Bump in the night belt, do you have one?

I had not thought about putting together a kit like this, but I really like the idea. A strap vest will make more sense for me, the pockets are already there and it can be put on as quickly as a belt.

One item I would add to the kit which I have not seen mentioned is a extra set of keys and fobs for my trucks. If the "bump’ turns out to be something more than a ‘Trash Panda’ in the garbage cans I want to be able to set off the vehicle alarms in the driveway. The lights and noise will alert the neighbors and hopefully make the intruder consider a retreat.

4 Likes

My “bump in the night” rig is my Glock 17 with a mounted flashlight+laser sight along with my wife dialing 911. I need more.

1 Like

It’s an interesting idea, @Hailey. My biggest suggestion would be to make sure it mimics your daily carry set up as closely as possible. In the middle of the night with adrenaline and little sleep, you want to be able to act as much on muscle memory as possible to get to your firearm in a safe manner.

Having a completely different setup can cause delays. In other words, train for whatever setup you’re using.

7 Likes

Great advice! I’m loving all the comments and feedback, I am glad that I’m not the only one that hasn’t heard of or thought of this, and been given many options to think about from this thread!

3 Likes

Funny you should mention that. I’ve been reevaluating my home defense setup and am creating my “bat utility belt” using an Eberlestock molle waist belt.

1 Like

Interesting idea. I have 3 duty belts and 2 vests, but I never thought about staging one in my house. I usually just want to take them off and put them away.

I’ve been shopping vests, too. I like the organization.

I posted these on another thread. I changed from a belt to a bag for ease of handling. :+1:

5 Likes

Here is the other image.

2 Likes

I have done very little research but I am interested. Are there protective vests that can be “thrown on” quickly and fairly quietly?

Not sure. There are military plate carriers and there are soft body armor vests. I’m not sure how fast you can don them, but the plate carriers have molle webbing and can be outfitted in different ways - different types of mag pouches, holsters and other pouches. I like the organization of the SWAT-style vests, but the ones I’ve seen online don’t appear to have a body armor component. I’ll keep looking.

Here’s a link to one vendor:

https://safelifedefense.com/product-category/body-armor/panels/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=armor&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxd_98pT76QIVtx-tBh2kxgzMEAAYASAAEgKw0fD_BwE

1 Like

It is odd this question is asked today. Approx 14 hours ago, 0445HRS EST, I was woke by my wife who said she “heard something downstairs.” I presumed it was nothing much, and was correct.
That said, I went downstairs with a P365XL with 13 rounds in it and my 5.11 tac light that was never lit up. Made sure all rooms were clear, windows/doors shut without damage, double checked the outside lighting was on well as scheduled, and declared to myself the house was clear, went back to bed with a growl.

I was just informed she had hung a picture up using some magnet hanger thing and it had fallen. Nice. I was almost attacked by a falling picture. Sad.

That said, I opted to not throw the vest i keep at the top of my stairs over before going down. It IS there though, just a regular duty vest that can quickly go over top of head, while moving if need be. It’s right next to the AR 300Blk I also opted to not grab, and close to a wide choice of other guns that would work, like a Remington semi-auto 12ga ready to go with 00 buck, etc. etc.
The duty belt thing sounds like a good idea honestly, but knowing myself, I would never use it.

1 Like

Is that a Maxpedition Versapack?

@Hayser Thank you for the link. :+1: Perhaps what I am seeking doesn’t exist yet. Something to pull on quickly that offers decent protection. I really like the video in the link but want something easier and faster to put on.

Maybe an opportunity to create something new? I do some hiking and I run into the same issue with backpacks. None are exactly what I want. Been meaning to design my own.

1 Like

I believe it is, I found it at Goodwill for $6.00 and the tags were cut off. Never used. :+1:

1 Like

We’ll crowd-fund you… would love to see what you can design. May be a good market for these(?).

1 Like

Lately I’ve been leaving my main firearm in its holster still on my pants and belt ready to transfer to my next days outfit… OWB Blackhawk holster.

Should there be a bump in the night and I want more than my mini revolver tucked into my underwear band, I can jump into my pants and be half clothed with my full size ready to go.

1 Like

Every vest or body armor I’ve had can be donned quickly. You either put it on like a vest or toss it over your head. But keep in mind that if you have a bunch of junk attached or plates inserted, they can get heavy. That will slow you down. And if a carrier isn’t stiff, those items you attached will rattle around until you have it on.

So yes, they are fast and quiet when you buy them. But your setup is equally important.

4 Likes

This is my bump in the night bag. I throw it around my neck and I have my light and spare mag. Thought about the belt, but I have a baby and a small house, so I wanted the ability to quickly respond. It takes a couple seconds to throw this on and I get everything I need to round everyone up and get to our safe spot.

1 Like