Bill requiring churches to allow guns during worship passes Louisiana House

Share your thoughts below!

3 Likes

The church I attend allows concealed carry and our Pastor is all for it.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll probably be in the minority, but I donā€™t like laws that ā€œrequireā€ religions to do anything. Iā€™d prefer the law to be hands off. If a church wants armed security, fine. If every member of the church wants to carry a shotgun, fine. If a church doesnā€™t believe in armed resistance and doesnā€™t want guns in their building, fine. Just let us make our own choices.

10 Likes

Iā€™m with you as far as ā€˜makingā€™ houses of worship to do anything BUT this makes sense for my right to protect myself is not up too my church nor anybody else for that matter.

However, our governor still has the chance to veto this billā€¦

3 Likes

I carry at church. We have several of us that stay aware of any strange or suspicious personnel/activity. Southerland Springs is just a few miles south of us & we all know what happened there. Any assembly of God can do as they please but if they choose to protect innocent lives against evil, they should damn sure have the right to do do. PERIOD.

4 Likes

I understand. But I think churches should regulate themselves without the states doing it for them. No one can force me to attend a church. If I donā€™t like their stance on guns, I can go elsewhere.

5 Likes

Amenā€”Iā€™m with you @Ouade5

3 Likes

Not a fan at all. Government interference is onerous, whether it bans or requires a church to allow guns. Churches and businesses are free to make stupid decisions such as banning firearms, just as I am free to choose different churches or businesses.

5 Likes

Agree 100% Wade.

3 Likes

Iā€™m with you guys as well.

I donā€™t think churches or any type of house of worship should be made to participate.

And now since youā€™ve opend my eyes to what this bill meansā€”The governor will more than likely veto it. && I would understand.

Iā€™m just p*** off because ā€˜Iā€™ would like too know where my Constitutional Carry bill is atā€¦

Did they even vote on the piece of paperā€¦

3 Likes

1. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

1. A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

No one and no authority has the right to tell me how I can worship, not some governor who says we have to, ā€œFind a new way to worshipā€, nor some preacher. And no one and no authority has the right to deny me the right to bear arms.

An individual or group may ASK me to leave for some reason, and if I donā€™t then Iā€™m trespassing. But no one and no authority has the right to deny me rights guaranteed by the Bill of Rights.

I personally refuse to patronize an establishment that puts up those stupid, ā€œPlease hunt and kill our patrons!ā€ signs. But that isnā€™t the point.

The point is that the government should NEITHER tell me where and how I can worship NOR should they sanction the practice of violation of constitutional rights by a private institution by allowing it to deny my rights and THEN criminalize me should I violate them.

Itā€™s a constitutional issue.

Thatā€™s what I believe,

Kate

3 Likes

I carry in church. My pastor knows I carry in church, and I have his full support. I donā€™t go anywhere without my gun, really.

I like being able to carry my gun in church, but I donā€™t know that I like churches being forced to allow guns. I donā€™t like government forcing anything on churches. Today, we have a government that likes churches, but tomorrow, we might have a government that does not. If the government has the right to force churches to allow something we like, it also has the power to force churches to allow things we do not like.

This sets a dangerous precedent. Today, government forces churches to allow guns. Tomorrow, it forces churches to allow gay Childrenā€™s Church teachers.

I vote no. I am of the firm conviction that government should keep its grubby little paws off my church.

4 Likes

I think, from what Iā€™ve gathered, current law states if the ā€œperson who has authority over the administrationā€ allows then a permit holder can conceal carry inside.

https://www.legis.la.gov/legis/BillInfo.aspx?i=237927

2 Likes

One year later! Done!

2 Likes

That is excellent @Randall318 and more steps in the right direction.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not over until the clock strikes dooms
day or so says our opposition here in Louisiana.

I also heard in Texas they are having a s***t storm. Word of mouth says the opposite side of the isle completely got up and walked out making voting impossibleā€¦

2 Likes

My church has an excellent security team and speaking honestly, it would be a major risk for anybody to be about of rythem (carrying) with the security team and draw God foribid you actually needed a weapon there.

It would be a huge libilty because my church is so big you might harm innocent bystanders.

For example watch the horrible shooting in Texas last year! Everybody had a gun but ONE man who was trained took ONE shot ceasing the threat and saving soooo many lives!

2 Likes

However, our governor told the reps that if they did not come back to vote like what they were elected for he would hold their paychecks until they did. Now that is hitting them where it hurts way to go Gov.

JK

2 Likes