How many magazines.Are too many. To carry on your person.?

I carry one in my edc. And two more on my belt .!! How many is to many . ? or is to many . :question:NO SUCH THING :question::us:

4 Likes

Not from my experience, but what I learned from two experts:

1. Top trainer in the country Tom Givens (RangeMaster) says carry one or two spares in case of a malfunction.
  2. High level trainer John Correia (Active Self Protection) who has analyzed over 50,000 videos of real life self defense events says he has never seen a private individual use a a spare magazine, although law enforcement officer need to do so regularly.

I choose not to carry a spare, out of convenience and clothing choices.

12 Likes

I would agree not carrying a spear magzine. But, since I live in a state that has magazine restrictions “10 rounds” and I EDC .45 1911 full size-I carry 1 spear 10 round and leave one in my vehicle.
In my opinion: it will be the sate law and what you are carrying that will determine to carry a spear. A state that has no magazine restrict I can carry 18 rounds, I would not carry a spear.

6 Likes

I think I know what you mean, but I have only seen as big as a 16 round magazine for a 1911 in 45ACP Remington 1911 R1 .45 ACP 16-Round Blued Steel Magazine (gunmagwarehouse.com).

I think you meant you would carry a different EDC?

4 Likes

My goal is to come home with what I left with but if need be I carry one extra.

8 Likes

Yes my Staccato lol …sorry

7 Likes

I LIVE IN TEXAS AND WE ARE SENDING YOU ALL AS MANY INVADERS AS WE CAN AS FAST AS WE CAN GET READY THERE COMMING BECAUSE TEXAS IS SENDING THEM TO YOU AND THEY ARE CRIMINALS AND YOUR NOT EVEN GOING TO BELIEVE WHAT HAS HAPPENED GOOD LUCK :four_leaf_clover: :four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::100::feather::feather::us::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::+1: YOU JUST CAN NOT UNDERSTAND YOUR ALL GOING TO SOONER THAN LATER I TRULY TRYED TO WARN YOU ALL AND I GET BACK BULL CRAP. LOVE YA YOU WILL UNDERSTAND answering the question

2 Likes

One mag in the pistol. I hardly ever carry spare mag on me. It’s sitting in my car. All depends where I am or where I’m going to be.

5 Likes

Too many? Perhaps when you can’t conceal them anymore. :laughing: Seriously though, for me it depends on what the capacity of the EDC is. If carrying a single stack, 7 round, then I’d carry at least one spare. If carrying a 15 round, then I may not carry a spare at all (but most likely will). Practicality and fit, as well as odds of actually needing a spare, and being able to actually use one, in a self defense situation plays into decision as well. If you carry spares, practicing reloading is paramount to successfully being able to use one under stress. Now, having said all that…I feel the same way about spares as I do about the weapon itself. Better to have one and not need it than needing it and not having it.

5 Likes

That point 2 is the huge one for me. I’ve been watching these things for a very long time myself and have still never seen a single use. John putting a number on it as 0 out of 50,000 speaks volumes as well.

It just…it doesn’t happen.

I know I know, it could. A lot of things could happen. You could accidentally kill yourself with your own carry gun, that has happened. It seems more likely to happen than needing a spare.

Also, for a quality, tested and proven semi auto, with quality tested and proven ammo, and quality tested and proven ammo…in the unlikely event of a malfunction…that malfunction is almost always fixable by a tap-rack. And if not, it’s still almost always fixable by removing and retaining the mag in your off hand, working the slide to clear, and reinserting the same mag.

The odds of needing a spare mag, and having time to use it, seem to be worse than the odds off hitting the Powerball

4 Likes

At some point you can have too many. If you have so many on you that people start noticing and begin wondering if you are a wanna be active murderer that might be too many. If you have so many that you are miserably uncomfortable and or slowed down by all the weight that could be too many as well.

I have to admit that if I’m just making a quick run to the store in my virtually crime free town I occasionally just grab my pocket pistol with its 10+1 or 12+1 capacity and leave the spare at home. I know the likelihood of needing a spare mag is close to zero for the majority of self defense situations civilians get into but I still feel less than fully prepared when doing this.

I feel better with a spare mag because it gives me more options especially in the open country I live and work in where I can easily imagine a situation where I might need to lob some bullets a long ways out to try and dissuade an attacker with a rifle.

If faced with a societal melt down situation I would carry a lot more than one spare. But I feel, in the places I spend most of my time where I am allowed to carry, that one spare gives me a lot of options without weighing me down. Though if I could carry when working in sketchy SoCal I would probably carry two spares on me with several more in the vehicle.

9 Likes

i think its a personal choice, that said i carry one 10 in the hand gun and two 10 spares. in the truck an Ar-15 with 7 30 round mags.

5 Likes

I always carry a spare, but I expect any gunfight I get into will be fought with whatever is in the magazine. I carry extra mag in case of malfunction, anything else is just adding weight.

5 Likes

I carry a spare speed strip or magazine, but that’s really only to be able to reload after, if I’m forced to use my weapon to save my life, and I don’t want to be standing around a dangerous place unarmed while I wait for the police.

7 Likes

I feel that, minus an all out invasion, if I can’t get myself out of any situation with 12+1 or 14+1 and my 5 round pocket pistol then I need to just carry a knife.

4 Likes

As my instructor said (a lot!), self-defense is a time problem. Most aggressors want to “hit and split”, and when they realize they’re being actively opposed with force, “split” takes priority.

If you work in, or routinely travel through, what you would consider a “high risk” area, one or maybe two spare mags are justifiable, but don’t expect to use them as anything but weights attached to your body. You simply won’t have time between the first shot and last to swap them in.

6 Likes

IDK. Guess can depend on other factors as well; How many rounds per mag, where we are going to that day. It’s not as comfortable physically - carrying more gear, but offers more “peace of mind” (2 spare mags) on longer trips. To each, his/her own, no right or wrong answer. Good question.

5 Likes

Grate Job Brother love Bobby Jean :feather::feather::tiger2::six::beer::us::us::us::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::six::parachute::statue_of_liberty::toolbox::bangbang:

1 Like

I wonder if I had to do a reload to take down a threat or even multiple threats. Would that mean I am overmatched? Would these threats be wearing body armor? Would these threats be using long rifles?_ Thinking through this question also makes me ask what environment I am in—supermarkets, restaurants, etc.

I feel taking cover if I run dry and evaluate the situation. Suppose i can get my sh%$% together.

6 Likes

For ‘Every day wear’ :laughing: a Versa carry ‘Commando’ leather pancake holster
w/ (1) mag. (17x2= 34 rounds) anymore is overkill (for me)
or Cross Breed Belly band (1) in EDC w/ (1) extra mag)
WORK: a (3) pack holster, or (2) in the Plate Carrier and (1) in the shoulder strap
but then I have my AR w/ (6) in a chest Carrier. THAT should be enough… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes