Bump in the night belt, do you have one?

Are you telling me that you sleep with a revolver in your underwear? That could become an inconvenience and I am not at all sure of the safety, but if you had to draw quickly make sure of the position of the weapon.

Larry

1 Like

I’ve toyed with the idea of a bag/belt as well.

The bag seems easiest, just sling it over your head/shoulders. But I worry about it dangling around and moving/flopping if i need to move around the house (unlikely I would clear my house, but… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ).

The belt seems more secure, but will take an extra moment or two to buckle, and you can likely carry less “stuff” on your belt than a bag (is that a good thing?).

@Hayser @TexasEskimo almost any vest/plate carrier you can just toss over your head. The advantage is obviously you can put armor in it (soft IIIA for anti-pistol, or hard III or IV for anti-rifle) and it would also keep your mags, lights, IFAK, etc handy as well. That seems like a good combination of securely carrying “stuff” and ease of putting on. The cost goes up really fast though. A plate carrier is $50-100+, MOLLE pouches for each of the “things” you carry, and armor (optional) is $100+++++.

3 Likes

Usually not, its commonly beside me on the bed slid into a nylon holster as a cover but I have fallen asleep with it in my band. It’s an NAA mini revolver .22 magnum and the hammer rests on a slot between rounds on the cylinder as its built in safety.

It stays in place well and it’s hard to tell that is actually there comfort wise.

1 Like

So, in the OP, we are assuming that we will pull on a pair of pants? Then don a belt of stuff over that?
Nope, I don’t think I’ll do it that way honestly. I’ll hope up with whatever I wore to bed on, grab a 1 of 3 nearby loaded guns on way to stairs. If I think it is actually serious, at top of stairs I’ll sling the AR 300BLK as well, and start heading slowly down the stairs, but I will yell “someone here?!” very loudly as I start down. If they were sneaking, that will I think move them to get the heck out mode. If they are armed, it will warn them I know they’re here yes, but in my home, I know every square inch, they don’t. I know how to effectively clear the bottom floor alone. If I think there’s actually an intruder, I will be yelling to my wife to call 911, another thing intruders don’t wannna hear. Finally, if I actually encounter an intruder, I’ll light them up, and if they are armed, squeeze the trigger until they go down, that’s to say, until the threat is stopped. I had to edit that cause I didn’t like the way it sounded. Legally speaking, firing until the threat falls out of the front sight is how it should be phrased I supposed. I initially said until “they go down” because that’s simply how I’d phrase it in a casual conversation. This however, is an online forum, so I need to be clear - I would fire until the threat was legally stopped per the laws of my state…
End of my response plan right there, except for dang sure 911 is aware of what happened either when wife called or post-shooting when I call.
There’s too many potential variables for me to have a single response strategy for home invasion, and I’m not interested in taking time to be pulling pants up when they might be headed towards our bedroom door. I’ll take time to aim my pistol, but trousers, well, too bad, not going to take that time if I actually think someone is in here. They gonna get caught and confronted ASAP, and I will not be outgunned regardless.

3 Likes

Actually I don’t have a belt per se. But I do have a cargo pair of shorts with a duty belt threaded and what I consider essential for bumps in the night already affixed. Flashlight 1300 lumens, 2 Kerambits, 2 magazine holder on belt, IFAIK, Glock 41 holster, cell phone charging in pocket, 2 additional mags in pocket.

I can put the shorts on in seconds, cinch belt, and know I have everything I need.

YMMV.

1 Like

My gun is in an open case by my bed and my (believe it or not) fanny pack is right next to it with 2 magazines, my car keys, and a tac light. I’d grab them both and hopefully have time to put it on. I’d use my car alarm first. Hopefully it would scare the prowler. Having a barking indoor dog makes most of these plans useless because any sensible bad guy is going to go nextdoor where there is no dog.

2 Likes

While not a direct answer to the OP here is a second thought. There are a number of user controlled security systems out there. None of them are perfect, ut they can be very useful. One of those is ARLO which has a zero $ monthly fee. Before I put myself in a possible dangerous position wondering around the house I activate live viewing on my cam’s to give me a better sense of what might be or not be ahead. Anyway to my way of thinking any advanced look is a big safety plus. Given a choice I never go in blind.

3 Likes

“…want to be able to set off the vehicle alarms in the driveway. The lights and noise will alert the neighbors and hopefully make the intruder consider a retreat.”

Hadn’t thought of that. Great idea! :+1:

5 Likes

Personal Defense Network recently had an article on just this topic (pretty sure this link is open to the public)

4 Likes

“Bump belt”, lol. No, I don’t have that precisely. I just have your classic war/tactical/battle belt.

I like the concept though, it makes sense. Overkill in dedication perhaps, but it makes sense. I only have one belt system right now, but I plan on building out another one eventually. I will consider this concept, though not exclusively. Resources are limited and life is about choices. A good belt is a couple hundred completed.

1 Like

Not a belt, but an externally worn set of body armor with everything ready to go. Looks ridiculous (skivvies and body armor) but it is fast and complete, and provides some good protection as well.

1 Like

@Howard5. You need to add this to your armor…image

1 Like

Looks like fun…

1 Like