt clip that holds my pistolā€¦adding another on the other side draws too much attention as Iā€™ve found since people asked what the clips were for when I did carry extra mags in a shirt and slacks. One doesnā€™t draw attention, 2 or more does I find. I usually keep the mags in my laptop bag if I can or vehicleā€¦but yeah, I do at times only carry a pistol, but I also live in an area where everyone hates me and what I stand for so I work VERY hard to blend in and NOT draw attention to myself.

4 Likes

Thereā€™s always an exception to every rule. Butā€¦Iā€™ve carried a spare in an ankle rig before. In situations like you describe, I often carry a spare or two in my briefcase/computer bag, along with a first aid kit w/TQ. I consider that carrying spare mags. If I have a reasonable expectation of fighting my way to them in a pinch, then they are with me.

2 Likes

You carry a spare mag CC for the same reason you carry a spare tire in your vehicle. Because you can never predict when you might need it. I always carry a spare mag with my Glocks and depending on where Iā€™m bound, sometimes two speed loaders for my .5 rnd .38.
The question I ponder is whether and how to carry a flashlight. Being of robust frame fanny packs are out on general principle. However, I have to admit Iā€™m looking differently at the ā€œmurseā€ (man purse) aka messenger bag option.
As for a knifeā€¦ Gibbs rule #9.

4 Likes

Being a vet I always carry an extra.
Rather have and not need it.

3 Likes

Just giving the facts of the matter. If was 10 antifa white boys I would of said white boys in the same fashion.

1 Like

I carry a extra mag just because of what if.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and god bless you.

2 Likes

I have a S&W M&P 17 rds I carry 2 extra mags. I plan on making it home

3 Likes

I also carry extra magazines just in case something goes wrong.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and you are at the right place at the right time.

2 Likes

Thank you glad to be apart of this fantastic group of people.

4 Likes

Itā€™s not a spare until you get to the 5th oneā€¦!!!

3 Likes